PDA

View Full Version : New Board Question

-V-
12-19-2011, 08:00 PM
So I am in the market for a new board and bindings. (if anyone remembers what happened to my last set) I am seriously considering buying the 2012 Ronix Vault with Divide Bindings. I have searched all over, watched videos and priced it everywhere and I was looking for some input from more experianced wakeboarders and purchasers. The bottom price I have found was $349.99. Is that a good deal? Is it a good board? should I be looking for something else? I am a begginer rider. I can move around a bit. No landed jump yet. 6'2" 225 lbs. What are your thoughts?

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I ride a vault. You are aware that the edges are different hs and ts? I happen to be a fan of it, and apparently it helps, honestly i dont know.

I weight 150, 5'10" and ride the 134. It rides a bit bigger than normal 134 due to the blunt nose and tail, which i like. It's not that slow either, another plus. I ride it fin-less and find it to be much more forgiving that way.

As for reliability, well ive broken 1, but don't let that discourage you, I break all of my boards.

As for bindings, I like Ronix Vaults, but only becuase they did not put awkward pressure on my screws which are in my ankle.

Are you going to purchase it locally or online?

That whole beginner / intermediate / advance board is a bunch of crap in my eyes

-V-
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I am going to purchase it online. The ts/he edge is one thing that i thought was cool. I am looking at getting the 144. How did you break the one? is there a real difference between ot/ct?

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I dunno I have a tendency to snap boards in half, Ronix, Hyperlite, LF ... no clue why... clearly doing something wrong haha...

I grew up riding ot, and made the switch to ct and wont go back. Not sure perforance wise, but def look cooler ;)

If i was buying new boots, I would pick these up: http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/12310

Have you looked at any of the CWB line (have to put the plug in for my boy Josh Palma haha)

-V-
12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
That price for the bindings are a bit out of my range. As far as the CWB boards, i really don't see any that I like. Besides looking cooler, is there anything you notice different between ot/ct? And does that price for the combo seem decent or could I find a better deal somewhere else?

scott023
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
The Vault is a great all around board. Haven't heard any complaints about the one we take on our boat for friends to use.

agarabaghi
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
That price for the bindings are a bit out of my range. As far as the CWB boards, i really don't see any that I like. Besides looking cooler, is there anything you notice different between ot/ct? And does that price for the combo seem decent or could I find a better deal somewhere else?

Not really, only thing i can think of is with older style bindings (im talking 02 ultra suctions, and 03 belmonts) i have came around on a flip hard and some how my foot like slide out the front a good few inches haha... other than that nothing really.

Have you checked the price of your combo compared to those on buywake.com ? Buywake.com usually has the cheapest ive seen .

swatguy
12-22-2011, 09:04 PM
The Vault is a a decent board. Like others have mentioned its directional in the sense you have a ts edge and a heelside edge.
The Ronix District is also a great board in the line to grow with. It has great characteristics that will help beginner all he way to advanced riders. I would def be looking in the 144sz range for yourself.

There is a huge performance difference in closed toe bindings vs open toe. The closed toe bindings are much much more resonsive. Think of it like a pair of sandals vs a pair of ski boots. I know a drastic comparison but you will get the idea. With the sandlas you raise your toes and then your foot goes a and then your ankle finally goes enabling the sandal to lift tranfersing the weight to your heelside edge.........Now lift your toes in your ski boots its an alomost instant energy transfer right from the start of the first movement. Again a drastic comparison I know but the fact the ski boot encompases you whole foot all the way to the toes allows you to get that instant energy transfer. The key is to get the right size closed toes. You want to mold them with a sock on. When yo stand straight up you toe should barely touch.....then when you bend you knees in your riding stance it should come off just a bit. Remember the boats will get a 1/4 size bigger after breaking in and getting used a bit and will give you a little more toe room. The most common mistake made is going to big and then they break in and out way too big and you foot sloshes around. With the proper fit yo toes dong bang up front. I also recall having older open toes and having my whole foot slideout the front on some wrecks totally freaking me out and being a pain to try and get back on.

The other main difference is closed toe bindings have allowed you to get much more closer to the board with bindings. Most closed toes these days have direct contact with the top of the board through there insole. The open toes sit higher off the board giving you a little less response as it takes time for energy to transfer to the board.

While which is the best.....the consesus is that closed toes have much more of a performance edge. If you are switching from open toes to closed toes it will be a bit of a difference aand alittle taking time to get used to.

A great open toe or closed toe Ronix binding is the Kai. It comes in both ot and ct.

The other major thing is once yo go to a closed toe binding its yours...ITs hard to play musical board for people you take out that dont have a board of their own. So if you still pass your board around a ton the obvious advantage of open toes is the multiple size aspect.

I have yet to meet a person that has tried some closed toes and not fell in love.

Some decent pricepoint open toes are the liquid force transit, and liquid force alpha's. Also in Ronix the Kai as mentioned. For some reason my foot just doesn't like CWB bindings. though some people love them. The only downside to the CWB's is they tend to be bit heavier. It's a trade off for the Hinge system

agarabaghi
12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Quite the write up...

Don't know if i buy into the drastic performance enhancements between open and closed toe boots. The advancement in base plates is really where the power / responsive transfer has come from in my opinion.

Also, for the most part besides some variations on spins and what not, there hasn't been a lot of new tricks landed. Those new tricks which have been landed, I would not say it was because of ct boots.

swatguy
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I can tell you for sure tho that the performce aspect is very noticeable between a ct binding and an open toe. Take a spin in a closed toe and it will change your riding for sure. (although I know you made the switch)
Just the evolution of the sport. The equipment never provides for many new tricks......Its mainly the riders....those guys could pull off any of their tricks in ct's or ot's and just about any boat. I mean seriously tho how many times can you keep spinning in circles :) 1260's are about the limit. ;) and to think i am stuck at 5's wrecking my face off. I don't know how those guys knees dont explode. I would argue tho that board technology has allowed bigger wakes and bigger boots off the wake......

-V-
12-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Very nice write up, I think I will have to start looking at a set of CT, I am still kinda bent on the Vault, maybe just because the HS/TS edges are different. I just dunno, but I do know I will have to look at some different set-ups at the boat show coming up in Jan here in Cleveland.

agarabaghi
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
What size boot are you?

-V-
12-24-2011, 05:39 PM
no clue, it all depends on the company. Nike 12, Belleville combat boots 10.5, Cocran jump boots 13, so it really all depends.

Gjones
12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Totally agree with Swatguy's writeup. I went from an old pair of ot belmonts to a pair of ct ronix reliks this past summer and I instantly noticed the very connection to the board he is talking about. Incredibly responsive. Ct for me from now on.