PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing....

waterbug
12-10-2011, 02:17 PM
As much as I hate winter, (and wish I lived in a warm climate), we try to make the best of it. Yesterday was the first time out on the ice for the year. Fishing out of my portable for now, the wheelhouse will go out next week. Here are a few pics of some of the Walleye we caught...

mikeg205
12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
cool where do you guys fish?

GT500 MC
12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Those first 3 walleyes are huge. Ice fishing already....how thick is your ice? Has it been that cold in the midwest already?

waterbug
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Already? This is actually a late start for us. 6 inches of good clean, solid ice. We've had a few nights with temps below zero. 15-20 Below wind chill yesterday morning when we got out there. We fish right here in Alexandria (west central Minnesota) On the chain of lakes, right in front of my house. The Zebra Mussels have cleaned up the water some. Can now easily see bottom in 20 feet of water, last year it was 12-15 feet clarity.

GT500 MC
12-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Sounds fun. Didn't know where you were at in "Midwest". Had spoken to some family in MI and they said they've been a little warmer than usual and with a lot of rain. Ice is hit and miss so far.
So in Alexandria--do you ever get up to Battle or Ottertail?

mikeg205
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Already? This is actually a late start for us. 6 inches of good clean, solid ice. We've had a few nights with temps below zero. 15-20 Below wind chill yesterday morning when we got out there. We fish right here in Alexandria (west central Minnesota) On the chain of lakes, right in front of my house. The Zebra Mussels have cleaned up the water some. Can now easily see bottom in 20 feet of water, last year it was 12-15 feet clarity.

Oh geez, those are big ones... Nice!!!

waterbug
12-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds fun. Didn't know where you were at in "Midwest". Had spoken to some family in MI and they said they've been a little warmer than usual and with a lot of rain. Ice is hit and miss so far.
So in Alexandria--do you ever get up to Battle or Ottertail?

I get up to Ottertail a couple times a year. Not to fish though, but play golf at Thumper Pond. I have family in Mi. as well. Grew up in the U.P. Has been warm up there too. Not much snow yet. I'm headed there for Christmas to see my parents

GT500 MC
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
I get up to Ottertail a couple times a year. Not to fish though, but play golf at Thumper Pond. I have family in Mi. as well. Grew up in the U.P. Has been warm up there too. Not much snow yet. I'm headed there for Christmas to see my parents

Good course at Thumper. In the summer, we're about 8 miles back to the west on Blanche Lake (directly south across from Ottertail). So many lakes around there, summer's are awesome. Enjoy the U.P. for the holidays.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Nice fish. I love the early walleye bite.:cool:

blakehardesty
12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Got the first skim of ice yesterday and cant wait for it to get thick enough.

ski/hunt
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
"catching" beats "fishing"!!!! Nice job looks like good times!