PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder repair or replacement

vinny205
01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I Have 1997 Prostar 205 with a mastercraft trailer. The surge brakes do not work. I pulled the master cylinder off and inside looks all rusty. Does anybody know if it can be rebuilt, and if so where can I get parts. Or where can I get a new one without spending alot of money. We live in Atlanta so any help any one can give would be appreciated, Thanks.

sand2snow22
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I Have 1997 Prostar 205 with a mastercraft trailer. The surge brakes do not work. I pulled the master cylinder off and inside looks all rusty. Does anybody know if it can be rebuilt, and if so where can I get parts. Or where can I get a new one without spending alot of money. We live in Atlanta so any help any one can give would be appreciated, Thanks.

Did it have brake fluid in it? Sometimes adding brake fluid or bleeding the brakes works!

vinny205
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
no there was no fluid in the cylinder, I bought the the boat in early 2010. Inside the master cylinder was real rusty that was a concern. I have know idea how long the brakes did not work. I would really like to rebuild it or just replace it.

ahhudgins
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my 95. Wheel cylinders were frozen solid as well. I ended up replacing the wheel cylinders and all of the lines. It has been a while but I do remember buying a few parts for the actuator but I think it's more economical to just replace the whole thing if there is rust inside of it. Mine is made by UFP and I believe I will replace mine before I tow it this spring. Waymires.com is where I ordered my parts but I think I can get them at a local trailor shop.

Jeff d
01-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Did it have brake fluid in it? Sometimes adding brake fluid or bleeding the brakes works!
+1 mine looked terrible, full of rust, and was not functioning. I flushed everything out and they've worked fine ever since.

Skipper
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
You can buy replacement parts for the UFP actuator from a number of online trailer parts stores. Does not have to be marine. I have a '95. I rebuilt the actuator once. Parts cost just under $100. A few years later I just bought a new actuator. Towing life was much better. The actuator runs about $200 - $250 depending on the vendor.

In my case I replaced the entire brake backing plate assemblies which include wheel cylinders. I also purged all of the old fluid.

Although it is good to save money and rebuild the actuator my vote is to buy a new one. It will be worth every penny.

skijwr
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
if your brake parts are UFP, then try these links. seems like I read on here that MC trailers use UFP brakes parts for many year models, but not all.
search this forum for UFP.

UFP home
http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

UFP brake parts for sale
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/ufp-disc-brake-kits-db42-db35-parts/

one more, just search google for UFP brake
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/UFP-Disc-Brakes_c_334.html

mikeg205
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
i replaced master cylinder, backing plates and brake line... pacific trailers is a good place too. good weekend project...also check the year the tires as well

east tx skier
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my 95. Wheel cylinders were frozen solid as well. I ended up replacing the wheel cylinders and all of the lines. It has been a while but I do remember buying a few parts for the actuator but I think it's more economical to just replace the whole thing if there is rust inside of it. Mine is made by UFP and I believe I will replace mine before I tow it this spring. Waymires.com is where I ordered my parts but I think I can get them at a local trailor shop.

This was my experience as well. New master cyl, new wheel cyls, and stainless brake lines.