PDA

View Full Version : Garage heater (2 car)

02ProstarSammyD
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Anyone have any advice on a heater for a 19x19 garage with 9' ceilings? Hoping to keep it around 50-55 degrees so I can still get out and work on the boat w/o freezing my na na's off.

FourFourty
12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Modine Hot Dawg....... My garage is 37x28 and I keep it at 65 all the time. I have the 60,000 btu unit, and it works fantastic.

rspiecha
12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Is the garage insulated???

JimN
12-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Anyone have any advice on a heater for a 19x19 garage with 9' ceilings? Hoping to keep it around 50-55 degrees so I can still get out and work on the boat w/o freezing my na na's off.

You're in the Southeast- how cold can it get?

Look on Craig's List- I found a Reznor 45K BTU low profile garage heater a few weeks ago and the heat exchanger looks like new, even though it's over 10 years old. I call it 'Trent'.

I wouldn't use a torpedo heater or upright patio unit- they throw off so much moisture it's ridiculous. Ditto on insulation.

Ski-me
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Modine Hot Dawg....... My garage is 37x28 and I keep it at 65 all the time. I have the 60,000 btu unit, and it works fantastic.

I just got a quote for a 125,000 btu Reznor 81% heater for our 3 car garage for about $1,900. Wondering if it's sized too big?!?

I don't know if we will actually add that in or not (house already had 2 furnaces going in now!)

JimN
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I just got a quote for a 125,000 btu Reznor 81% heater for our 3 car garage for about $1,900. Wondering if it's sized too big?!?

I don't know if we will actually add that in or not (house already had 2 furnaces going in now!)

Insulated, or not? Look at www.alpinehomeair.com and think about using a regular furnace. The burner would need to be sealed and they sell horizontally & vertically mounted units. They have distribution all over the country and I have bought two furnaces from them- great prices, great customer service and if you're allowed to install your own, it can save a lot of $. They double the warranty on the heat exchanger to 20 years, too. I called around here when I replaced the first one and some of the HVAC contractors dumped all over Goodman (the main brand Alpine sells) but they use the same components as most other brands, they bought one of the larger manufacturers a few years ago and both of the furnaces I bought have performed flawlessly.

One thing you DON'T want to do is over-size a furnace because the short cycle times causes more condensation on the heat exchanger, which leads to its premature failure.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Look on Craig's List- I found a Reznor 45K BTU low profile garage heater a few weeks ago and the heat exchanger looks like new, even though it's over 10 years old. I call it 'Trent'.

I wouldn't use a torpedo heater or upright patio unit- they throw off so much moisture it's ridiculous. Ditto on insulation.

Now that is just plain funny.:D

02ProstarSammyD
12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
The garage is insulated and drywalled on the sides. 2 sides share with the home also. The ceiling is just drywalled but going to throw some insulation up there asap. The garage door is a 30 yo pos door that couldn't insulate my back pocket.

Not looking to spend 1900 bucks thats for sure. And yea I'm in NC and it doesn't get really cold. I think we've had 3 freeze nights so far and I usually just leave the inside door open and turn on the gas fireplace by the garage door but I tend to have a stoggie in the garage and it reaks up the house.

Really the goal would be to keep the garage about freezing 100% of the time and at 50-55 on call where I can work. My boat is pretty much gutted at the moment and gonna spend some serious hours out there for the next few months. Hope this helps. BTW cheapest options are always the best. Daddy wants a new stargazer setup and truck for christmas

Thrall
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
If you have 240V in the garage, one of the elect units like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316428_200316428
works well. It will warm up an insulated 2cg pretty well in cold climates.
Not sure on power consumption cost. Have used one for a long time in many houses, but not for 24/7 heat. Only turn it on when working out there.

JimN
12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
The garage is insulated and drywalled on the sides. 2 sides share with the home also. The ceiling is just drywalled but going to throw some insulation up there asap. The garage door is a 30 yo pos door that couldn't insulate my back pocket.

Not looking to spend 1900 bucks thats for sure. And yea I'm in NC and it doesn't get really cold. I think we've had 3 freeze nights so far and I usually just leave the inside door open and turn on the gas fireplace by the garage door but I tend to have a stoggie in the garage and it reaks up the house.

Really the goal would be to keep the garage about freezing 100% of the time and at 50-55 on call where I can work. My boat is pretty much gutted at the moment and gonna spend some serious hours out there for the next few months. Hope this helps. BTW cheapest options are always the best. Daddy wants a new stargazer setup and truck for christmas

What's the average temperature difference inside the garage vs outside? If it's basically the same, insulate the door and make sure the air leaks are sealed. If the temperature differential isn't too great, you won't need much heat to keep it warm- a small Franklin stove would probably work but that takes time to raise the temperature. IMO, a 45K BTU garage heater would work fine and they often sell for $450, $550 for 75K BTU. The flue needs to be done the right way but that's not hard, either- maybe $150-$200 for all of the extra parts, wire and a cheap programmable thermostat.

SpryBeast
12-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I have the one Thrall linked (or very similar) that I use in a mostly insulated 3.5 car garage in Utah. I run it for a bit before I go out and a sweatshirt is enough to spend all day out there.

