PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Droid Bionic?

airdrew99
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm looking a Droid Bionic for my wife. I've used a few at the Verizon stores and I really like them so far. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this type of phone, please?

Drew

madcityskier
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Picked up a Razr recently. Has much better life than the HTC I had and is faster than hell. Does take up a lot of space in my pocket, but the larger screen is great for watching football when I'm stuck away from home on Monday night.

SkiDog
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm looking a Droid Bionic for my wife. I've used a few at the Verizon stores and I really like them so far. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of this type of phone, please?

Drew

I have one and LOVE it! i had the droid Charge and loved it too except it would drop calls like crazy! Went thru 4 of them. No fix. So they gave me a Bionic instead. Not one issue with it so far. I think they really put some effort into making this this a real PHONE! One great feature is it recognizes numbers that you call frequently. So when you go to make a call, the phone automatically pops up the number, so you don't have to dial the entire number. Kinda hard to explain but it really works well. This phone is also fast as lightening too, on the internet. Haven't found any cons yet. Good luck!

airdrew99
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I have one and LOVE it! i had the droid Charge and loved it too except it would drop calls like crazy! Went thru 4 of them. No fix. So they gave me a Bionic instead. Not one issue with it so far. I think they really put some effort into making this this a real PHONE! One great feature is it recognizes numbers that you call frequently. So when you go to make a call, the phone automatically pops up the number, so you don't have to dial the entire number. Kinda hard to explain but it really works well. This phone is also fast as lightening too, on the internet. Haven't found any cons yet. Good luck!

SkiDog,
How long have you had it? How well does the battery last? My Droid Incredible has to be charged every night and sometimes during the day. What do you think about the camera and camcorder? Thanks for the input.

Drew

Footin
11-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I love my droid X, but I have been thinkin about the bionic also.

sp00ky
11-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Whichever Android you choose you should always root it to gain access to remove BS apps taking up resources. My HTC EVO battery sucked until I rooted now can go 1.5 days consistently.

Just Google root the Droid bionic.

The market has tons of cool apps which are only useful once the phone is rooted.

east tx skier
11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
+1. Root it and run a custom kernel and it will be quick and have great battery life among other things. Spooky, which rom are you running on the EVO?

sp00ky
11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
+1. Root it and run a custom kernel and it will be quick and have great battery life among other things. Spooky, which rom are you running on the EVO?

I've just been removing crap from the stock Rom so far but was thinking of trying this one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1158666

east tx skier
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
That's based on Mik's 2.2.

I'm running the latest version of MikG (2.61 I think) and love it. Got it off of XDA, but now download it from his site.

MikG (http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?6784-MikG-v2.61-11-23-2011%29)

Be sure to backup your current rom and do a full wipe (dalvik cache, files, etc.) before installing.

SkiDog
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
SkiDog,
How long have you had it? How well does the battery last? My Droid Incredible has to be charged every night and sometimes during the day. What do you think about the camera and camcorder? Thanks for the input.

Drew

Camera & camcorder are great. Didn't know about the rooting of the battery, but i am gonna do that right now. I can get all day battery right now, and I'm on the phone a lot!

airdrew99
11-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the all the info guys. I haven't heard of anything wrong with the Bionic yet. I'm hoping they go on sale as Christmas gets closer. Last year we got our Droid Incredibles for buy one get one free.

east tx skier
11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Camera & camcorder are great. Didn't know about the rooting of the battery, but i am gonna do that right now. I can get all day battery right now, and I'm on the phone a lot!

Rooting is just a means of gaining greater access to the phone. The improved battery life is largely accomplished through running ROMs, kernals, and radios that are more efficient.

Doing things like taking the phone off auto brightness and dimming the screen below 25% (you won't notice after a few minutes) and setting it to only check email every 30 minutes will drastically increase your battery life before you root it. You can also set it to not have the data on all the time (although I don't do this). Set like this, it will turn data on when the app, e.g., the browser, needs it, but will leave it off when nothing is using it. Doing this creates a bit of a lag when you want to use data (not a long one), and as a result, I elected to leave it on.

My phone, HTC EVO with the standard battery that is more than a year old, has been unplugged since 7:30 a.m. and I still have 72% of the battery left.

sp00ky
11-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Rooting is just a means of gaining greater access to the phone. The improved battery life is largely accomplished through running ROMs, kernals, and radios that are more efficient.

Doing things like taking the phone off auto brightness and dimming the screen below 25% (you won't notice after a few minutes) and setting it to only check email every 30 minutes will drastically increase your battery life before you root it. You can also set it to not have the data on all the time (although I don't do this). Set like this, it will turn data on when the app, e.g., the browser, needs it, but will leave it off when nothing is using it. Doing this creates a bit of a lag when you want to use data (not a long one), and as a result, I elected to leave it on.

My phone, HTC EVO with the standard battery that is more than a year old, has been unplugged since 7:30 a.m. and I still have 72% of the battery left.

Right rooting the phone gives you complete access to it (which we should have anyway but the carriers SUCK). A SIDE benefit is better control of functions and apps which rob battery life. A good example if you put any smart phone in airplane mode battery lasts 4 days plus.

I will do this on backpacking trips where charging is bot am option.

sp00ky
11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
That's based on Mik's 2.2.

I'm running the latest version of MikG (2.61 I think) and love it. Got it off of XDA, but now download it from his site.

MikG (http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?6784-MikG-v2.61-11-23-2011%29)

Be sure to backup your current rom and do a full wipe (dalvik cache, files, etc.) before installing.

Oh yeah I'm in IT and I never make ANY changes without a backup.

east tx skier
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Short of rooting, another thing you can do is get rid of any task killer apps you may have. Gingerbread does a pretty good job of this already and the task killer apps eat up the battery life.

JohnE
12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
SkiDog,

Drew
I'm replacing my Incredible with an iphone as soon as it arrives, likely in 2 weeks. I have a spare battery plus a wall charger to charge it when it's not in the phone. If you want them plus the original battery I'll send them to you when new phone arrives.

-V-
12-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm replacing my Incredible with an iphone as soon as it arrives, likely in 2 weeks. I have a spare battery plus a wall charger to charge it when it's not in the phone. If you want them plus the original battery I'll send them to you when new phone arrives.

NO NOT AN IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

airdrew99
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to be replacing my phone and my wife's phone with the Droid Bionic (I think).