PDA

View Full Version : Tower Braces for '07 X1

X-1Texas
12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a 07 X1 that I bought in Jan. 2011 and it doesn't have the tower braces. Heard of people on here getting them free at their Mastercraft dealer. Checked with our dealer and they said they need the hull # to check with Mastercraft to see if they get them free or not. Dealer said it's hit and miss, sometimes they'll do it for free and sometimes they won't.

Just heard back from the dealer today. They said Mastercraft won't give them to us free, but the dealer will give them to us at the employee price $350, down from $500.

Should I try another dealer? Why is it hit and miss, whether they give them free or not?

LouisvilleFan
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Just talked to my dealer and he said that all he needs is the hull # so MasterCraft can record it so they don't send more then 1 per boat...maybe somone took your number and sold you braces on e-bay???

He said they don't pay for instal and I'd get instructions on how to do it. That should be no problem.

I'll let you know what they come back with on mine (fingers crossed).

JohnE
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I do not believe that MC will not give your dealer the braces for free if they haven't already given them to that HIN. Maybe you need to talk to someone else at your dealer or they need to talk to someone different at MC.

X-1Texas
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure if my hull # has been used to get a set of braces in the past. That's what bothers me about this, they don't say your hull # has been used. They say, "We'll have to check with Mastercraft to see if they'll do it or not. It's hit or miss."

It shouldn't be hit or miss. Either they've given a set of braces for the hull # number or not. If they've given braces for my hull #, I guess it's possible that they were sold on Ebay or something.

mastercraft06x2
12-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I got tower braces on my 2007 X-2 this year actually couple of weeks ago just gave them my boat vin # ordered them, came the next week free install at my MC dealer.

mastercraft06x2
12-04-2011, 12:31 PM
MC should give them to you for free 2007 up your tower should be under warranty for the braces and the labor MC does for it should be free thats how mine worked out.

hope yours does 2

bturner2
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
My dealer got me the braces for free but I had to install them. Worked for me as I wanted to do it myself anyway.

Millertime
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
My 08 X2 had these braces on it when I bought it.(this fall) Does anyone know why they are different than most other ones I've seen. All the other ones I've seen look more square with holes?

2RLAKE
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
My 08 X2 had these braces on it when I bought it.(this fall) Does anyone know why they are different than most other ones I've seen. All the other ones I've seen look more square with holes?

Those are the ones i have on my '08 X14 also ... they are the then current design ... MC changed the designed later to more flat looking ones with holes (weight saving)

bturner2
12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
I doubt it had as much to do with weight savings as it did styling. The braces I got from the dealer for my boat are all CNC machined, must cost a mint to make and boarder on a work of art. The ones in the picture are a basic functional brace that I'm sure do the job at hand.

mastercraft06x2
12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
In the pic above you have the GEN. 1 version then gen 2 have the holes in them. You want the gen 2 version

Those are the ones i have on my '08 X14 also ... they are the then current design ... MC changed the designed later to more flat looking ones with holes (weight saving)

Millertime
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Yes, you definitely want Gen 2, much nicer. I am going to look into swapping those out for Gen 2. Anybody done this? would it be as easy as bolting the new ones in place of the old ones?

stt
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Not so easy. You have to take the speakers off the tower to get the ring spacer off. Hardest part for me was getting the speakers out of the cans. Once that is done it is fairly easy, just takes some time. Putting the Gen 2 braces on are pretty easy once the Gen 1s are out of the way.

BrooksfamX2
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Lookie...........

Millertime
12-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys. stt where did you get your new braces? What did they cost?

mastercraft06x2
12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_325.asp hope this helps. i would have an MC dealer install them for you. you could see if your boat is under warranty. then they will buy them/install them for you. ( that's what i did for my boat )

Thanks guys. stt where did you get your new braces? What did they cost?

Millertime
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
mastercraft06x2 did they replace your gen 1 braces or put new ones on?

stt
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
My dealer, I installed myself

mastercraft06x2
12-07-2011, 10:36 AM
No i never had GEN 1's on my boat only GEN 2 much nicer and but MC bought them for me then installed them for free. hope you can do the same

Millertime
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I've got the gen 1 so I can't see them replacing them with gen 2. I'm sure the ones I have serve there purpose. But maybe I'll give it a try. The new ones are alot nicer.

