PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet/GM - parts issues?

dpolen
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Morning guys,

I picked up a 2009 Tahoe LTZ in October which I have really enjoyed driving, have yet to pull the boat more than 500ft, so I'm excited for the snow to melt to see how much better it tows in comparison to my old SUV.

Today marks 2 weeks that my Tahoe has been in the shop. I originally dropped the truck off for a howling noise that occurred while accelerating when the Auto 4WD was engaged. It turns out initially that they found a rats nest between the manifold and the firewall...apparently this is close to the transfer case or something and the rats had destroyed an area in the firewall which the dealer thought was causing the noise...after doing $650 in repairs, the tech found a new noise in my transfer case when doing the test drive. The recommended solution, as I understand it, (Covered by Warranty) has been to replace all the bearings in the transfer case...here lies the problem...Chevrolet keeps sending my dealership damaged parts. The dealer told me on Thursday that he can't even get a completely new transfer case right now. The service manager is "hoping" that he'll have my truck back to me sometime this week, but I've heard that a few times now.

Has anyone else ever seen an issue like this with GM? I'm getting pretty frustrated as I'm driving a loaner car and would much rather be driving my nice truck. I feel like the service guys are handling me appropriately right now, but the whole situation sucks. Am I out of line if I ask them to cover some of the $650 I had to pay in repairs as compensation for the delays? I have never had to deal with anything like this before, any suggestions on how to handle other than continue to be patient? Not even sure who I could escalate to? Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks!
Doug

CantRepeat
12-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't think the dealer is going to come off on price unless you can find something wrong with the work that was performed, or work that was performed but was unnecessary in the first place. The later happens all the time. The service writer just writes in the probable cause for something and the mechanic will run with it.

Case in point: Had a friend who drop his truck off for a slight miss. The truck sat for a week and when he went back to the dealer ship it had not moved yet the mechanic said it had drop a valve. He as the for the keys and went out to the truck and look under the hood. Nothing had been touch and he ask how they knew it had drop a valve without even looking at it. After a bunch of excuses he just drove the truck home pulled a valve cover. He found that an intake valve rocker stud had broken.

Point is, even dealerships aren't above screwing you over if they think they can get away with it. You're just going to need to prove work was done that was not needed.

Good luck.

jkski
12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I recently had an issue with my GMC truck which took quite a while to resolve, however, thanks to some great advice from a fellow MC owner I took the right steps to reach a good resolve.
So, here is what I was advised to do and what worked for me:
1) If you haven't already done so, contact GM customer service and inform them of your issues. This action will likely result in them opening a case file at which point they will remain actively involved until your claim is settled.
2) Talk nice to them. This may seem like a foregone conclusion but many people forget the rule that you "get more bee's with honey...". The customer service reps are used to getting yelled at unfortunately, so take the opposite approach and they are more likely to help you in some manner, afterall, they did not create the problem and you are asking them for help.
3) Let your dealer know that you have called GM customer service and that it is not their work you are questioning, rather you are trying to help the situation along. I am sure dealerships do not like getting calls from GM corporate for things they do wrong muchless things they do right, but if you at least let them know (since they are not the problem), they should be appreciative of your actions to help.

In my case, the customer service rep called me nearly every other day to keep me updated and despite the situation, they were excellent to work with. My truck was out of warranty and they worked with me to cover the failed parts under warranty when technically, they did not have to.

Hope this helps.

dpolen
12-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I really appreciate it.

MIMC
12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Dpolen -

Look in your inbox for an IM from me - thanks!

MIMC