PDA

View Full Version : Ruptured Bicep tendon

oldairboater
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Just went through ruptured bicep tendon repair surgery. Two months in a cast and a total of four to six months to get back strength in muscle/tendon healed. Dr. stated that it would or could be up to nine months before I would trust this arm. Here is the warning. I researched tendon ruptures and learned they almost never happen with a flexed joint. Which makes sense since I never lock a joint when I am behind the boat. I did this pulling on a wrench at full arm extension using my shoulders and weight torquing into it.

CantRepeat
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Ouch!! What were you wrenching on and with what?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Just went through ruptured bicep tendon repair surgery. Two months in a cast and a total of four to six months to get back strength in muscle/tendon healed. Dr. stated that it would or could be up to nine months before I would trust this arm. Here is the warning. I researched tendon ruptures and learned they almost never happen with a flexed joint. Which makes sense since I never lock a joint when I am behind the boat. I did this pulling on a wrench at full arm extension using my shoulders and weight torquing into it.

I have done this often enough and I guess I won't be doing this any more.

scott023
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
That's terrible to hear. Let us know how the recovery goes.

snork
12-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Did mine play'n Racquetball. Still torn, looks bad but not much loss in strength

mikeg205
12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
damn...sorry to hear... just as a btw... antibiotics in the Cipro family weaken tendons... beware...

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/cipro/TDVM0G76B4CG07LAV sidelined my 17 year old daughter from cross country... nasty stuff... unless of course you're exposed to anthrax....

kenk
12-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Ripped my tendon carrying a granite counter top. Arm was fully extended...then pop!...took a year of healing before any real use...I think it happened because of my age and lack of flexibility...

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Tore the tendon in my right firearm at the elbow several years ago. It still bothers me when musky fishing.

mikeg205
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Tore the tendon in my right firearm at the elbow several years ago. It still bothers me when musky fishing.

Hope you feel a touch of pain when you reel in the world record.../ :D

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Hope you feel a touch of pain when you reel in the world record.../ :D

With the ratio of casts to catches, I thinking more pain is coming from the casting. Thanks for the good thoughts, though.

mikeg205
12-08-2011, 11:38 PM
these musky's caught by friends near you this fall....

sorry if I hijacked the thread...no injuries reported...

JohnE
12-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Then stop musky fishing....:D

BrooksfamX2
12-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Had rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago. Tendon torn off the bone, 2 screws to reattach. 2.5cm tear in muscle. This happened when I got slung off my own boat by my arm while horsing around with SIL's.

oldairboater
12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Saw the Cipro connection and I did have to take Cipro about nine years ago. I doubt they are connected with this injury. They did help save my life and my other arm after I got a dangerous infection. What made up my mind to get this repaired is that without it I would lose 40% to 50% of my strength in that arm. The shame of it all is that I am smart enough to use a cheater bar but thought it wasn't necessary. Will not happen again. This is one of the heaviest cast I have ever worn. Definitely rehabbing the shoulder I hurt last summer on the ski. I can already feel a better range of movement and strength in my right shoulder from needed use and aligned movement..damn...sorry to hear... just as a btw... antibiotics in the Cipro family weaken tendons... beware...

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/cipro/TDVM0G76B4CG07LAV sidelined my 17 year old daughter from cross country... nasty stuff... unless of course you're exposed to anthrax....

tex
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Tore(not total) and crushed mine in the early 90's. Amazing what kind of damage putting your arm thru the handle can do. Saw a great doctor who was not knife happy and did a ton of PT. It will never be right but is damn close. Hang in there and listen to the docs!

oldairboater
12-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Three weeks and two more days in a cast. Going nuts.

ahhudgins
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Three weeks and two more days in a cast. Going nuts.

That is why Iíve put off surgery on my shoulder the last yearÖI hate the down time!!! X-rays and MRI look good; doctor says itís either a very small tear or tendonitis. I have mild discomfort on a daily basis but Iíve been able to do a little more in the weight room recently. The thing that bothers my shoulder the most is working on my vehicles. I had to replace an exhaust manifold and a rusted EGR tube this weekend. As soon as I tried to bust loose the rusted bolts I felt the burn in my shoulder. Grabbed a cheaper bar for my ratchet and everything was just fine. Pushing or pulling against a solid object is what causes me the most problems so I have to concentrate on using the other arm.
Good luck with yours, Iím going to let mine go another summer and see what happens.

swatguy
12-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I feel ya.....just tore my labrum completely 360 degrees. Also tore bicep tendon about 75% he said all in a fight w an armed robber at work. Surgery was nov 4 .........12 anchors in the shoulder and 8 mos to go. Man its gonna be long time of taking it easy. I am already going insane. Its like groundhog day every day. Been in a recliner since then. I never missed my bed so much

ahhudgins
12-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I feel ya.....just tore my labrum completely 360 degrees. Also tore bicep tendon about 75% he said all in a fight w an armed robber at work. Surgery was nov 4 .........12 anchors in the shoulder and 8 mos to go. Man its gonna be long time of taking it easy. I am already going insane. Its like groundhog day every day. Been in a recliner since then. I never missed my bed so much

