PDA

View Full Version : Stained Water

LakePirate
08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Since it is never going to stop raining in the south, on my way to the outlet mall with the wife I began to ponder if stained water would affect the engine. For those of you not familiar with Georgia, we have red clay, when it rains the red clay particles run off into the rivers and are suspended in the water giving the lake and rivers a lovely red color.

Now here is the question. Is this harmful to the engine. Initially I would think that the speed of the water going through the engine would hold the clay particles in the water and they would be flushed out with the exhaust. However, much like the river delta if there are any turns or pooling of the water the particles would drop to the base of the engine leaving a nice mud pack within the engine.

So would you need to flush the engine after you use it in stained water?

What do you guys think?

6ballsisall
08-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Thats a darn good question. For giggles have you ever tried taking off the impeller and seeing if it is coated with the red clay?

LakePirate
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Don't have one of those fancy impeller pullers and don't want to replace it more than I need to.

Well I drover over 2 lakes to get there and several rivers most of them were stained.

6ballsisall
08-07-2005, 11:24 PM
hmm.... what about the hoses? It would be interesting to pull one of them off and see if there is any residue around the fittings

LakePirate
08-07-2005, 11:26 PM
That might be the ticket, however, I wouldn't want that water to spew out all over the boat.....that red clay don't come out.

Hoosier Bob
08-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I can't imagine clay having any corrosive properties. I also do not believe it should be a problem other than the accumulation in the exhaust manifolds. But as always a good flush never hurts. We MC owners are either buying our last boat or someone elses last boat.

LakePirate
08-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Corrosive no, strong when it dries, without a doubt. Have a truck that gets ran through the mud from time to time and it didn't get washed after it's last journey. Well it sat for a week and the red clay had dried and it took 4-wheel drive and dumping the clutch to break it free.

bucky
08-08-2005, 01:31 AM
When the mud settles out, it probably has pretty good insulating properties. I would also be worried about it's abrasive properties. Must be hard on water pump seals.

LakePirate
08-08-2005, 01:32 PM
bump.....bump