PDA

View Full Version : looking for some opinions on Wakeboard selection

john jones
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I have a 89 tristar that I ski behind currently. I have thought about trying wakeboarding this year. I have an opportunity to buy three wakeboards, looking for opinions and feedback.

I am 5'10" 190 size 10.5 shoe
My wife is 5' and 120 (I need to be careful here):) size 7.5 shoe
my daughter 8 years old 53 lbs size 3 shoe

Boards are 2005 hyperlite 145 state with x-large bindings

2006 hyperlite 130 eden with standard bindings

2004? hyperlite 119 motive with mini bindings

Boards are in great condition, guy wants $ 300.00. I have read alot of info, I figured I would get some real world opinions to help my decision.

Thanks

mitchelmilitiapres
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I think all those boards would be good set ups, not to mention a really good price. Especially considering you guys are just now introducing yourselves to the sport. Bindings on your board may be a little large, but you don't really need them to be snug if you're learning to get out of the water and ride around.

There are a few things you need to look at in detail before you make your purchase:
-Have you seen to boards up close, or only in pictures?
-Inspect the boots thoroughly to make sure there isn't any dry rot or cracking in any of the rubber (if so you'll have to replace those fairly soon.)
-Check all this inserts (holes that mount the boots to the board) in the boards to ensure that you have good boot hold to the board. (inserts in that time frame had a tendency to pull out of the glass.)

Other than that I think it would be a great purchase decision to expand the fun options for you and your family. I think you should check out wake surfing as well (easier on the body).

Hope that helped.

onewheat
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM
All 3 sound just about perfect and you can't beat the price. I'd snap them up now before he changes his mind.

curtish
02-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Get the 130. Either of the other boards will teach you bad habits if you ride them much because they are either too large or too small. I started on a board that was too large and it took me a while to get used to a board correct for my size. Once you get a board the correct size you'll appreciate it and progress quickly. Jumps will be better on a board that is not too small, and spins will be better on a board that is not too large. For $300, buy them all and sell the small one and the big one.

onewheat
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
He's looking for a board for himself, his wife and his daughter - not just one board. If he is 190 lbs - a 130 is too small for him anyway.