PDA

View Full Version : new alternator

cwarndahl
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey All
so i was out yesterday, and i ran both batteries out of juice. so i am assuming i need a new alternator. i did a thread search found that ski dim seems to be the cheapest. anything i should check before i order one. they are not cheap this is for a 01 MC x-10. anything to look for when i replace it?

BrooksfamX2
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I would check the alternator with a meter to make sure it was/wasnt working first.
What did your dash volt meter read while running?

mikeg205
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
You can have the output checked at NAPA - or any good autoparts store. What was your gauge showing do you remember? Can you charge your batteries and check the gauge on your dash?

I would pull the starter and make sure its not all corroded...probably a good idea to lube the starter gear mechanism... check the connection posts.

Reverend Bob
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
If you did not test it, or have the means to test it, remove the alternator and have an electrical shop take a look at it. Worse case, have them rework your existing alt. It will be cheaper, might give you a better idea of what is going on if it turns out to be a bad regulator, or the alternator tests out ok.

cwarndahl
12-19-2011, 01:44 PM
so best thing to do seems to pull it. the volt meter on the dash read real different yesterday normally it reads 13 14 volts after i start it, it was reading more like 11 then down to 8. i was able to watch it go down on the 2nd battery. also i have not looked at the placement of the alternator. i had a friend from out of town with me so i didn't take allot of time just put it back in the rack. so if it mounts low on the engine instead of top there is a chance the alternator got wet. i learned that my from ballast bag has a leak and filled up my boat pretty good about a month ago so can they survive if they get wet or actually soaked?

mikeg205
12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
like in submerged? - I doubt it... they are marinized to eliminate sparks in the motor box...but fresh water can screw things up on the electrical stuff - galvanic corrosion... when you pull the alternator you could get lucky and all it needs is a good cleaning - unless it fried....

swatguy
12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
The ruptured ballast bag might have done the damage and it finally failed later on. Water sloshes around in there pretty good and like you said its towards the bottom. I would take it out and take it to a local shop. They can usually rebuild it and even give you a bump up in size if you need/ want it. Doing this will save you at least 50% off a new one if not more. Usually takes a day here to rebuild.

cwarndahl
12-19-2011, 02:18 PM
so it seem the best thing to do is pull it and have a electrical shop rebuild it for me. think of staying ahead of the game, can you guys think of anything else i should look at because of my ballast bag problem?

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Either have them rebuild it and put back on or order a new one with more amp capacity and save this one for a spare.

-V-
12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Would a regular car alt work? if so, Summit up here in ohio has some good alt's for under 100 bucks.

Cloaked
12-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Would a regular car alt work?.No. Not even....

swatguy
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
so it seem the best thing to do is pull it and have a electrical shop rebuild it for me. think of staying ahead of the game, can you guys think of anything else i should look at because of my ballast bag problem?

Just check your trans fluid. MAke sure no water got in there. Sometimes if your seal is worn it can get inside

-V-
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
No. Not even....

here it comes (the stupid question, but i really don't know so i am going to ask)

why not?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
here it comes (the stupid question, but i really don't know so i am going to ask)

why not?

The starter an alternator on an inboard engine are shielded to prevent sparks which would have the potential to blow up your boat.............automotive parts are not.

...............................and there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers.

-V-
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
The starter an alternator on an inboard engine are shielded to prevent sparks which would have the potential to blow up your boat.............automotive parts are not.

...............................and there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers.

ok.......I did not know that, thanks.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
ok.......I did not know that, thanks.

No problem at all. It is not uncommon at all to find automotive carburetors, starters and alternators on inboards. That is why you hear of one exploding from time to time. That and not running the blower prior to start-up will do it.

oldairboater
12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
The flash suppressors look like screen wire and they cover all the openings. On the carbs the float overflows always go into the carbs. Easy to tell the difference once you know what you are looking for. I actually have witnessed an explosion and flash fire in a inboard. I was waiting to launch my boat and these fools were steadily trying to crank an inboard. I could smell gas fumes a good twenty to thirty feet away. I was looking at the person sitting on the engine cowling when it went off. The dude was actually blowed about twenty foot into the air and about twenty feet out into the river. All three had flash burns and were talking faster than an auctioneer when I went to help them.