PDA

View Full Version : Teak deck install?

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
So I ordered a new teak deck as i was fed up with my fiberglass one. Im assuming i need to re use my mounting brackets from the old one.

I was planning on just putting the brackets on the boat, then resting the teak on them, and making where to drill.

Anything else i should do?

03geetee
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
If you have three brackets like my old 83' has I would center the teak where you want it and mark and drill the center bracket first. If not you make have trouble keeping it perfectly centered if you start on the left or right sides.

Just my .02

JTR

captain planet
12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
So I ordered a new teak deck as i was fed up with my fiberglass one. Im assuming i need to re use my mounting brackets from the old one.

I was planning on just putting the brackets on the boat, then resting the teak on them, and making where to drill.

Anything else i should do?

If the teak deck is the new style solid decks without slats, you will want to install your screws at a slight angle when installing them. The new style solid platforms don't have any place for the air/water to go through them when the boat is sitting and waves come bye and there is a lot of vertical force when waves come up under the platform. If the screw is in perpendicular it can eventually be pulled off the screw by a wave or by backing the boat in at a ramp too rapidly.

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Im not sure which one it will be, its going to be the oem teak deck for a 2006 x1

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
If you have three brackets like my old 83' has I would center the teak where you want it and mark and drill the center bracket first. If not you make have trouble keeping it perfectly centered if you start on the left or right sides.

Just my .02

JTR

only 2 brackets.

I should have mentioned what boat it was ... 2006 X1

captain planet
12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Im not sure which one it will be, its going to be the oem teak deck for a 2006 x1

IIRC, that is solid and you should put the screws in at an angle as I noted.

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
will do, but unfortunately my friend drove out there to pick it up, and they could not get it to fit in his lexus rx330 ha... i wonder if my land rover will have better luck...

agarabaghi
12-24-2011, 04:36 PM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5993/imagerph.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5817/imageicq.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5467/imagewyi.jpg

Cloaked
12-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Anything else i should do?Nice looking board. What did that set you back? Where did you get it?

That looks good. Now let it dry out and wash it once a year... :D :D

BrooksfamX2
12-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Looks good....

Fast50dad
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
IIRC, that is solid and you should put the screws in at an angle as I noted.

Captain,

I took my teak deck off our 03 209 to add teak oil to the platform at the end of this season. I know my screws were taken out perpendicularly. Should I wood putty these and put in at an angle, I even had tapered screws to reinforce that they should go in perpendicularly? We have not had issues with the waves, but if MC installed them this way, should I change it?

Thanks,
Luke

agarabaghi
12-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Nice looking board. What did that set you back? Where did you get it?

That looks good. Now let it dry out and wash it once a year... :D :D

about $860 from your local mastercraft dealer ... lol ouch... thanks santa!

agarabaghi
12-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I just went a slight angle, mainly because it was hard to even get them to go in straight with the drill hah...

CantRepeat
12-25-2011, 10:37 AM
about $860 from your local mastercraft dealer ... lol ouch... thanks santa!

Did you try teak world?

Cloaked
12-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Did you try teak world?
Exactly what I was hoping to hear back, a price from them... I'm not a retail person...

Thank you just the same... Board looks nice, regardless.... Don't ruin it with teak oil.... :D

agarabaghi
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Did you try teak world?

nah, it was a gift from mom, and it was easy to just call the dealer and have it ordered. ...so how much less would it have been from teak world lol