PDA

View Full Version : Boat speed for wake to wake

GoneBoatN
12-17-2011, 02:27 PM
So I'm wondering what speed you have your boat going for a wake to wake jump. The reason I ask is because I'm a beginner and have a hard time getting to the other wake. I'm also older and heavier than I should be so that is adding to the problem. I can correct one of those problems but not the other. I can just make the top of the other wake occasionally. I know I need more practice to improve my technique/form.

I want to keep my speed slower as to lessen the likelihood of getting hurt. Currently I'm wakeboarding with the boat running about 22.8 MPH. In the mean time I'm wondering what is minimum boat speed you are able to used to do plain and simple wake to wake jumps?

c_craig
12-17-2011, 02:46 PM
That's plenty fast, could probably slow it down even to even 20. What's your line length? X-15? (can't really see the avitar too well) I would shorten up the line until you make the jump, then practice, a lot. Make sure you get way out, and pause a second, then progressive cut (accelerate to the wake).

Jerseydave
12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Line length matters, but technique is even more important. Your boat speed is fine, maybe a bit too fast. Try 21.5 mph and a 65 foot rope.

You don't need to cut out super wide before you start your PROGRESSIVE cut back toward the wake. Keep the line tension tight (load the line) and keep the board on edge all the way up the wake.

www.learnwake.com is a great site.
Post up some video of you riding if you have any. Watching yourself on video is a big help too.

vision
12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Line length matters, but technique is even more important. Your boat speed is fine, maybe a bit too fast. Try 21.5 mph and a 65 foot rope.

You don't need to cut out super wide before you start your PROGRESSIVE cut back toward the wake. Keep the line tension tight (load the line) and keep the board on edge all the way up the wake.

www.learnwake.com is a great site.
Post up some video of you riding if you have any. Watching yourself on video is a big help too.

Jerseydave's advice is perfect. I second learn wake.com as a great resource.

What boat do you have? Wake width is greatly different between say a 205V hull or modern X2, and an X-star or X-45.

Provided your MPH is accurate, shorten your rope to 60 feet, drop your speed to 20 MPH, and you should be able to cross the wake with even with a short cut if you load the line correctly and do not absorb the wake.

Remember to have fun and relax!

GoneBoatN
12-17-2011, 08:53 PM
OK, you guys are confirming my thoughts. The speed is accurate as I calibrate with GPS at/near the 22 MPH as that is what we tend to be around wakeboarding.

Yes, boat is X-15. I plan to put a sack in the front this season hoping that may narrow the wake a bit at distance behind the boat.

I have tried shortening the rope and that is where I can barely hit the top of the second wake. I thought perhaps the speed is too fast making me want to go less speed towards the wake. I also know I need better edging up the wake and also more line tension.

I agree with learnwake (just was viewing it last night) and I also have Detention 2012 by Murray.

I'm also going to switch from skiing to snowboarding this winter. I'm hoping that helps as well. Besides, after 36 years of skiing it is getting a little old hat. Jezz, cant wait until the end of March to de-winterize the boat...

Thanks for the input!!! :cool:

sp00ky
12-18-2011, 08:54 PM
The biggest problem beginners have is not holding their edge into the wake. I seen too many have a great cut but then let off just before the wake thus go flat into it. They lose control and the POP is gone. You shouldn't have to pull hard for wake to wakes and even less for heel side back roll.

Snowboarding won't help much here it will help once you get more air and more advanced tricks.

I'm 6'1" and 215 with 3 inverts.

GoneBoatN
12-19-2011, 12:21 AM
The biggest problem beginners have is not holding their edge into the wake. I seen too many have a great cut but then let off just before the wake thus go flat into it. They lose control and the POP is gone. You shouldn't have to pull hard for wake to wakes and even less for heel side back roll.

Snowboarding won't help much here it will help once you get more air and more advanced tricks.

I'm 6'1" and 215 with 3 inverts.

I'm hoping that snowboarding may help me feel more comfortable riding switch. The couple times I snowboarded I seem to have the exact same uncomfortable feeling riding switch. If nothing else it's a good excuse for trying something different after skiing for 36 years. I'll still ski a lot as I love mogul fields and steep terrain :D

I think my biggest problem wakeboarding is getting timid and backing off just as I hit the wake, subconsciously absorbing the wake and releasing the edge as well. I'm hoping if I drop the boat speed just a bit my mind will be more willing to "go for it".

Matt@semmergroup.com
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
www.learnwake.com is great advice and buy "The Book" series of DVDs.
Yes, your going a little faster than necessary and maybe even shorten to 55'.
Use the right board. I bout a new board this year and somehow it is way more forgiving I don't seem to catch an edge and crash when I land a little off.
Technique is EVERYTHING. When you learn to keep an edge through the wake and how to possition your body and hold the rope you won't need as much speed or as big of a wake. One thing that you could practice is like an ollie. You sort of push down on the front of the board and let it pop up. Practice this outside the wake. Then do it just as you hit the wake and it will really increase your pop off the wake. Have fun!

aaron.
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
42mph minimum. makes the wakes super close together & rock hard..

hang on tight.

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
OK, you guys are confirming my thoughts. The speed is accurate as I calibrate with GPS at/near the 22 MPH as that is what we tend to be around wakeboarding.

