PDA

View Full Version : Hot water shower with closed cooling?

woodrowskis
12-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Has anyone installed hot water shower with closed cooling?
I have not had time to really look at the engine and think it through. But it seems hard to believe it can't be done. There are no kits out there though.

Boat is 2002 197 with the 6.0 L

mastercraft210
12-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Has anyone installed hot water shower with closed cooling?
I have not had time to really look at the engine and think it through. But it seems hard to believe it can't be done. There are no kits out there though.

Boat is 2002 197 with the 6.0 L
It is not possible because you have no constant hot water.You can use a seperate watertank with a intercooler to heat up that cold water.But i think that the intercooler will not produce enough temperature.
Maybe you can messure the temperature from the water leaving the engine to the risers.

woodrowskis
12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
When you say there is no constant hotwater, I am not sure what you mean. Hot or at least warm water leaves the shell and tube. I think the exit is via a hose to the engine (possibly one to each side of the block). Not sure what all it cools after the shell and tube but I know it goes to the exhaust. I should get to check this weekend. I would be concerned if it contributes to cooling the heads at all but I don't believe it does.

To warm your bindings, drip down your wetsuit, soak your gloves, you really don't need much water. A friend has a freeze plug removed with not much more than 1/4" tubing and it meets those needs.
There is water going to the transmission oil cooler but don't remember if that is cold or after. Often a meduim warm temperature water would be used for this in industrial applications. The water would be warm enough to heat the transmission initially and but not too hot to keep the running temperature in the optimum range. If it is warm water, it will probably work somewhat but it is probably cold.

Starting to sound like an on demand heater (like for your house) and a pump are required (kidding/ hopefully)