PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone Labs Report on 2006 MCX

Turnandburn
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Being an anal retentive Mastercraft owner I recently received the oil analysis report on my 2006 MCX from Blackstone Labs located in Fort Wayne, IN (my engine has 322 hours):

This is the first time we've seen an Indmar MCX engine, so yours is the first sample in our average file. However, we've seen enough gasoline marine engines to know a good one when it rolls through the lab, and this is a good one. Wear metals are low and nicely balanced. Silicon might be a little high, so if you haven't checked the air filter yet, you might want to do so. Fuel was present, and fuel is a very common find in marine engines. It's usually from low-rpm operation, and it's not causing any problems. No moisture found. Air and oil filtration are normal. Nice engine!

I guess this is what I expected having performed all required maintenance and I have great dealer (Redline) in Madison, WI that takes care great care of my baby!

ncsone
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
That is good to know. I have the same engine (2005) with about the same number of hours.

mikeg205
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Being an anal retentive Mastercraft owner I recently received the oil analysis report on my 2006 MCX from Blackstone Labs located in Fort Wayne, IN (my engine has 322 hours):

This is the first time we've seen an Indmar MCX engine, so yours is the first sample in our average file. However, we've seen enough gasoline marine engines to know a good one when it rolls through the lab, and this is a good one. Wear metals are low and nicely balanced. Silicon might be a little high, so if you haven't checked the air filter yet, you might want to do so. Fuel was present, and fuel is a very common find in marine engines. It's usually from low-rpm operation, and it's not causing any problems. No moisture found. Air and oil filtration are normal. Nice engine!

I guess this is what I expected having performed all required maintenance and I have great dealer (Redline) in Madison, WI that takes care great care of my baby!

A little anal retentiveness or OCD-MC keeps the boats looking nice and running will.

madcityskier
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Where do usually head out in Madison? Couple buddies and I are on Monona a lot and Waubesa occasionally.

agarabaghi
12-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I wonder how mine would do since it has 1212 hours on it. 2006 MCX =P

d2jp
12-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Where do usually head out in Madison? Couple buddies and I are on Monona a lot and Waubesa occasionally.

I'm in Madison every August at the Lake Monona Convention Center, usually staring out at the lake watching folks have fun while I'm in some meeting inside the building!

h2oskiluvr
12-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for posting. I have a 05 MCX with 280 hours. Totally babied and Redline has been taking care of it since day one. Good to know it is such a well built motor. I have had no issues whatsoever in 7 years. Not one single issue that caused me to miss even an hour on the water. Thank you MasterCraft and thanks to Redline too.

mikeg205
12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
The base block on these 350's "better" be bullet proof after all this time. Both the 350 and 351 if taken care and run with the right oil can run for thousands of hours. There's an s&s owner with over 2500 hours on his 351 on this forum... his secret was changing the oil out and keeping an eye on the engine temp(sooo critical)

Turnandburn
12-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Mad City Skier:

I live in Bettendorf, Iowa but keep my boat at Redline over the winter. I ski at an undsiclosed location on the Mississippi River near my home which lies on the banks of the Mississippi River. My boat is moored on a boat lift in a marina one mile downriver. My daugher lives in Verona, WI though working for Epic and loves to ski.

CantRepeat
12-25-2011, 11:27 AM
The base block on these 350's "better" be bullet proof after all this time. Both the 350 and 351 if taken care and run with the right oil can run for thousands of hours. There's an s&s owner with over 2500 hours on his 351 on this forum... his secret was changing the oil out and keeping an eye on the engine temp(sooo critical)

Nothing is bullet proof. You'll get out of what you put into it. PM will go a long way to the longevity of your motor.

mikeg205
12-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Nothing is bullet proof. You'll get out of what you put into it. PM will go a long way to the longevity of your motor.

Okay +1 on the above...can't abuse....okay how about....