Yes, boat is X-15. I plan to put a sack in the front this season hoping that may narrow the wake a bit at distance behind the boat.

I have tried shortening the rope and that is where I can barely hit the top of the second wake. I thought perhaps the speed is too fast making me want to go less speed towards the wake. I also know I need better edging up the wake and also more line tension.

I agree with learnwake (just was viewing it last night) and I also have Detention 2012 by Murray.

I'm also going to switch from skiing to snowboarding this winter. I'm hoping that helps as well. Besides, after 36 years of skiing it is getting a little old hat. Jezz, cant wait until the end of March to de-winterize the boat...

Thanks for the input!!! :cool:

It's all about the progressive edge... Dont fall victim of the ralley style cut for everytrick.

Also find out how long your rope is. Bring it in 5ft and try again.

As for your speed it depends on the weight setup in the boat, no one can accurate tell you how fast you should be going unless they ride behind the exact boat and weight. For example I ride at 24.7 70ft on an X1... that means nothing for you ;)

Progressive edge is what you want to start working on... i will try to describe it as best i can:

1) cut out 10 - 15 ft from the wake
2) bring the handle into your hips you will notice the boat starting to pull you back into the wake
3) slowly start to apply pressure on your heals, evenly ffront and back, not a lot just start to build up that line tension...
4) as you are approaching the wake, build up more speed while keeping that line tight
5) as you are riding up the wake, dont let off. This is what a lot of people do, they come flying ot the wake then flatten out, this is going to kill all the tension and you will go no where. Get edging all the way through the wake, and stiffen your legs (not straight but stiff) so you dont absorb the pop...

happy flying!

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 02:07 PM
oh this should describe it better... this is my buddy steve edwards, who i ride with everyday... one day ill master the edge like him

#defofprogressiveegde haha

http://vimeo.com/groups/2452/videos/2083792

BrooksfamX2
12-19-2011, 03:20 PM
:headbang: ........

GoneBoatN
12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
... as you are riding up the wake, dont let off. This is what a lot of people do, they come flying ot the wake then flatten out, this is going to kill all the tension and you will go no where...

You hit the nail on the head. I think this is my biggest flaw at this point that needs corrected asap. I'm hoping backing off the boat speed a bit will make me less fearfull.

I set the rope between 55 and 65ft, varying a little at times. When I shorten it I can hit the top of the other wake. But when really short I'm too close to the prop wash so I need to improve to move it back to 65ft consistently.

I also think I will work on going not so wide and then gradually increasing it each time. Perhaps this will allow me to work up to a bigger pop.

GoneBoatN
12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
oh this should describe it better... this is my buddy steve edwards, who i ride with everyday... one day ill master the edge like him

#defofprogressiveegde haha

http://vimeo.com/groups/2452/videos/2083792

Nice riding!

Just what I needed is another vimeo wakeboarding video that I can stare at all hours of these winter days... I've added it to my collection of likes.

agarabaghi
12-19-2011, 06:08 PM
yea you are probably just flattening out as you come off the wake.

Probably a ways a way but post some video and we can give pointers.

oumiller28
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
If you are trying to find the sweet spot in the wake you just need to have the boat set up with the weight, speed that you will normaly ride behind. Then edge just out of the wake and look to see if where you edge out and back in is right where the wake is cresting, if it is then your close. If the wake is cresting behind you, just add lenght. If it is cresting in front of you then take some line out. The sweet spot will change when ever you change boat speed and weight. If you are wanting to just get the feel of wake to wake. Try slower speeds 18-20 and shorter rope. The shorter the rope the more narrow wake you have to jump. Be safe have fun and dont go home till it hurts!!

onewheat
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
This is my exact problem too - same boat, same story. I can get the front of my board about to the peak of the opposite wake - I land hard and either lose the handle or dig the nose and face plant. I have had years of hard dirt bike, street bike and many other types of crashes and I'm a bit gun shy I think. I usually ride about 21.5 or so and I think my rope is about 60 or 65 feet at it's shortest. I need to check the wake next to me and see where it is breaking. I just can't quite get it and I know I'm close. It kills me and the face plants really take their toll when you are this age with all of the rough-service miles I have on my body. I watch Detention and The Book while working cardio (an hour to kill on the elliptical), and I get the whole concept, but my application of it apparently falls short (pun intended). I need to go check out that video and website now to see what else I can learn, but still not be able to do. Hopefully, I'll be able to finally figure it out this summer. I need to get it before I get too old and I may have missed that boat already.

GoneBoatN
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I've gone back and watched some video of myself. I think I see that I am flattening off just as I go into the wake. That is also causing some of the tension to be released from the line and for a triple whammy, I notice just the ever so slight absorbing of the wake with the lower body.

I also got a copy of "The Book" as well. I find its instruction, suggested drills and etc more informative.

It's killing me waiting for spring as I so bad want to try corrections.

curtish
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
You just need a little liquid courage before you go out. That's what I do when I feel like wrecking real good...er, I mean...throwing a new trick. :D

onewheat
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
You just need a little liquid courage before you go out. That's what I do when I feel like wrecking real good...er, I mean...throwing a new trick. :D

Two or three really spicy Bloody Marys in the morning always seems like the right amount before a run. :D