PDA

View Full Version : LED TV and Surround Sound

ctjahn
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
As a former DJ, I have a killa (Loud but not audiofile quality) sterio in the garage (which is worth pennies on the dollar and waaaaaay too big for the house). And our current 10 year old Sony WEGA and wimpy sterio for the home are in need of replacement.

Looking for a MODEST but good value TV and surround sound system. Thus far I am considering a Samsung 40-46" (or maybe a LG +/- 600 or so) and a 5.1 surround sound system (thinking samsung or LG; but NOT wireless; I wired my living room with wires in the crown molding; and dont want to deal with batteries)

Thoughts, opinions, input? or? Sources of info? Not really looking for a high end system just somthing of good value and reliability. Anything is better than the old outdated two speaker system and tube tv.....

Cj

east tx skier
12-26-2011, 08:27 PM
My Samsung 55" LED TV and Sony 7.1 Receiver have been bullet proof (knock wood). Front speaker stage is Klipsch. Rears are yamaha. Sum is a Dayton 12" from partsexpress. I have no complaints.

psychobilly
12-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I can't tell you much about the surround sound but we got a 55" Samsung on black friday and we are very happy with.

CantRepeat
12-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Let's get the ball rolling on this.

Plasma vs LED vs LCD !!! Watcha got?

east tx skier
12-26-2011, 09:19 PM

I don't have any plasma. But I have a big LED and 3 smaller LCDs. The LED looks a lot better and puts off a fraction of the heat.

-V-
12-26-2011, 09:57 PM
I have no problems with my rear-projection, its not the fat kind, its smaller. I have had it four 5 years and the only thing i have had to do is change the bulb, and its on for about 16 hours a day. I love the quality of it when I watch blu-rays through the PS3, and you can pick one up for under 600!!

ctjahn
12-26-2011, 10:33 PM

FOR TV:
Good question. In the research I did; I leaned toward a Samsung LED. (Aided by my experience deploying several of the smaller LED units for computers - amazing even over the LCD Samsung and similar units). Picked 40-46" due to room size.... Pretty impressed by the LG and Samsung LED tv's....

FOR STERIO:
Leaning towards 5.1 because I really dont need a 7 speaker system in my small living room Hoping for 4 small speakers to mount in the corners of the room, 1 sub, and one center (So; maybe 6.x surround); still completely unsure about the surround sound. Samsung appear to have pretty bad reviews (although cost effective); LG doesnt appear to have what I am looking for.... May need to buy an AV reciever and a speaker system...

All in all I have been out of the audio market for some time...

Completely open tho.

CJ

dpolen
12-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I just picked up a 55" LG LED at Costco last week for $899...upgraded my 1080p 42" Panasonic Plasma...have to say I can't believe the difference in picture quality. I'm really impressed with the LG product so far. Maybe it's my perception, but I think the LG TV's are a little Cheaper than the Samsung's and I didn't want the bells and whistles like 3D.

CantRepeat
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I just picked up a 55" LG LED at Costco last week for $899...upgraded my 1080p 42" Panasonic Plasma...have to say I can't believe the difference in picture quality. I'm really impressed with the LG product so far. Maybe it's my perception, but I think the LG TV's are a little Cheaper than the Samsung's and I didn't want the bells and whistles like 3D.

In all the research/reading and visual testing I did, nothing comes close to plasma for fast action stuff. IE watching football in HD on LED or LCD left a ton of motion blur on the screen. Where as the plasmas that I look at it was not noticeable. For that reason alone ( I watch a lot of sports, racing) I went with a plasma unit.

Panasonic TCP50GT30 50" 1080P High Definition Plasma TV

JBrew
12-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I just picked up a surround for my father-in-law. Did alot of research before I purchased. I didn't want to go with Bose since it is way over priced for what you get... they are mid level speakers at best and most of the time are not compatible with other receivers. I went with Definitive Technology ProCinema 600's. They are small and powerful. Set them up the other night and WOW! If you live close to a best buy they might have some to sample. As far as TV goes, he is has a 47" LG LED

jdl xstar
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
LED is my choice due to substantailly less glare if you have windows in the room. Samsung 47" LED is what I've had for a couple years now. No issues and its worked well.

