PDA

View Full Version : advice on installing + what sealer to use when i bolt the tracking fins + strut on

pbgbottle
12-17-2011, 06:56 PM
hey guys i am trying to reseal the boat back up so there is minimal water leaks.what sealer do you use when replacing these things. (tracking fins,strut) and why are the bolts so long? how hard do you tighten them down and am i missing some bigger washers or something. these little washers seen in the pic seem like they may pull right through . when i first tightened them up i heard some slight cracking noises .is there no metal in there .and i did not crank them up that tight at all barely maybe 20 ft pounds ,seems kinda loose to me i could still wiggle them down below. i would like to tighten them up a bit.and seal them up for a leak free install .

also these through hull exhaust things. are they suppose to have that flat spot on the edge of them? and what screws do you use. these have provisions for a countersunk head .but they where bolted on using screws and washers. any info would be great .
also what sealant do i use when installing these exhaust thingies into the hull.

cheers hope all my jibber jabber makes sense to somebody pics below

did i say whay are the bolts so long. ? I also need to bolt the strut on aswell.

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Mine are/were installed with silicone sealant - I believe this is a good solution because it can be somewhat easily removed.....I'd ping www.skidim.com or even jamestown distributors...

Jorski
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I believe a lot of builders use the specialty 3M marine sealants. They have specific ones for applications where the part is submerged.

Here is a link to their application chart:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/howtos/sealantchart.pdf

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I believe a lot of builders use the specialty 3M marine sealants. They have specific ones for applications where the part is submerged.

Here is a link to their application chart:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/howtos/sealantchart.pdf

thanks for this one jorski... good info to have.

Cloaked
12-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Recommendation from past:

Use 3M Marine 4200. It is removable in application and serves the same suitability for above or below water.

The 3M Marine 5200 is permananet for application suitability. If you ever need to get back into that connection, it's a real pain.

$0.02 and my experience. No guarantees but I have rid myself of all 5200 :D That stuff is serious about sticking and it even comes with warning about permanent installation.

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Recommendation from past:

Use 3M Marine 4200. It is removable in application and serves the same suitability for above or below water.

The 3M Marine 5200 is permananet for application suitability. If you ever need to get back into that connection, it's a real pain.

$0.02 and my experience. No guarantees but I have rid myself of all 5200 :D That stuff is serious about sticking and it even comes with warning about permanent installation.

Rid of 5200? I used that to lock the new rivets I put in... Have to drill to get them out anyway at least I feel pretty certain...the the rivets will never loosen... tough and permanent. The 48 hour to tack is a pain with the 4200 and 5200...

Cloaked
12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Rid of 5200? I used that to lock the new rivets I put in... Have to drill to get them out anyway at least I feel pretty certain...the the rivets will never loosen... tough and permanent. The 48 hour to tack is a pain with the 4200 and 5200...
I should have shipped the tube to you... LOL...It's not bad stuff, just permanent stuff... :D

I'd sure not use it on my shoelaces... lol

Your point is well taken on the rivets....That job looks good.

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 08:21 PM
I got the itch to restore an S&S....when my 19 and 17 year old graduate college.... I am off on that project....kind of looking at it as a big model... should keep me busy for a few years... I think I have enough OCD-MC to do it... lol

pbgbottle
12-17-2011, 08:23 PM
thanks for the 3M link .i will look for some . how tight do you do the bolts?

3M sealant will keep the water out right .adhesive to me just sounds like a glue.

Cloaked
12-17-2011, 08:32 PM
thanks for the 3M link .i will look for some . how tight do you do the bolts?

3M sealant will keep the water out right .adhesive to me just sounds like a glue.
I don't have any torque specs. I'd tighten it snug plus a little more to tight from the turn of a spud wrench (an old ironworker term).

The sealant will keep water out. Consensus says use the 5200 and plan on not replacing the fins again. :D I have seen these tracking fins get bent from one thing or another. There's no straightening them (for all practical purposes). I bent one way back and tried to straighten, etc.... ended up putting in a new one to get rid of the vibration.

Again, your doing the work. I'm just sharing past lessons. ==> $0.02

pbgbottle
12-17-2011, 10:59 PM
what about the exhaust plastic things is that flat spot suppose to be there ?

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
should be round...heat gun will fix. regarding the fins... the hull is thick enough for that. The torque spec would be good to know..., the marine sealer will set up and stabilize the fin, but its way too easy to crush the glass. I personally would put a good layer of marine silicone sealant plus a bunch thru the holes tighten it up sung...let it cure for a couple days and then put a torque it down a bit more. Just my .02...