How about the 350 and 351 are bulletproof or damn near bullet proof if you perform proper pm on it...?? :D

mikeg205
12-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Mad City Skier:

I live in Bettendorf, Iowa but keep my boat at Redline over the winter. I ski at an undsiclosed location on the Mississippi River near my home which lies on the banks of the Mississippi River. My boat is moored on a boat lift in a marina one mile downriver. My daugher lives in Verona, WI though working for Epic and loves to ski.

I love it... I ski at an undisclosed location.... reminds of mission impossible... "if any of your skiers are caught or fall they will be disavowed ......" :cool:

That's a nice part of river there...nice and wide, I cross it when I travel for business many times of the year... never see much traffic....

Matt L.
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I pull oil on all my vehicles pre-purchase. Saved me once from buying a minivan with a shot tranny.

Money well spent!

03geetee
01-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I know where Redline is as its on the way up to our Lake house, are they pretty good with some vintage stuff? Might have a few things done in a season or two like new shaft bushings and packing stuffing for the rudder and propshaft.

Any info is appreciated!

PS cant say enough about good PM and checking your fluids all the while doing it consistently. Same oil, same time, ect really go a long way. I cant wait to crack 3K hours with the original longblock (minus timing gearset which was done as a preventative).

JTR

Turnandburn
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I know where Redline is as its on the way up to our Lake house, are they pretty good with some vintage stuff? Might have a few things done in a season or two like new shaft bushings and packing stuffing for the rudder and propshaft.

Any info is appreciated!

PS cant say enough about good PM and checking your fluids all the while doing it consistently. Same oil, same time, ect really go a long way. I cant wait to crack 3K hours with the original longblock (minus timing gearset which was done as a preventative).

JTR
Redlline has always taken great care of me. I purchased my 2006 PS197 from Redline so that is when I became a customer. I don't have any experience to know their record working on vintage stuff. The good guy owner is Paul Vittuci so call him to learn more. Good luck!

mikeg205
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Any info is appreciated!

JTR

$3K hours...outstanding...good call on the timing gear as preventative maintenance - at what hours did you decide to do that? I want that many hours...one my '95... :D

03geetee
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Previous owner did them around 2K hours, I bought it from someone who is just like me when it comes to keeping things running so I got lucky! When I bought the boat I asked for any records, reciepts, stuff like that and he pulls out a book with every nut, washer, part he every put in the boat and when. He did a new water pump as part of the deal since he was in there anyway he decided to pull the old gears and chain because of some wear and slack before it became an issue.

Still running good, you have plenty of time bro!

JTR

mikeg205
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Previous owner did them around 2K hours, I bought it from someone who is just like me when it comes to keeping things running so I got lucky! When I bought the boat I asked for any records, reciepts, stuff like that and he pulls out a book with every nut, washer, part he every put in the boat and when. He did a new water pump as part of the deal since he was in there anyway he decided to pull the old gears and chain because of some wear and slack before it became an issue.

Still running good, you have plenty of time bro!

JTR

I am soooo happy....the reason I ask is because I want to restore a S&S when I am an empty nester and I love taken apart the engines you can work on... :D:D:D:D

03geetee
01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I am soooo happy....the reason I ask is because I want to restore a S&S when I am an empty nester and I love taken apart the engines you can work on... :D:D:D:D

Anytime man!

I would love to do another one, but I am not selling this in order to do so, would love to help someone else!

JTR

CantRepeat
01-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Anytime man!

I would love to do another one, but I am not selling this in order to do so, would love to help someone else!

JTR

The true spirit of TT is alive with this one!!! :love:

/tiphat to you brother.

03geetee
01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Im blushing!

JTR

mikeg205
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
laughing my tail off.... you live close...so when I get started... it will be a short ride... hopefully the wives will get along...will add a flat screen to the man cave for the NFL... :D

03geetee
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
NHL!!!!!!!!

Im in bro!

JTR

mikeg205
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
ok nhl it is...

03geetee
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Sick!

JTR