PDA

View Full Version : Riser gasket

cwarndahl
12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
so my local rip you off shop says i need riser gaskets. granted the bolts look bad but upon inspection i could not see any leakage and the gaskets that are sticking out a bit look really new. thoughts?

cwarndahl
12-18-2011, 10:38 AM
also i bought the kit i was thinking of putting in the SS bolts and call it a day.

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 11:14 AM
no leaks? I would not change... get some pb blaster and spray the bolts and keep them lubricated so they don't rust more...

-V-
12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
so my local rip you off shop says i need riser gaskets. granted the bolts look bad but upon inspection i could not see any leakage and the gaskets that are sticking out a bit look really new. thoughts?

so if it is a local rip you off shop, why do you go there? or better yet, why did you go there?

Lumbergh
12-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Personally I would spend the $25 and get 2 new riser attach kits (bolts/washers/gasket) and replace those.

Rust is only going to compromise those bolts going forward. Then they seize and either won't come out or shear when you try to remove them.

An hour or two to do the job and you are done for years going forward.

YMMV, after all its your boat.

cwarndahl
12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
the repair shop is in the marina where i keep my boat, so it was easy to go there. but every time i go there they come up with repairs i never seem to need. like those gaskets to me look just like the ones i did to do the job. i mean that color is spot on zero fade. if i would have had the extra hand to hold them in the pic i would have shown it. so long story short i dont go there that how i found this forum was all the repairs they said i needed. making it sound like i couldn't ever drive the boat until i gave them 5k.

Cloaked
12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
the repair shop is in the marina where i keep my boat, so it was easy to go there. but every time i go there they come up with repairs i never seem to need. like those gaskets to me look just like the ones i did to do the job. i mean that color is spot on zero fade. if i would have had the extra hand to hold them in the pic i would have shown it. so long story short i dont go there that how i found this forum was all the repairs they said i needed. making it sound like i couldn't ever drive the boat until i gave them 5k.If it isn't broken, no need to fix it. The gaskets look fine and so what if a riser gasket leaks a bit for a while? It's discharge water. Not like it's an oil leak. Just a different perspective for a change. I would recommend (as stated by another poster) that the bolts are attended just to keep the situation from worsening. At that point, you have the opportunity to remove the riser, change the gaskets out, and also check the condition of your exhaust hoses (internally).

Anti-sieze on all hose and threaded connections when reassembling ($0.02). And on a personal preference, I'd replace the riser bolts with hex head fasteners. No real reason other than preference. Most gasket installations that I have done always have some gasket showing. Not to worry, it's a machine under a cover... :D

Not much here that some of the smarter guys can't advise you in lieu of the marina.

Go into your user control panel and update your signature line with boat make and model for reference :-) .

Also consider propping your engine cover open when you store the boat (daily or seasonally). I use a 4" wooden block to allow some air circulation.

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
One good thing to not you don't have the OCD - MC... :D No big deal to change...but it would eat at me know that rust was eating away at the power plant of my Mastercraft.... but's that's jsut me just sayin'....but then again...you might want to check the exhaust hoses...cloaked has a great picture of what you can't see... :D

Jerseydave
12-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Got any pics of your manifolds as viewed from the side? Usually you will see rust stains coming down from the gaskets if they are leaking.
IIRC, leaking gaskets can also allow water to enter the combustion chambers....def not a good thing. Sometimes you can tell this by looking at the plugs to see if they are excessively whiteish on the tips (water intrusion)

Personally, if it were my 10 years old engine I would tackle the job now to avoid future problems.
Are you in a salt water area? There is a good amount of rust on your fasteners. Coat that engine with WD-40 once in a while to prevent some of that rust from forming.

-V-
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
where you at in TX? and where do you store the boat?

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Personally I would spend the $25 and get 2 new riser attach kits (bolts/washers/gasket) and replace those.

Rust is only going to compromise those bolts going forward. They they seize and either won't come out or shear when you try to remove them.

An hour or two to do the job and you are done for years going forward.

YMMV, after all its your boat.

+1 on this...my OCD made me do mine......it's really easy to do... PB blaster or other pentrating oil first.

the hardest thing is to make the two...cutting down the allen wrench to fit...lol...

cwarndahl
12-19-2011, 12:01 PM
i keep the boat at emerald point marina in the dry stack. the prevouis owner did keep it in a wet slip, i think i will do the header gaskets and exhaust hoses any way, i have the winter to do this and several other projects. i put my boat make and model in my signature i hope that makes it show up. also no salt where we are at.
thanks again for all the input

mikeg205
12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Header gaskets? you plan to pull the exhaust manifold too? or just the risers? The rust on the bolts is indicative of the wet slip... all maybe good...but risers easy to do...

Lumbergh
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Once the risers are off, just 4 more bolts to pull the manifold. Super easy.

Of course skidim carries a manifold install kit that is sweet for cheap as well.

Just saying.

mikeg205
12-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Once the risers are off, just 4 more bolts to pull the manifold. Super easy.

Of course skidim carries a manifold install kit that is sweet for cheap as well.

Just saying.

Really - how were the surface there when you pulled that on your?

cwarndahl
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
no just planning on the riser. sorry i say header sometimes on accident, i will do them if i need to get em resurfaced.

mikeg205
12-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Funny mine has that lip where your rusting along the front side of the riser/manifold joint. When I was re-attaching mine today - even though I marked the riser to the manifold - The rider plate did not 100% cover the manifold plate...everything line up the gasket screws and holes...My old casket covered that spot before...those green gaskets are a fuzz short on mine..