PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem!?!? Please help!!

napalm
12-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I just finished working on my 97 Xstar and one of the things I did was replace the clear inline fuel filter. The boat was running great before hand but when I launched it after changing the filter it was acting like it wanted to stall every time I hit the throttle. The boat started fine and would even idle fine but would not get up on plane. I removed the rear seat so I could visually see the inline fuel filter and this is what I noticed...

When I turn the key to acc. I hear the fuel pump prime, the inline fuel filter is full of gas and everything looks normal. When I start the boat the fuel drains out of the inline fuel filter towards the engine and does NOT stay full of gas. The fuel line running from the gas tank into the filter IS drawing gas HOWEVER I can literally watch it pass through the clear fuel filter without it staying full of gas, it doesn't even stay 1/4 of the way full. That filter should stay full of gas while the boat is running correct??? I checked and double checked and I know the filter is on the right way, also the gas tank has been completely removed, drained, and cleaned by the mastercraft dealer so I know the tank isn't dirty, I watched them do it.

Can someone please help me get back on the water!! Thx

bturner2
12-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Interesting. I've had four mastercrafts and never one with a clear in line fuel filter. Aside from that I have a John Deere tractor with a clear filter and it does not stay full while running at idle (the only time I've ever seen it). It's much like you describe.

You don't mention if you're having a problem with the boat running. Is there an issue there? If not if it's not broke don't fix it.

Table Rocker
12-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I would check the all the clamps I could find to make sure they were tight. If that didn't work I would change the filter again (WIX 33003). Also, check the metal filter by the fuel pump for correct orientation.

JimN
12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I just finished working on my 97 Xstar and one of the things I did was replace the clear inline fuel filter. The boat was running great before hand but when I launched it after changing the filter it was acting like it wanted to stall every time I hit the throttle. The boat started fine and would even idle fine but would not get up on plane. I removed the rear seat so I could visually see the inline fuel filter and this is what I noticed...

When I turn the key to acc. I hear the fuel pump prime, the inline fuel filter is full of gas and everything looks normal. When I start the boat the fuel drains out of the inline fuel filter towards the engine and does NOT stay full of gas. The fuel line running from the gas tank into the filter IS drawing gas HOWEVER I can literally watch it pass through the clear fuel filter without it staying full of gas, it doesn't even stay 1/4 of the way full. That filter should stay full of gas while the boat is running correct??? I checked and double checked and I know the filter is on the right way, also the gas tank has been completely removed, drained, and cleaned by the mastercraft dealer so I know the tank isn't dirty, I watched them do it.

Can someone please help me get back on the water!! Thx

Post a photo of the filter. MC didn't install one in their boats with injection. That was added by a mechanic or previous owner and the OEM filter(s) have a metal shell. Remove it- you should have one filter at the rear of the engine and possibly another at the top of the fuel tank. My guess is that a hose clamp is loose and the suction from the pump is causing air to get into the line.

-V-
12-17-2011, 12:05 PM
where is the fuel pump located.......i have yet to find one on mine

JimN
12-17-2011, 12:41 PM
where is the fuel pump located.......i have yet to find one on mine

On a '97, it's on the rear of the engine, at the side. Follow the fuel lines.

-V-
12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
On a '97, it's on the rear of the engine, at the side. Follow the fuel lines.

A 2000 Maristar doesn't have one, right?