Double D
12-08-2011, 03:19 PM

I have a 3 car garage with 11 ' ceilings and this thing does great! The last one I bought was for around $250 to $300 which I installed in my new, insulated, slightly detached, truck & boat garage and it works great in there too.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Radiant+Heater+Gas&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS314&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=937&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7529563176488031963&sa=X&ei=ahvhTvD-OqP00gGpoombBw&ved=0CMoBEPMCMAg

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a 3 car garage with 11 ' ceilings and this thing does great! The last one I bought was for around $250 to $300 which I installed in my new, insulated, slightly detached, truck & boat garage and it works great in there too.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Radiant+Heater+Gas&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS314&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=937&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7529563176488031963&sa=X&ei=ahvhTvD-OqP00gGpoombBw&ved=0CMoBEPMCMAg

Is slightly detached like a little bit pregnant?:rolleyes:

Double D
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Is slightly detached like a little bit pregnant?:rolleyes:

I dont think there is "a little bit pregnant" but this pic shows what I mean by "slightly detached" :D:D

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I dont think there is "a little bit pregnant" but this pic shows what I mean by "slightly detached" :D:D

Indeed, slightly detached is a very accurate description. Nice looking set-up. Can't argue with someone who can appreciate a cigar while working in the garage.

ctjahn
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
When we bought my detached garage with a house.... (garage is 20x50) it came with an old converted house furnace that runs off propane... I have heard costs of $100 - 300 for the conversion and I know you can get furnaces for free if you know someone who is upgrading...

Best of luck!
Cj

FourFourty
12-08-2011, 06:33 PM

I have very high ceilings (14'7") and this is my first year with this Modine. Right now, it is getting down into the 20s some nights..... I have worked out there at night a few times lately and the heater is running a 5% duty cycle at the most. That being said, my garage is all new, has insulated overhead doors, and is VERY well insulated in the walls and ceilings (4" closed cell foam in all of the walls, and the ceilings have 4" Closed cell foam + 18" of blown-in cellulose insulation on top of the foam)

125,000btu seems like a lot for your 3 car garage if it is insulated at all. However, If you plan on leaving it at 45 degrees most of the time, and then warm it up to 60 when you work in there, a bigger furnace will help warm it up faster.... I leave my garage at 60 all of the time.

FourFourty
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM

The only concern that I would have, with that ventless infrared heater, is that it will raise the humidity in the garage. If you use one of those, you may want to use a dehumidifier as well....... Unless your garage has a lot of vapor penetration, and exchanges plenty of air with the outside..... If the garage is well insulated, and sealed, it will build humidity, and rust your tools etc. I learned this the hard way with that same heater. That is the reason that I installed the Modine.

Double D
12-08-2011, 07:40 PM
The only concern that I would have, with that ventless infrared heater, is that it will raise the humidity in the garage. If you use one of those, you may want to use a dehumidifier as well....... Unless your garage has a lot of vapor penetration, and exchanges plenty of air with the outside..... If the garage is well insulated, and sealed, it will build humidity, and rust your tools etc. I learned this the hard way with that same heater. That is the reason that I installed the Modine.

Good to know. Each heater comes with a vent to the outside, which I have never installed. :rolleyes: I have had the one unit running in my garage for 10 years with no humidity problems. Maybe because the doors aren't completely air tight??

etduc
12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Another way to go: Daikin or simular 15,000 btuh mini split heat pump.(For freeze protection, you might consider a 24,000 btuh.) Not the cheapest solution, but safe, efficient...plus you have also added cooling to your garage. A cheap heat/cool window unit will, work, but it would decrease your building efficiency.

Do not use an open flame heater, in your garage, unless your fire/health insurance is very good. Fire/explosion hazzard (gas/chemical fumes), and CO hazzard (improper ventilation/ improper combustion air).

I not kidding, it's what I do for a living.

JimN
12-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I have very high ceilings (14'7") and this is my first year with this Modine. Right now, it is getting down into the 20s some nights..... I have worked out there at night a few times lately and the heater is running a 5% duty cycle at the most. That being said, my garage is all new, has insulated overhead doors, and is VERY well insulated in the walls and ceilings (4" closed cell foam in all of the walls, and the ceilings have 4" Closed cell foam + 18" of blown-in cellulose insulation on top of the foam)

125,000btu seems like a lot for your 3 car garage if it is insulated at all. However, If you plan on leaving it at 45 degrees most of the time, and then warm it up to 60 when you work in there, a bigger furnace will help warm it up faster.... I leave my garage at 60 all of the time.

125K BTU is far more than a 2-1/2 to 3 car garage needs unless the garage has no insulation and an extreme amount of infiltration. Heating it quickly is worse than taking a little longer because the cycle will be too short. The short cycle will destroy the heat exchanger because of the condensation. Local code will determine whether the burner has to be sealed, or not. However, if any solvents with VOCs will be used or fine dust will be in the air, it's best to use a sealed burner and that will require double-wall ducting with combustion air drawn from the outside so CO isn't an issue. The manual for a heater will indicate how much combustion air will be needed.

Shooter McKevin
12-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Would something like this be an option?

http://buytack.com/products-ranch/kec/main1.htm

02SammyD, I'm assuming your garage is bigger than 19x19?

captain planet
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Kinda what I was thinking.

Infra-red heaters are nice for garages.

JimN
12-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Kinda what I was thinking.

Infra-red heaters are nice for garages.

They're great. They're also expensive. I'm not planning to stay here long enough to make it economical. As long as I don't have the hot air blowing on me all the time, I don't mind this kind of heater but I may call the dealer close to me and ask about making some kind of plenum so I can distribute the heat more effectively, but without screwing up the flow rate. I also plan to re-circulate the air that rises, using a couple of blowers that are made for gravity furnaces- they go inline on the supply duct and are pretty cheap.