PDA

View Full Version : 83 S&S fiberglass stringer issue.

rangell
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I just purchased an 83' S&S and the swim platform brackets are removed and the holes are filled in with some hard silcone/calk. My question is are the fiberglass stringers on this boat hollow or solid fiberglass. I was thinking that i could drill the holes back out and into the stringer (if solid) and silcone in some long bolts to attach the swim platform brackets. Please help with any info. Thanks.

tph
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=rangell;806615]I just purchased an 83' S&S and the swim platform brackets are removed and the holes are filled in with some hard silcone/calk. My question is are the fiberglass stringers on this boat hollow or solid fiberglass. I was thinking that i could drill the holes back out and into the stringer (if solid) and silcone in some long bolts to attach the swim platform brackets. Please help with any info. Thanks.[/QUOTE

I don't think they are solid:

madcityskier
12-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Platform on my 85 has had bracket reinforced by placing a large aluminum backer plate on the inside of the transom and threading holes into it. Works pretty well.

waterlogged882
12-16-2011, 08:20 PM

rangell
12-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Cloaked,

When you cut that whole for the brackets, was it full of foam insulation? Also when you closed it back up did you refill/fill it with new foam insulation?

rangell
12-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Here are some pictures of what i am dealing with.

tph
12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Here are some pictures of what i am dealing with.

It looks like the PO kept drilling new holes in the bracket and transom as the previous ones failed. You could grind everything down, make sure the old holes are watertight and use the "through hull" method referenced above. If you're careful you should be able to hide everything behind the bracket. Also, now would be the time to think about a removable or drop down bracket.

liledgy
12-17-2011, 02:48 PM
You could have wood stringers still in your 83, depending on when it was made. Do you have some angle iron that the motor mounts attach to? Do you have access to your bilge pump thru a small cubby hole in front of the pylon. Those are 2 items that fiberglass stringer boats had.

waterlogged882
12-17-2011, 02:54 PM

waterlogged882
12-17-2011, 02:59 PM

tph
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM
If you look at the picture below you can see that there is not a traditional stringer. Instead there are internal and external angle iron sections closest to the motor box that are used to support the motor mounts.

rangell
12-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all of the information. This morning I dove into it and I got the holes cut in the floor, cleaned out all the foam, and I think it is ready for the backer plates that I need to have made. I am a little nervous about covering the holes back up, i have never did fiberglass work before, but I will research a little for the best way to do it. Again thanks for all you help with the info that you guys have provided.

waterlogged882
12-18-2011, 03:34 PM