PDA

View Full Version : Removing Shaft Coupler question

gweaver
12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
So I need to replace the black rubber tubing that goes between the shaft log and stuffing box (hope I got the terms correct). I've got the coupler split but need to remove the big nut on the end of the prop shaft. I've seen people comment on the Elbert's socket, but is there a way to remove the coupler without that (seeing as I don't own one)? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to move the engine/trans, as I just had an alignment done. I've got about 1 1/4" of clearance between the two halves of the coupler.
Cheers,
Greg
Oh yeah- any idea what size the nut is? Boat is an 88 prostar with powerslot. I can't get my calipers in there for an accurate measurement. It looks like it's 1 1/4", but I saw that Elbert's has the socket in 1, 1 1/8 and 1 1/4. Not sure if I've got 1 1/8 or 1 1/4.
Thanks,
G

Cloaked
12-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Browse this link and see if it helps any. I know it's not topic specific but maybe you can get a gleem of insight.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

I am almost certain that the shaft has to be pulled back or removed. Page one of this link gives merit to the correct hose to use.

gweaver
12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
That's a helpful site- I actually used that when I replaced the material in my stuffing box. Not so helpful for figuring out the nut size inside the coupler.
I think I might try to find the right size socket then mill flats on it for a wrench and shorten it. Still need to figure out what size socket.
G