PDA

View Full Version : Harold's old teak pdf

CantRepeat
12-06-2011, 05:18 AM
It seems as the link has been removed. Here is a copy I had saved.

After doing this one season and finding out just how slippery the teak becomes I must say this is better left for boat shows then the river.

I think there is a better way for good looking teak without the hazards.

Go to this thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14640 and read Kyle's post starting at post #244.

JohnE
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
After having numerous people take a spill off my platform using Harold's method, I would not recommend it for regular use. If you want a show stopper, then absolutely. Especially where the new platforms are a complete surface so to speak and the older ones were like a grid.

BrianM
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I have used that method on mine and never found it overly slick. The finish has really held up as well.

east tx skier
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I always did a modified version of his method. I think taking it up to 2,000 grit would be too slick for practical use. It looks nice, but so does 800.

willyt
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I looks nice too, me thinks so 8p

Haha sorry, couldn't let you get away with that one

CantRepeat
12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
There is absolutely no doubt that it looks great and will last a long time. But, if you take it down to the 2000 grit is will be very slippery when wet.

But if you are trying to redo teak for a show it's great.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=43

SkiDog
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
There is absolutely no doubt that it looks great and will last a long time. But, if you take it down to the 2000 grit is will be very slippery when wet.

But if you are trying to redo teak for a show it's great.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=43

Tim, that looks great!

JohnE
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
FWIW, Harold's method doesn't hold up so well when you actually use it to put your ski or board on.

swatguy
12-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Since the slipperiness has come into play. I will add my cheater method that I use to keep my teak looking showroom with zero maintainancefor season. I refinish it once every 2 seasons. I use a product called Sikkens. It's a teak sealer comes in 3 different teak colors. I add their silica grip to between coats and it is awesome.

CantRepeat
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
FWIW, Harold's method doesn't hold up so well when you actually use it to put your ski or board on.

Yup, like any of the other methods for teak finishes, if you use the platform for it's intended purpose Harold's method does scratch up just like any other finish.

-V-
12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
anyone here ever pressure wash the teak to clean it prior to redoing it? my father-in-law tried to help and it took out small chips and chuncks. :(

CantRepeat
12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
anyone here ever pressure wash the teak to clean it prior to redoing it? my father-in-law tried to help and it took out small chips and chuncks. :(

You're better off with low pressure and teak cleaner & brightener using a soft bristle brush.

liledgy
12-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Yup, I used a commercial one (carefully) we have at work to clean the teak on my 84. Shot some soap on it, let it sit for a few minutes and then hit it with high pressure and hot, hot water. I couldn't believe the filth that was coming off! I was careful to keep the wand a safe distance fron the wood, as to not damage it. I let it dry for about a week in my garage and then put 3 coats of teak oil on it. If I would have read this link first I probably would've followed up with some sanding in between coats. Anyhow, my platform came out nice.

SkiDog
12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
You're better off with low pressure and teak cleaner & brightener using a soft bristle brush.

Teak is a fairly soft wood and should not ever be pressure washed with high pressure.

Cloaked
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
anyone here ever pressure wash the teak to clean it prior to redoing it? my father-in-law tried to help and it took out small chips and chuncks. :(That's all I ever do as I have stated many times. Teak oils sucks.... girlie platforms are for girls.... Here's a platform in perfect condition.

Mine gets a pressure wash once a year in the spring. Chips and chunks means it's in good shape for another year...

Use it or park it....:D

east tx skier
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Light sanding and a few coats of teak oil left to dry will yield a platform that looks nice and is functional.

I put my ski on standing on this platform and it doesn't look too much worse for the wear at the end of the season.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eoHi6r276TY/TVslWL8u5bI/AAAAAAAADtw/2VXQ_5FkQcg/s512/PICT0018.JPG

CantRepeat
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
That's all I ever do as I have stated many times. Teak oils sucks.... girlie platforms are for girls.... Here's a platform in perfect condition.

Mine gets a pressure wash once a year in the spring. Chips and chunks means it's in good shape for another year...

Use it or park it....:D

Looks like there was a lot of recreation going on with that one!

Cloaked
12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks like there was a lot of recreation going on with that one!I use it.... :D