PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother Dualsport thread

CruisinGA
12-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Got hundreds of miles of forest service roads to explore around our lake house- we ride fourwheelers on quite a bit but the USFS is starting to crack down on them, even when riding responsibly.

I need a 90/10 dirt/street dualsport bike that I can register and tag. I want something 250-400. Don't need to go faster than 55 and want to keep it light because I will ride some tight trails as well as forest service roads.

I was thinking an XR400, but apparently even the "dualsport" models with lights, turn signals and mirrors are not actually tag-able.

Looking for something ~'95-05 model.

What other bikes should be looking at? The sticking point here is something taggable. Apparently it is impossible to tag any bike with an "offroad-only" title.

Covi
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Yamaha makes a WR 250 / 450 f model that is very nice for off road use. Husaberg makes a FE 390 with a 70 degree engine lay out that is suppose to be very nice. KTM has a ton of different options for off road use. KTM XFC-W 350 has recieved some outstanding reviews. GAS GAS has an EC 250 F, my opinion the bike is outstanding. Husqvarna TXC 310 is also one of my favorites. Everyone seems to be getting on the fuel injection band wagon. I would tried to go that route.Honda has a CRF 250 and 450 x that has not changed for ever. That is a good thing. Hard to find very expensive and outstanding reviews is the TM 250 FE!

skijwr
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I think the rules vary by each state, on how easy or difficult to get a tag for a dirt bike / dual sport. I got a tag in TN by jumping through a few hoops. My friend in NC say its very difficult to get a tag. I hear the KTMs are more "street ready" whatever that means.... I have a YZ 426 F.

skijwr
12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree with Covi on the Yamaha WR 450 / 426 / 400. great recommendation. You could probably get a 5 to 10 yr old for a good price. But you will need to add light kit or buy the bike with kit already on it.

skijwr
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Also, I hear the XR is a great bike but on the heavy side. Look up the OEM book weight on a few different bikes before you buy one. I hear good things about the DRZ 400 also for a dual sport, but again its on the heavy side....

pmkkdx
12-07-2011, 08:52 AM
yep, the rules vary pretty broadly between states on converting an off-road only titled bike to being street worthy. It can be quite the hassle dealing with all the conversion, paperwork, inspections, etc. but in my opinion, is preferred to buying an OEM streetable dual sport. Biggest reason I state that is most of the off-road only models have quite a few upgraded options in HP, brakes and suspension components designed to take the off-road racing punishment ... at least with the big 4 Jap bikes.
if you can find an '05 or later KTM EXC model, they came with the minimum equipment (blinkers, rear view mirror, hi/low headlight, brake light) and doesn't have the off-road only tag on the title. I know that Husqvarna also offered a streetable version of their off-road only models too (I think it was later, like 2007-08?) ... These will not be near as available in the used market as the Big 4 though and considerably more expensive.

dlamont
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
you can pick up a drz400 for about $3k that should be in great shape with low miles. If you want something lighter, I go for a WR250. My drz is great for forrest roads and single track, but if you are going to be in sand dunes or on a track I'd go for something lighter.

pmkkdx
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
you can pick up a drz400 for about $3k that should be in great shape with low miles. If you want something lighter, I go for a WR250. My drz is great for forrest roads and single track, but if you are going to be in sand dunes or on a track I'd go for something lighter.

ha ... easier to pick up when dumped in the sand :rolleyes:

BWB-745-
12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Check out the WR426 for sale by a member here. Although I don't know how difficult it would be to get a tag on it.