PDA

View Full Version : Rutter and steering

cwarndahl
12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey All:
so i have a slight bind up when i am at speed turning right and left. i looked at my rutter and has a slight bend to it. I'm thinking of pulling it and having it straightened. looks like i pull the cotter pin and I'm good. is that a correct assessment. also do you think it may be the steering cable going south?

Reverend Bob
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Which part is the rutter?

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 11:17 AM
rudder definitely looks bent....have something supporting or someone ready to hold rudder when you pull the pin in the rudder housing...order a housing rebuild kit while your at it... www.skidim.com

EricB
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Remove the steering cable from the rudder mount on top. Then rotate the rudder (by hand) to see if the binding is truly in the rudder and stuffing box. While cable end is removed, turn the steering wheel to see if the bind is in the cable. Don't take it all apart until you determine where the bind is.

cwarndahl
12-18-2011, 01:05 PM
sorry for the misspell i was under caffeinated this morning!!!

Jerseydave
12-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Is it hard to steer when on the trailer? Have you tried greasing the fittings on the cable and the rudder? I would try that first.

The rudder looks bent for sure, does the boat pull left or right when driving at speed? If not, I wouldn't try to fix the rudder, fix the tight steering first.

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Grease in the fitting? My rudder gets stiff if it sits to long. I think it is from sediment in the water acting as a binder as the water drys out. I just regrease lightly and every once in awhile I just turn the steering wheel a little move the rudder.

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
If boat isn't handling bad or pulling excessive. I would leave well enough alone. My rudder has a shaved edge which always keeps it loaded so there is always positive input. This is normal on every boat I have ever owned.

cwarndahl
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
there is a slight pull to the left when cruising nothing that bad. i also found i have some water getting in the boat as well. i have allot of winter projects. i will try greasing this week, also have to order a alternator today as well. it went out yesturday.