PDA

View Full Version : Transmission high temp oil light .

hewlett6621
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I have not had my boat very long and I am new to Mastercraft boats. About a month ago when using the boat I was Cheaking the Gage's and noticed the Hi temp oil light was on. I stopped the boat lifted the engine box and notice a small amount of oil in the bilge. To me it seemed to have come out of the vent on the top of the transmission. The oil level seemed a bit low but still
Showed on the dip stick. When I got the boat out of the water I pulled the hose off the oil cooler and found a heap of grass in the cooler. I cleaned the grass out top up the oil no more problems for the rest of the weekend. Went out last weekend and everything seemed fine. We were skiing back to our cabin for lunch on the second day two up and the light came on again. Checked the oil cooler and it was clean. The light only stayed on for a few minutes on went off again. Is this a normal thing or do I have something to worry about. My boat is a 1997 Prostar 205 with 1:1 herth transmission . I love this forum and any advice would greatly appreciated.

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Check the temp sensor.....my .02...

AZDave
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
If it did overheat, change the fluid after you fix it.

hewlett6621
12-19-2011, 01:34 AM
How does the oil in the transmission get to the oil cooler . I mean does the transmission have an oil pump to circulate the oil through the oil cooler ?

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Transmission has a pump and is a pump simply put and anytime you overheat any lubricant it needs to be changed out.

hewlett6621
12-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I have changed the transmission fluid. Would a poor quality prop cause the transmission to run hotter? Just a thought .

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 05:59 PM
No, your prop should not cause a heat problem in the transmission. Transmission cooler, fluid level, or some restriction. Those are my first thoughts and where I would be looking first.

Table Rocker
12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
You might back flush the transmission cooler. There is a good chance there is more debris in there.

hewlett6621
12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks I will do that .
cheers.

hewlett6621
12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Just an update. I changed the transmission oil,back flashed the water pickup and replaced the prop. We went to lake copeton boxing day WOW a completely different boat. I feel the old prop was making the driveline work to hard. With the old prop I could only get about 35 mph @ 4400 rpm flat out .With my new prop 40+ mph and it gets there quick with no effort and great throttle response ,just amazing the transformation.I now know why you guys love these boats so much. My boat is now a weapon and so enjoyable to drive.

ahhudgins
12-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Just an update. I changed the transmission oil,back flashed the water pickup and replaced the prop. We went to lake copeton boxing day WOW a completely different boat. I feel the old prop was making the driveline work to hard. With the old prop I could only get about 35 mph @ 4400 rpm flat out .With my new prop 40+ mph and it gets there quick with no effort and great throttle response ,just amazing the transformation.I now know why you guys love these boats so much. My boat is now a weapon and so enjoyable to drive.

Don't think the prop had much to do with the temperature problem, but I am curious if you changed prop size. Sounds like your boat either had the wrong size or damaged prop to begin with. If the prop was damaged that bad, it would have been very noticable.

hewlett6621
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Don't think the prop had much to do with the temperature problem, but I am curious if you changed prop size. Sounds like your boat either had the wrong size or damaged prop to begin with. If the prop was damaged that bad, it would have been very noticable.
I'm sure the old prop is not in the best of shape. It is a13x 13 and to me not driven a boat like this before was a great improvement over my Bayliner 175. I did change the prop size to a OJ XMP 13 x11.5 ,just a remarkable the change it has made to the boat.

Cloaked
12-29-2011, 07:11 PM
I think the biggest difference is the fact that the OJ was a CNC mfg'ed prop. Makes a world of difference, considering the old prop may also have been out of balance from dings, etc. It doesn't take much to put a bad vibration in the driveline with a seemingly good prop. I have had very small dings to be very evident with vibrations.

The CNC props make a big difference by taking out a lot of vibration, etc...

Glad you had a good experience.