PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Questions for Beginner

OHIOPRO205
12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Wanting to get into Wakeboarding. I have a couple of basic questions. 1, Everyone I have talked to so far have recommended the Liquid Force Trip. It is rated from beginner to advanced. What are your thoughts? I have rode a couple of different boards, but very basic ones. 2, I have a 94 205 so I dont have a tower and I am not really interested in putting one on this boat so what are your thoughts on a Pylon and which one? I am not the only one wanting to get into this. The rest of the family is wanting to as well. Any thoughts will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

coz
12-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Wanting to get into Wakeboarding. I have a couple of basic questions. 1, Everyone I have talked to so far have recommended the Liquid Force Trip. It is rated from beginner to advanced. What are your thoughts? I have rode a couple of different boards, but very basic ones. 2, I have a 94 205 so I dont have a tower and I am not really interested in putting one on this boat so what are your thoughts on a Pylon and which one? I am not the only one wanting to get into this. The rest of the family is wanting to as well. Any thoughts will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

There was no tower on my boat when I got it and bought a pylon and used that for a while before getting a tower so I say go with the pylon, they work. The Trip is a great board all around, been riding one for years (maybe that's why I still suck?:confused:) seriously a fun board you'll like.

Double D
12-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I also have the 94 205 but I put a tower on mine. I put a pylon on it once but didn't like how the nose cable blocked the front bow. As for wakeboarding, we have been doing it for 6 years now and I am still a beginner. :D:D The only reccomendation I can provide is to get a board with the center fin, if not all fins, removable and start with a taller fin. Like 2". Once you get more comfortable you can drop it down to a 1" fin. The board wont slide as much with the taller fin.

Did you make it to Buckeye Bash II last year with your boat? Trying to determine if we met down there.....

thatsmrmastercraft
12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I picked up a Barefoot International Fly High Pylon at Ski It Again for cheap. Works great.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php

-V-
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
You should find a buddy with a wakeboard. try to ride it and see if you like it or not. When I started I bought a cheapy from Academy in Austin, found what I liked and now I know what I am looking for. The binding I got with it worked well with my second board untill the day I decieded I was going to try to jump like people in the X-Star games..........lets just say i have to get some new binding now...... :)

mikeg205
12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey ohio all good questions.... with the 205 with or without tower you'll get better performance out of a board that has sharper edge and an abrupt 3 stage rocker or a continuous rocker... look at the Ronix Mana or Hyperlite Marek Bio....these boards cost a few extra bucks but will get you passed beginner to intermediate very quickly. Both these boards get you more lift out of the flatter way the 205 produces.

The most important thing you'll need is people to go with and those that don't mind coming back around to pick you up....get a helmet with ear pads...for those educational falls....

My son started with the Hyperlite Motive and it only lasted a season...he progressed quickly... in one season he was borrowing boards which provided him better lift and control.

+1 on the ski-it-again...might get a great deal on a great board...if you find can get the one you want...

good luck and post your progress....

GoneBoatN
12-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I ended up getting a Liquid Force Witness. It was recommended by my local boat/board shop. I demo'ed a couple other boards but I liked the Witness the most. It has good hold while not sacrificing too much speed. I'm basically a beginner and not likely to progress too far at my age. :( Maybe I start an Old guy's wakeboard club. I have to laugh at posts on wakeboard forums where someone says they have to hold back because they are in their 30's. The Witness has three stage hybrid rocker so It has good pop but not extreme. My best recommendation is to see if some demo days will be held near you so you can try out various boards. Talk with you local board/boat shops as they may know when they will be held and where. In my area they try to do them early in the season and quite a few board company reps show up. If you can narrow it down to the style of board you like, your local board shop should be able to guide you to a few choices.

My son has a Byerly Assault. I tried it and did not like it one bit. It had very little hold causing it to not track well and felt like it always wanted to slide out from under me. It has too much "pop" for me. Maybe someday... I say this because it would be an example of possibly getting the wrong board and having to redo the purchase. Try your best to demo/borrow any board you are looking at before purchase.

OHIOPRO205
12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Please keep it coming. Double D, I was planning on coming but things didnt work out. I was there for the first one by myself and rode in the dealers X25. GREAT time. Planning on bringing a boatload next year.

Jerseydave
12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
The TRIP is a great all-around board. I learned on one after my initial start with the LF EVO beginner board (didn't like that one at all)
When talking with Keith Lyman, he really likes the Trip and transferred some of those features over to his LYMAN series of boards (another great choice). I currently ride a Lyman and a CWB PURE.
Make sure you buy the correct size board according to your weight/height. Also good bindings are just as important....try some on at your local board shop before you buy.

Never had a Skylon but it would make the most sense for your boat if your don't want a tower on it. You could always sell it later if you did want to get a tower in the future. I think there is one for sale on this site here.

Pic is me riding the Lyman

rem_pss308
12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Without a tower or pylon the rope is going to be pulling you down. with it hooked to a higher point, you can get higher air.

about a board. I would suggest a board that has four fins. whether they are moulded in fins or removable fins, they are going to provide a more stable riding platform. if they are removable fins then as you progress you can change the fins to shorter ones to do surface tricks better.

thats just my 2 cents.

I dont know if the liquid force board has a single fin or fins on the outside moulded in. but the best bet is to ride as many different boards as you can. and decide for yourself.

My son outgrew his single fin board in one summer.

swatguy
12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
The trip has been a solid performer for years. Its jist one of thr few boards ever made that some really love and others jusy despise. It just hss its own very didtonct characteristic. Not a bad thing, but could be for someone buying without riding. It has some old technology.

My advice would be to try and ride a coiple different models. The Ronix District comes to mind from Ronix i currently ride the new shape mana that came oit in 2010. The previous pre 2010 mana board (adam errington design) was a slow beast and i wouldnt recommend that at all. The 2010 and up shape is avtually super forgiving for a 3stage board and if you were looking for the most aggressive beginner friendly board i would put that up there. However it is super fast and you can get on edge quick which can be intimidating for beginners. That is why i push the district for newbs. It has high end features and was designed from a great all around board that many pros still ride. In the liqjid force line i would recimmend the Trip as well as the Witness. Any particular brand you are trying to stay with.........ie offered at local shops to try? This would help in a recommendation. The biggest issue that hinders a newbie is usually selecting the top pro model board with the biggest 3 stage rocker they can find. The Marek while a blended rocker is also another super fast board that picks up speed super quick and again can be intimidating for beginners.

I wouldn't recommend a huge 3 stage board as your first wakeboard. While it will hive you the best pop it will also punish you the most while learning and not being in the correct body position all the time. 3 stage rockers can be very inconsistent when under a new rider. I would recommend a hybrid rocker, or at most a subtle 3 stage. A lot of newer boards have the nest blend of 3 stage pop with continuous rocker consistency.

Def go with a high pole if you don't want a tower.. couple different mfg all solid products. Tenfoot pole, fly high, skylon....all are good.