PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to join in screwing with a scammer?

willyt
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Ok, so saw an add for a 40th anniversary edition xstar on onlyinboards awhile ago in new brenamin, oh (Which is in the middle of absolute nowhere, but only about an hour from me). Called the number, it had been disconnected, first clue. Never heard back until now. Add didn't have a price, email indicated it was 35k. For a 40th anniversary? Yea right. Got some pictures of the boat, and in the series there's a pic that is used to list another 40th in new orleans. Called that number, disconnected as well.

Trying to come up with creative ways to screw with this guy... Thinking about when he says the transaction can only be completed through eBay, and the 'good friend he know that owns a shipping company' can ship it to me for free.. I'll tell him I don't have a eBay account but my uncle who works in cyber crimes for the FBI does... Or something like that. Anyone have any better ideas?

FourFourty
11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Tell him that you will need to see the boat to verify the HIN. When he tells you that it is "Already at the shipping company", Tell him you will need $100.00, from him, so that you can have the HIN verified. As soon as that is ok, you will send him prompt payment for a $500.00 downpayment, and credit him the $100.00 after the HIN check comes back clean....

The scammers are after the deposit money, plain and simple. My buddy did this (above) with a car scam. The scammer actually sent him the $100 in cash, expecting that he would soon have $600.00 back..... I was very surprised that he did, but I guess he figured he would end up ahead in the end.

It is not likely that it would work..... but it is worth a try.

JBrew
11-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Will don't you have better things to do? Haha jk. But I like the above idea.... Pocket a quick 100 sounds good!

BrianT
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Great idea, give it a try to see if it works. Let us know if you get the $100

CantRepeat
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Tell him that you will need to see the boat to verify the HIN. When he tells you that it is "Already at the shipping company", Tell him you will need $100.00, from him, so that you can have the HIN verified. As soon as that is ok, you will send him prompt payment for a $500.00 downpayment, and credit him the $100.00 after the HIN check comes back clean....

The scammers are after the deposit money, plain and simple. My buddy did this (above) with a car scam. The scammer actually sent him the $100 in cash, expecting that he would soon have $600.00 back..... I was very surprised that he did, but I guess he figured he would end up ahead in the end.

It is not likely that it would work..... but it is worth a try.

I think that if you do this, and he does send you the money, you have broken the law as well by committing fraud.

Beating them down with emails that make them think they have a chance at getting paid and then pulling the rug from underneath their feet is fun.

gatorguy
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I think that if you do this, and he does send you the money, you have broken the law as well by committing fraud.

I agree, except there is no HID to verify, so He can keep the money free and clear.:D

FrankSchwab
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree, except there is no HID to verify, so He can keep the money free and clear.:D

IMHO, IANAL, etc., but I think if you take the money, you must do your part - you must contact the shipping company to verify the HIN. If the "shipping company" is his brother-in-law and reads a valid HIN back to you, you're in a quandary. You can't just drop everything, because you've agreed to a sale and taken money from the seller. You're probably not willing to get on a plane and go visit the "shipping company" in person to prove that it's a scam. You've got a problem if this isn't a scam and the seller involves the police.

Lars
11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I believe it's called Scambaiting. There are some funny stories on the internet of people who go to great lengths to screw with the scammers.

brk8mit
11-29-2011, 03:03 PM
I am in on blasting away with emails:):)

Thrall
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
A buddy and I played a scammer on a boat. W kept bombarding him with emails about our interest and he started raising the price, saying "I have someone else interested in it for $XXXX."
After running it for a while buddy emailed the scammer and copied me, so the scammer could see that we had been wasting his time, telling him to FO!
The entertaining part was us asking specific, ridiculous questions, like "Please tell me when the last time the muffler bearings were serviced." ANd getting the ridiculous responses.

JBrew
11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
This thread has caused me to waste my entire day at work reading scam baiting blogs... Some of the trouble people go to in order to scam a scammer is crazy!!

jakethebt
11-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Do you mean New Bremen Ohio? That is in the middle of nowhere. That is a large and expensive boat for that area. Only one lake in an hours drive that would be worth that boat, and that lake is only 8 ft deep! Smells like a scam from that point alone...

That is about an hour north of me, if there were an actual boat there, I would be more than happy to help in any way. If the scammers were actually there and you needed back up, that would be fun too ;)

willyt
11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Haha nope. Definitely scam. Pulled out the PayPal.

willyt
11-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok, here's the transcript of the conversation. I don't want to try and extort any money via anything illegal... So I figure we just inundate him with ridiculous questions. The HIN he gave me was BS btw.

Hi there,

My schedule is pretty tight and I just wanted to let you know that I would* like to use PayPal to handle the transaction. I am choosing this type of service because a couple of weeks ago I flew back home for someone interested. He told me he had the cash to pay for the boat, but it turned out he was a middleman and wanted to significantly hassle the price. This type of service would assure me that the money is available and that we agreed on a price.

As soon as the transaction trough PayPal is completed , we can either arrange for local pickup, or I can have it shipped somewhere close to your location for an inspection by a licensed mechanic. Pending the inspection, you will release the money from PayPal to me. If your shop finds any damages to it, you can either get your money back, or we can deduct the cost of the repairs from the initial asking price.

Anyway, I am confident that the boat will pass any kind of inspection. I'd appreciate if you could let me know if you agree to work this way or not.

Thanks
William Leckie
(312) 985-7944

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Will Telzerow <will.telzerow@gmail.com> wrote:
Will,*
This looks pretty solid. Would love to come up and see it this, or next weekend. Would that be possible?

On Nov 29, 2011, at 11:06 AM, William Leckie <william@usndf.com> wrote:

The boat was used only on the Lake Michigan, also I have the full service history and the maintenance records. Also the boat has only 71 hours. The hin is* MBCNLBZ1F708

Thanks
Will

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Will Telzerow <will.telzerow@gmail.com> wrote:
Will,*
Thanks for getting the pictures so quickly. Boat looks really, really clean.*

Could you just give me a general history of the boat, what a typical day on the lake was for you guys, etc?*

Also, could I get the HIN? I'm close with the Cincinnati Mastercraft dealer here, he knows I've been looking so he'll run any HIN I give him for me.*

I'd really like to take a look at it this weekend somehow - would that be possible?

On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:14 PM, William Leckie <william@usndf.com> wrote:

Yes the boat is winterized, you can find more pictures here: http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g440/kuslion33/

Thanks
Will

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM, <willtelz@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
William,
Sure, I think if I had some more pictures of the boat it might spark some more questions. Could you send some? If they're not current, don't worry.
I googled Michigan City and it's not too far away from where I am, so I could definitely come take a look if we get that far.

I imagine the boat is winterized already?

Thanks,
Will

---- William Leckie <william@usndf.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your interest in my boat and I apologize that I did not
> answer right away but I encountered some problems with a previous buyer who
> promised to buy the boat but his financing was not approved.
>
> The boat is stored in the Michigan City, IN where we also have a vacation
> house.
>
> I need to inform you that I am the first and only owner, the boat is in
> perfect shape as it can be seen by the low number of hours used, has been
> used only in fresh water and has been well cleaned and taken care of after
> each use.
>
> If you need the boat to be shipped, a very good friend of mine owns a truck
> company and if you are really interested, I can ship the boat without any
> problems. Please email me your questions and your phone #.
>
> Thanks
> William Leckie

CantRepeat
11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
You should keep after him for a a date to come see the boat and a test drive!!