PDA

View Full Version : Prostar GasTank / Battery Cover?

mmpol30
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
When I pull the back seat out of my 92 Prostar I see the gas tank and battery. See Picture. When it was new did it come with a panel between the two? Has anybody ever made one? If so do you have dimensions, materials, pictures?

Any information would be great

Thanks

mikeg205
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
No panel on mine... no mounts or remnants of divider. only bracket loops as seen in your pic. I will be making a mod and mounting in a battery cover box this year.

Cloaked
12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
A panel was in place on the '93 that I recently bought. I would have expected it to have had a panel. The older boats that I have had, have all had panels. I usually pull my rear seat out and it sets on a shelf 90% of the time.

I am moving my battery up front under the passenger seat and adding a second battery in the same area.

The partition wall that would be to the left of the driver's left leg is lacking a little so I have cut a piece of 3/4" ply to put in its place (resin and carpeted). I used the crappy piece that was there as a template. Worked out well.

If you are in need, I can measure and take a picture(s) for you (of the rear panel).

Lumbergh
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
There is supposed to be a panel, I believe. Mine has one.

1991 PS. I will take some pics and measure as well if I get a moment.

mikeg205
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
duh... oh..that panel....

19" x 67.5"
4 Clips 2.75 - the bend is 1.5 inches long leave about 3/8 of an inch between plastic to latch under stern top.
2 straps to remove

marine carpeting over some kind of 1/4 inch plastic.

Hope that helps

Lumbergh
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
mgorczak1 nailed it.

Mine is exactly like it, grey carpet and all.

mmpol30
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for such a quick response from everyone.

When you say 19" x 67.5". That is just a flat rectangle, no bends or non straight lines?

Cloaked
12-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for such a quick response from everyone.

When you say 19" x 67.5". That is just a flat rectangle, no bends or non straight lines?There is a slight radius that follows the curvature of the boat where it goes in place. Take a piece of cardboard and trace a template or run a tape measure across the boat. The long dimension will have a radius, the short dimension will not. Those things are made of some type of material similar to Lexan (pricey).

mikeg205
12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
There is a slight radius that follows the curvature of the boat where it goes in place. Take a piece of cardboard and trace a template or run a tape measure across the boat. The long dimension will have a radius, the short dimension will not. Those things are made of some type of material similar to Lexan (pricey).

Good advice cloaked... Yeah it's straight when you lay it on the floor but does follow the curve of the stern of the boat.

BTW 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4 inch - close to 100 mills

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3140849&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-LEXAN%208'%20x%204'%20Clear%20Acrylic%20Sheet&CAWELAID=1051545028

I also think the lexan will not melt if sprayed or rolled with carpet adhesive.

Cloaked
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Good advice cloaked... Yeah it's straight when you lay it on the floor but does follow the curve of the stern of the boat.

BTW 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4 inch - close to 100 mills

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3140849&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-LEXAN%208'%20x%204'%20Clear%20Acrylic%20Sheet&CAWELAID=1051545028

I also think the lexan will not melt if sprayed or rolled with carpet adhesive.I wouldn't pay for the Lexan. The 1/4" (or 3/8" if they make it) ply with fiberglass resin on it would do the trick. The curvature will come as you install the panel and then set the seat in on it. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

If you don't want the seat in and the 4 clips on top do not hold to configuration, there is a solution that was included on older boats. Right at the correct location (layout easy enough) there was a wooden block anchored to the floor (behind the panel / in front of the tank) that were used to anchor threaded fasteners into the block and hold the panel in place along withthe upper clips. Most of the old boats have that setup. The fuel cell will pull right out over the top of them when needed. Resin again will put the block right into place with no prblems of holding it in place.

I replaced the kick panel on my 93 and used 3/4" ply with resin. That stuff is something else once it hardens. Use a cheap brush and toss it (recycle properly) after you're done.

Here's a pic of a mounting block from another project I was working on. Look at the lower part of the center of the picture to see the carpeted block. That picture is when I was cutting into the floor to rework the platform with thru-bolts.

mikeg205
12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't pay for the Lexan. The 1/4" (or 3/8" if they make it) ply with fiberglass resin on it would do the trick. The curvature will come as you install the panel and then set the seat in on it. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

If you don't want the seat in and the 4 clips on top do not hold to configuration, there is a solution that was included on older boats. Right at the correct location (layout easy enough) there was a wooden block anchored to the floor (behind the panel / in front of the tank) that were used to anchor threaded fasteners into the block and hold the panel in place along withthe upper clips. Most of the old boats have that setup. The fuel cell will pull right out over the top of them when needed. Resin again will put the block right into place with no prblems of holding it in place.

I replaced the kick panel on my 93 and used 3/4" ply with resin. That stuff is something else once it hardens. Use a cheap brush and toss it (recycle properly) after you're done.

Here's a pic of a mounting block from another project I was working on. Look at the lower part of the center of the picture to see the carpeted block. That picture is when I was cutting into the floor to rework the platform with thru-bolts.

Hey cloaked - I like the plywood solution....much cheaper...

Jorski
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
With plywood you will have truble with the bend. It has to bend into an arc to fit into place....original one is a very flexible plastic, with metal pieces that slide behind the upper edge of the fibreglass lip from the top deck of your transom.