PDA

View Full Version : Every time some one looks at my boat

cwarndahl
12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
hi all

last year i had my engine aligned at texas ski ranch. this year i had another MC place replace my water pump and they said i need an engine alignment. but in reading the forums it needs to be in the water to confirm this.

riser gaskets, they tell me i have a leak, this job seems easy enough to do.

shaft log repack, i thought i had this done last year, how ever when i had th boat out i did see a drop or two of water coming from there.

any suggestions i think i can do the riser gaskets. any place to get a service manual?

i have a 2001 mc x-10
thanks for looking and for advice in advance.

JohnnyB
12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
How do they know all this? Did they water test it?

For engine alignment, Did they disassemble the prop shaft flange and check alignment?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

cwarndahl
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
thats what im thinking. they take it right from my dry stack to the shop. then show me a photo of the drive shaft resting on the bottom part of the rubber gasket.

mikeg205
12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
???? you can do all that yourself for cheaps....specially the riser gaskets... I can see them saying --- oh your risers are too pitted and you'll need new manifolds and risers - which then means new hoses. The shaft log too too easy...$13 bucks for a graphic packing - takes about 20 minutes even when drinking a beer....I am surprised they did not tell you needed a new thermostat housing... something smells funny here.

cwarndahl
12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
thats what i thought, im pretty mechanically inclined, so a little direction and i can do most stuff myself. any idea where to get info i have been looking on you tube ext. any other direction would help.
thanks

Cloaked
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
thats what i thought, im pretty mechanically inclined, so a little direction and i can do most stuff myself. any idea where to get info i have been looking on you tube ext. any other direction would help.
thanks
Packing is easy as is the riser gasket(s) project. Riser gaskets require the most time to clean the mating surface(s) prior to installing a new gasket.

Engine alignment is mostly a true (+ / - tolerance) runout of the transmission coupler, that may be construed to continue through the coupler / shaft / thru-hull out to the end of the shaft.

Some of the older manuals have a picture with specs of alignment and coupler connection.

I have found that other than engine tear-downs, most mechanical things are fairly straight forward.

Do a search on this forum's search engine for "engine + alignment" and see what comes up ( ==> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44302&highlight=engine+alignment or http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44139&highlight=engine+alignment , etc....)

Skidim dot com for parts.

mikeg205
12-11-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.clymer.com/SearchResults.aspx?mn=Indmar&c=MARINE&mid=135

I bought this and along with the info from this forum - I have done all my work myself.

Some of the stuff in the manual is a bit dated - but you can track down everything else here.

If you have a question - post a picture along with it.... if you did something wrong...someone will spot it.... :D

Cloaked
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Also, here's a link with excellent commentary and pictures for replacing packing in a traditional stuffing box. I think this site also has the newer packing gland installation as well.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

cwarndahl
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
awsome guys i appreciate it.

Lumbergh
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Cut down a 5/16 allen wrench and use a box end wrench around allen stub and you should be able to get the hex head riser bolts right off.

Get a new gasket and bolts while you are at it. You can buy a whole kit with gasket/SS bolts/lock washers for about $12. Or just goto skidim and get what they sell.

Simple project, like its been said, you will spend more time getting old gasket material off than anything else.

You can inspect riser hoses while you have it apart.

Time and money, that's what its all about.