PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Alpine PDX marine amps?

g-Dog
12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I was thinking of upgrading to the PDX-1.600M and PDX-4.100M amps...but I'm not really sure. The specs look good and they've gotta sound better than my old Soundstream. I currently have the Alpine 9886M head unit and Polk MM speakers and subs. Any opinions on these amps? I was an old school fosgate guy back in the day, but I'd rather buy a new marine amp than a 20+ year old Power 650...I think.:confused:

CantRepeat
12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm running both those amps. Haven't had any issues with them.

agarabaghi
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
suppose to be good amps. A bit pricey but oh well. Im having great luck with audiopipe and they have a marine line.

east tx skier
12-21-2011, 09:20 AM
If it were me, I'd save a little cash and buy the regular pdx amps and keep them in a dry storage compartment that you keep ventilated when you're not using the boat. I have had no trouble running regular car audio gear (yes, I know Polks are marine rated) in my boat. HU and amp are regular old JVC and Infinity respectively and have been trouble free.

dboat
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I have the pdx5m and have only run it for a season. It was pricey, but am happy with it so far. I am running 2 pairs of mids and 1 JL free air ten.

jamisonsbrodie
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
If it were me, I'd save a little cash and buy the regular pdx amps and keep them in a dry storage compartment that you keep ventilated when you're not using the boat. I have had no trouble running regular car audio gear (yes, I know Polks are marine rated) in my boat. HU and amp are regular old JVC and Infinity respectively and have been trouble free.

Ditto on the Marine stuff. I have always used regular car grade and have never had an issue. Unless your amps are going to be subjected to constant high moisture, it will be fine. Trailering or housed under a canopy will keep things dry. Unless you regularly cover your boat while its still wet, you wont have an issue.

EarmarkMarine
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
The Alpine PDXs are very good amplifiers and have always worked well for us whether in marine or automotive applications. Also look at the JL Audio XD600/1 and the XD400/1. If you have six in-boat coaxials versus four then look at the XD600/1 in combination with the XD600/6.

David
Earmark Marine

g-Dog
12-21-2011, 08:43 PM
You can get both amps for around $600-$650 if you search hard enough on the internet. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Or I can get this for $700 on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-POWER-650-New-Mint-/260920026548?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3cc00ba5b4

The old school Fosgate is very underrated AND the power is @ 12V not 14.4V. I'd have to do a little series/parallel wiring for the main speakers to get them to work. A plus is that it also has a built in fan.

Hell...as usual I'm confused on what to do.

woodrowskis
12-22-2011, 12:50 AM
I dont remember the model numbers but I am running the 4 channel. I wish the 4 plus sub amp had been for sale when I purchased mine. I saw out a few months later.
I also have the 9886M and am using some JL audio speakers and does very well considering I have no subwoofer. Wait, it is Christmas