I hope the robber "accidentally" feel down some stairs after that.:D

I can't imagine being down for 8 months, but like airboater my doctor said if I needed surgery I'd be in a sling (no cast) for about 6 weeks. I switch between the bed and sofa 50/50 so I won't sleep on my side so much (and it's an excuse to avoid my wife's snoring!)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I hope the robber "accidentally" feel down some stairs after that.:D

I can't imagine being down for 8 months, but like airboater my doctor said if I needed surgery I'd be in a sling (no cast) for about 6 weeks. I switch between the bed and sofa 50/50 so I won't sleep on my side so much (and it's an excuse to avoid my wife's snoring!)

Sometimes things come together a little sooner than expected. I had surgery to remove some bone from the vertebra in my neck mid-September. Most of October I walked around like Frankenstein with very little movement in my neck. My PT appointment today included checking my strength and range of movement. I was -25% for strength and range of motion on my right side on my first appointment . Today I have regained everything I had lost, and next weeks PT appointment will likely be my last. This is way ahead of the time-frame that was set out for me.

mikeg205
12-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Sometimes things come together a little sooner than expected. I had surgery to remove some bone from the vertebra in my neck mid-September. Most of October I walked around like Frankenstein with very little movement in my neck. My PT appointment today included checking my strength and range of movement. I was -25% for strength and range of motion on my right side on my first appointment . Today I have regained everything I had lost, and next weeks PT appointment will likely be my last. This is way ahead of the time-frame that was set out for me.

good for you that's...

oldairboater
12-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Swatguy, I feel some of your pain. Hang in there. I never knew that healing would take so long. I started sleeping in the bed a week ago and still only sleep two or three hours at a time. My cast is off in two weeks and a day. Two more weeks in a sling while doing pt ----then months of strength training. Already looks like I am going to miss annual required fire school this first or second quarter with make up hopefully in the fall. Thatsmrmastercraft, I am glad your ahead on therapy----gives me hope. I have already figured that I can kneeboard this summer but I wonder if I will be able to slalom this summer. I ain't complaining but I am impatient.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Swatguy, I feel some of your pain. Hang in there. I never knew that healing would take so long. I started sleeping in the bed a week ago and still only sleep two or three hours at a time. My cast is off in two weeks and a day. Two more weeks in a sling while doing pt ----then months of strength training. Already looks like I am going to miss annual required fire school this first or second quarter with make up hopefully in the fall. Thatsmrmastercraft, I am glad your ahead on therapy----gives me hope. I have already figured that I can kneeboard this summer but I wonder if I will be able to slalom this summer. I ain't complaining but I am impatient.

I understand that impatient part. At one point I was complaining how slow I was to recover, and I was told I was way ahead of her expectations, just behind on my own. Recovery from any injury sucks. All a guy can do is try to keep a positive outlook and do everything that they ask in PT.

Good luck guys on as speedy recovery as possible.

1redTA
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I will be undergoing a slap repair soon from an 05 fire truck accident, how do you/I keep from using your/my right shoulder for two weeks??!! I use it to face book, lurk , drink and scratch :-)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I will be undergoing a slap repair soon from an 05 fire truck accident, how do you/I keep from using your/my right shoulder for two weeks??!! I use it to face book, lurk , drink and scratch :-)

It's amazing how quickly you will learn to do things with your left hand....

.......including wipe.:D

swatguy
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
No matter how many times I had to wipe with my left when I broke my ft hand twice I still felt violated every single time......:D

After my shoulder I thought for sure I could get some video games at least to fill my "work" void. You know a little Grand Theft Auto or some Call of Duty. I couldn't even do that. My snowboarding this year will consist of Shaun Whites snowboarding on my daughter's Wii

Like mentioned. No matter what keep the therapy going and follow it. Any of your Dr's film the surgery? I got a copy of the whole thing. Was absolutely the coolest and yet the.most disturbing thing I ever saw. I just can't believe what goes on without being technically cut open. The one and only great thing thing about Chicago is their Dr's.

mtajpa
01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I just can't believe what goes on without being technically cut open.

Not cut open! Pin cushion yes! Saw a full series of pictures of inside but didn't get a copy. I've joined the club. After 2 years of shoulder pain while sking. I decide to get it checked. Results in layman's terms ...torn rotator cuff. A few pics to go along with pin cushion comment. Any medical folks know why I ended up with 1 staple? I guess he ran out of thread.:rolleyes:

mikeg205
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
It's amazing how quickly you will learn to do things with your left hand....

.......including wipe.:D

Glad you kept it rated "g"...lol...or did you.. :D :D :D

GT500 MC
01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Glad you kept it rated "g"...lol...or did you.. :D :D :D

Barely. :D