PDA

View Full Version : All in One Computers?

shepherd
11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
We're looking to upgrade to a new desktop computer. Thinking about an all-in-one computer, probably with touchscreen. Any suggestions? What's the best one out there? The iMacs look nice but I think we're going to stay with Microsoft products.

I want a bigger screen, and wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. And great performance for multi-media applications.

Thanks!

gatorguy
11-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I have PC stuff, but am switching to Mac. I just think they are better, and it speaks the same language as my iPhone and iPad.

medicmoose
11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I have an iMac and recommend very highly! As well, with the integration between the Mac and PC programs....it is not as big of a deal as it used to be.

Cloaked
11-26-2011, 03:11 PM
We're looking to upgrade to a new desktop computer. Thinking about an all-in-one computer, probably with touchscreen. Any suggestions? What's the best one out there? The iMacs look nice but I think we're going to stay with Microsoft products.

I want a bigger screen, and wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. And great performance for multi-media applications.

Thanks!Touch screen means finger prints... :D I despise cleaning a screen and all of the germs that go with touching a screen... :D My iPhone is nastier than a toilet bowl and it's no fault of my own.. Just the way it is with anything one touches...

In a summary:
Multimedia performance requires an upper end video card with its own memory and the computer should have a min of 4 gig of RAM with Win7 OS. Hard drive would house the OS and basic necessities and an external drive would house other info, data, and pics. Look for the top end processsor (whatever the higher speeds are now days) and also consider the motherboard and an accommodating front bus speed for the processor.

Most systems are predetermined as compatible to the processor and after that, other preferences (as listed abouve) are optional relative to how much one wants to spend.

Wireless mouse and keyboard are fairly academic.

For the motherboard, consider the number of internal slots for expansion (most boards have three - 5 slots and some only two). I also look for USB ports to be plentiful but also figure one of the internal slots will accommodate an additional bank of 4 USB ports.

The type of monitor connections are fairly standard if you are buying new monitors.

Consider an HDMI connection if you have thoughts of running a large monitor such a flat screen TV while doing the wireless thing across the room.

I could ramble on but these are considerations for an all-purpose type machine. Just my $0.02. I am sure thare are others here that know a lot more than I about your thread topic.

My suggestion is to look at Dell's web site and build a machine to your likings with guidelines and suggestions that you get from this thread.

$0.02

russlars
11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Just go with an iMac. I switched over a couple years ago and have no regrets. There are much fewer issues to deal with, especially viruses. The service from Apple is amazing. If you ever have an issue you can usually have a real live human being on the phone in a matter of minutes and they actually speak English!

GT500 MC
11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Just go with an iMac. I switched over a couple years ago and have no regrets. There are much fewer issues to deal with, especially viruses. The service from Apple is amazing. If you ever have an issue you can usually have a real live human being on the phone in a matter of minutes and they actually speak English!

+1 on the iMac. Same. Always had a PC due to work but bought an iMac about 3 years ago. Versatile, and extremely easy to use, including for my 3 kids.

Jeffer
11-26-2011, 09:58 PM
If you are committed to Microsoft and not a Mac, go to HP's website and check out their all-in-one models. WAY better built than Dell, and there are some great deals going on now. Plus, HP has committed to building pcs moving forward, they had said they were going to sell off the business.

If you want to go that way, look at HP. You will be happy with their products.

MY $0.02 worth!

RustyMC
11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
another vote for iMac. I use Windows for work too, but you can dual boot Windows within the Mac Operating System very easily and run both right along side one another.