X-1Texas
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
So it sounds like no one on here has had to pay $350-500 for tower braces for their 07 MC. Should I try another dealer? I'm not really worried about getting them installed, I don't think it will be a problem for me to install them.

I have some other parts that I'm wanting to buy from the dealer, but I was holding off to see what they would be able to do for me on the braces.

LouisvilleFan
12-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I am still waiting on my dealer to call me, I just gave him my 07 x1 hull # on Monday. I would try another dealer, it wouldn't hurt. Fingers still crossed!

X-1Texas
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Well I decided to try another dealer before spending $350 for a set of tower braces for my 07 X1. I contacted Jim and Chuck @ BAW and they took care of us. My new tower braces just arrived and all we had to pay was $25 shipping. I also purchased 4 pop-up cleats from them also.

A huge thank you to Jim and Chuck @ Bay Area Watersports. We'll always buy any Mastercraft parts from you even though we're in Texas.

TallRedRider
12-30-2011, 09:38 PM
That is amazing that a dealer just lost a sale on some product, probably because they were too lazy to call MC. Worse yet, they probably lost some future sales too. All the dealers out there: pay attention.

Set
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I obviously got burnt by the dealer I dealt with I had to pay for braces and install for my 07 X2. Only found out about warranty after the fact, would have been nice of them to mention it especially seeing as I was having a bunch of other stuff added on to the boat at the same time.

JohnE
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I have to wonder if dealers like this are either 1. So uninformed that they are not aware of the warranty, or 2. Submitting under warranty and charging customers. Either way it is ridiculous.

bturner2
01-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Most likely item number 2. When I worked at a Chrysler dealer long ago it was near common practice to charge customers for items Chrysler had a TSB on then submit the warranty claim as well. Not sure how things work now but back then the write up guys were paid commission on the amount of business they wrote. This experience has given me a different perspective when working with dealers of all types.

I typically will try to do all maintenance and repairs to my cars and boat but when I do need to take something in for repair I research the heck out of the problem and do the best I can not to get shafted by an ignorant or unscrupulous dealer. The best defense is to be prepared and to find/support good service establishments. Nothing tips a dealer off to an educated customer more than walking in with a printed copy of a TSB (technical service bulletin) or a post from an enthusiast site like this.

From a MasterCraft perspective I'm lucky to have Action Water Sports close by. They're not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but they do good work and have always been very fair with me while providing first class service.

JohnE
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Most likely item number 2. When I worked at a Chrysler dealer long ago it was near common practice to charge customers for items Chrysler had a TSB on then submit the warranty claim as well. Not sure how things work now but back then the write up guys were paid commission on the amount of business they wrote. This experience has given me a different perspective when working with dealers of all types.

I typically will try to do all maintenance and repairs to my cars and boat but when I do need to take something in for repair I research the heck out of the problem and do the best I can not to get shafted by an ignorant or unscrupulous dealer. The best defense is to be prepared and to find/support good service establishments. Nothing tips a dealer off to an educated customer more than walking in with a printed copy of a TSB (technical service bulletin) or a post from an enthusiast site like this.

From a MasterCraft perspective I'm lucky to have Action Water Sports close by. They're not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but they do good work and have always been very fair with me while providing first class service.

Yeah, same happened to a guy I know at a ford dealer years ago.

As far as "not cheap" for AWS, a reputable dealer can't ever be "cheap". Reasonable is all I'm looking for. It takes a lot of money to keep a business doing well.

mastercraft06x2
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Nerdlingr-There was a different guy the owned my boat before me but did not matter, any 2007 tower should have tower braces. my dealer paid for everything and install all free. you shouldnt have to pay a dime. your MC dealer should take care of you otherwise your gonna end up screwing up your tower then that 8,000 grand out of your pocket i would try and push to have the pay for it cause it helps 100%. hope this helps you out

LouisvilleFan
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
UPDATE - my braces have finally arived! NO CHARGE!

mastercraft06x2
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
UPDATE - my braces have finally arived! NO CHARGE!

SWEET DEAL, glad it worked out.