PDA

View Full Version : X2 Steering issue

Ibex144
12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a 2006 x2 with the mcx. On once and awhile I notice the steering seems to drift back and forth somtimes really bad left and right. The water conditions and speed seem to make the biggest differance. if its glass calm and I run 3500rpms it seems the worse however it may do it one day and not the next even with the same conditions maybe it has to have just the right amount of weight in the boat (ie. fuel) and thats why It seems spuratic. It almost feels like the rudder is wandering back and forth however if you grab it and pull back and forth there is very little play but maybe that is magnified at higher speeds. I thought about ginding down one side of the rudder to give a positive pull in one direction but if I dont like it it may be hard to go back. Any Ideas? oh yeah the steering wheel dosn't move a bit when this happens and I have to slow down or speed up or steer hard left or right to get it to stop.

swatguy
12-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Believe it or not that's how an x 2 drives. I doesn't have tracking fins and tends to "walk" more than other boats. You can get some rudder work done by a proffessional to give you a more positive feel (or do it yourself with a file) but again its just the way an x2 drives especially at higher speeds and in calm conditions. This is not unusual, more of a poor design flaw. Fo you have the attitude adjustment plate? If not adding it will help you greatly.

Reverend Bob
12-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like you are describing Chine-walk. Chine-walk is an instability in a planing hull, as in the basic "for every action there is and equal and opposite reaction" theory, the reaction from the torque from the prop acting on the water acts on the lever arm which is the shaft and strut. This causes a pivoting movement about the crankshaft centerline, it forces the hull over to the side opposite prop rotation. the boat will then fall to the chine and the water then stops motion and it bounces back to the other chine and then so on and so forth, hence the term "Chine Walk". it will not stop on it's own, not all hulls do this, you get past it some practice either trimming in to bring more hull into the water for balance, or steer in an arc in the direction opposite to the initial fall... or experiment with props... or bump the wheel slightly in the direction opposite to initial fall. Engine rpm, the vessels' loading, and water conditions are also factors, but, these are just a few of the solutions I might suggest.