For AV receiver... My choice is Marantz all day long. A few months back i had the urge to get a newer receiver for the HDMI inputs/outputs so I tried out a mid level Denon but I returned it the next day. It didn't have near the power or intensity of the Marantz. I'm not a techy but read up on Marantz and you'll see why its more powerful than your big box brands. Something about true independent dicreet amps for each channel.

FWIW I have a 5.1 speaker set up uses Paradigm speakers and sub. Been great.

shepherd
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
My wife bought me a 58" Samsung plasma a few Christmases ago. Awesome picture. No problems at all yet. Glare isn't an issue because it's in a dark room. It does put out a lot of heat, though.

DemolitionMan
12-27-2011, 03:14 PM

1 19" Samsung LCD
2 32" Samsung LCD'S
1 40" Samsung Plasma
1 50" Samsung Plasma
1 55" Samsung LCD

And I love them all.:)

NatesGr8
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I've got 2 50" Panasonic Plasmas (have had one for 4 years and another for 5) and love them both.
1 37" Panasonic LED only had it for about 1 year now but it has been great
1 32" Samsung LCD picture is great but the power supply developed a wining sound so i replaced it with the 37" LED above.
1 LG 32" Picture doesn't seem as bright as the others, its about 3 years old and still working perfectly.

For sound I have a 6.1 Onkyo system and a 5.1 with Onkyo speakers and subs, i love the sound quality from both. I would def recommend spending some time setting up the system as per the manufacturers instructions and then tweaking from there.

Nate

93ProStar205
12-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Our 42" Samsung Plasma is coming up on five years and going strong. It's coupled to a 7.1 channel Sony amp, which is pretty simple and bulletproof. Couple of things not mentioned above, Plasma generally does a better job reproducing black than some of the cheaper LED sets (they make it look grey), but new LED tech has closed that gap a bunch over the past few years. Also, Plasmas are @#$# heavy. My 42" weighs something like 80 pounds, and a similar LCD or LED model will weigh less than 30 pounds. Also, be sure to get HDMI upconversion on the receiver. My receiver will not upconvert an analog video signal to HDMI, which is quite annoying and basically doubled the number of cables behind my unit.

jamisonsbrodie
12-27-2011, 06:22 PM
50" Pana Plasma--Great!
42 Pana Plasma--Great!
32 lcd (Junk)

Upstairs: Yamaha 5.1 and Definitive technology SOLO xl bar, rear surrounds and Def Tech 15" sub

Downstairs: Denon 5.1 and Def Tech towers, center, and surrounds. (soon to be new Denon 7.1)

Love the Def techs!!!!!
Love the Plasmas!!!!!!!
Hate LCD's

MattsCraft
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
No clue on what's better, my $.02 being and old school photographer. LCD, and LED, is too sharp and un-photo realistically sharp. HD DLP gives good sharpness and better photo real display but takes up more space and bulb life and ambient light is an issue. Given that I have a DLP with spare bulbs.

For me sound is Bose all the way, (by far one of the best at processing 5.1) expensive but I think worth it, small speakers and sound is incredible! By the way, 5.1 is 4 surround speakers, center channel and the .1 is the sub. (Lower Bandwidth)

ctjahn
12-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I should add. I hope to move in the next 12 months... But as grumpy old men say "You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see what comes first"

Is it worth buying now or delaying the purchase for the new house (unknown size/shape of living space) And risk moving damage (not sure if they are sensitive to moving - one would think not since they are moved all the time in boxes....

Anxious for a new system...

Cj

BriEOD
12-28-2011, 12:09 PM
You can make yourself blind reading all the thoughts and reviews on plasma/LCD/LED. I spent a long time reading and shopping before I bought a couple of TVs last year (like 6 months). As you'll see when you read there are pros and cons to plasma vs. LED/LCD. Plasma has way blacker blacks, but tend to be energy hogs--they suck a lot of electricity. The lighter colors tend to be crisper on the LCD/LED TVs. Plus, they use far less electricity--especially the LEDs. I decided I wanted an LED due to it being the newest technology and it had the least energy consumption. Once I decided on the LED, I had to figure out what brand. I think Samsung has the best picture. However, I think that Sony has a superior processor and TV "guts." I ended up buying a 52" Sony LED that was glare resistant and I've been extremely happy. In addition, I picked up a 40" Sony LCD and a 22" Sony LCD. All of them have been great.

