PDA

View Full Version : Muffler pin hole leak

david_ski
11-29-2011, 02:31 AM
I found a pin hole leak in one of my mufflers.

I was noticing more water in bilge than usual (typically none).
After taking off prop shaft access panel I noticed a small spray emiting from muffler right after the 45 degree bend, before the muffler increases in size through the baffles. It is literally a pin hole leak. No apparent cracks.

This is the original OEM 'silentmaster' on a 1993 Prostar.

Looking at the muffler closely, it is really a straight muffler with a 45 degree coupler glassed onto the intake port to make the 45 degree bend. You can see the chop weave of the original glass matting.

I am thinking of sanding down the exterior and re fiberglassing around the leak area. I will take the muffler by my neighborhood marine repair expert (who does full repairs to fiberglass, aluminum, and wooden boats), and get his opinion on whether he thinks it is repairable.

It seems like it is worth a try to try to repair the muffler. Worst case; it does not work and I have to replace it with new.

Any opinions, or past experience with muffler holes/cracks?

coz
11-29-2011, 07:33 AM
I found a pin hole leak in one of my mufflers.

I was noticing more water in bilge than usual (typically none).
After taking off prop shaft access panel I noticed a small spray emiting from muffler right after the 45 degree bend, before the muffler increases in size through the baffles. It is literally a pin hole leak. No apparent cracks.

This is the original OEM 'silentmaster' on a 1993 Prostar.

Looking at the muffler closely, it is really a straight muffler with a 45 degree coupler glassed onto the intake port to make the 45 degree bend. You can see the chop weave of the original glass matting.

I am thinking of sanding down the exterior and re fiberglassing around the leak area. I will take the muffler by my neighborhood marine repair expert (who does full repairs to fiberglass, aluminum, and wooden boats), and get his opinion on whether he thinks it is repairable.

It seems like it is worth a try to try to repair the muffler. Worst case; it does not work and I have to replace it with new.

Any opinions, or past experience with muffler holes/cracks?

I had the same thing in my 98 and it's definitely a DIY fix with a little fiberglass cloth and some resin, it's about a 10 minute fix if you mix the resin hot.