CantRepeat
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
You can make yourself blind reading all the thoughts and reviews on plasma/LCD/LED. I spent a long time reading and shopping before I bought a couple of TVs last year (like 6 months). As you'll see when you read there are pros and cons to plasma vs. LED/LCD. Plasma has way blacker blacks, but tend to be energy hogs--they suck a lot of electricity. The lighter colors tend to be crisper on the LCD/LED TVs. Plus, they use far less electricity--especially the LEDs. I decided I wanted an LED due to it being the newest technology and it had the least energy consumption. Once I decided on the LED, I had to figure out what brand. I think Samsung has the best picture. However, I think that Sony has a superior processor and TV "guts." I ended up buying a 52" Sony LED that was glare resistant and I've been extremely happy. In addition, I picked up a 40" Sony LCD and a 22" Sony LCD. All of them have been great.

Plasmas, most of them anyway, do seem to run hotter and use more juice. The only reason I went with a plasma was the refresh rate and no motion blur on fast moving TV, mainly sports. I saw a lot of blur on LCDs when watching an HD feed. The players uniforms would blur into the grass pretty badly. It was very distracting to me.

The other negatives that I heard, read about or was told by a sales man turned out to not be true. The two biggest ones were life span and burn in. The life span on plasmas is well over 20 years viewing time when used 8 hours a day. I'd assume other things would fail before the screen would. The new anti burn in tech seems to have ended the burn in issues as well.

Six of one, half dozen of the others. All you can really do is make sure you go and watch the TVs in the same kind of lighting you have in your house. Watch the same programs you would normally watch (don't judge a TV just by the blue ray that is playing in the store) at home and see which you like best. You can always use online reviews to narrow down the search. Crutchfield seems to have some good reviews by end users.

swatguy
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
As mentioned all have their benefits.

Cantrepeat is right on about the plasma having quicker refresh and being better overall for sports. However in my bright living room the plasma was awful. I swapped to an LCD and was super impressed. My plasma is in a dark basement now and give a great picture. I have a 55 vizio upstairs and a 55 Samsung plasma in the basement. I am extremely happy with both.

As far as surround sound.......while no expert o too have 2 Onkyo systems. As far as the "big box kits" go they are rated really high. Sure there is obviously better, but I don't have a theater in my home, just like the umff I get. I haven't had one issue at all with 3 of the Onkyo's I have owned

east tx skier
12-28-2011, 05:31 PM
My brother in law has been impressed with the off angle view on his plasma versus LED/LCD. As for the motion blur, I think that some are more sensitive to it than others. We watch plenty of football on our 55" Samsung LED with a 120 hz refresh rate and I rarely, if ever, notice any motion blur.

One last thing, when you get it home, spend some time in the settings menu. Either use a video adjustment DVD/Blu-Ray or go to CNET, find its review of your model, and find what settings they used before their review. I did the latter (even though I have the Video Essentials disc) and the picture has been spectacular. Most home theater processors have a microphone that you can put in the listening position to setup the audio. That worked well although I found the subwoofer needed a little adjustment.

john jones
12-30-2011, 01:20 AM
I have a 40" samsung lcd, good tv nice pic.

I have a older samsung 32" lcd decent pic.

I have a 27" led nice pic but cant tell the difference between the lcd and led. (amateur eye)

Not sure what is best but I can say that I have a optoma 1080p projector and a 100" stewart screen in my theater room. It is the best of all :) Surround is a yamaha reciever and speakers, rocks the house, my untrained eye can tell it looks good!

ski_king
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I have a 55" LED Sony I bought in 12/10 and a 55" LED Samsung from 06/11, both 240 Hz.

Both have great picture, however I thing the Samsung is slightly better. I am looking at upgrading the sound system on the Samsung as it is the one we use the most, the stock sound system on the Sony is adequate for what we use it for.