PDA

View Full Version : Location of batteries

EA2010
11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know if this pertains to all MC boats, but I am wondering about the placement of the batteries on the 2012 X-25.

Have the dual-batteries always been in the port midship locker?

It would make more sense to me to move them to the starboard side - under the instrument cluster ...

EA2010
11-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Here's the stock config under the port seat ...

EA2010
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
... and here's the starboard side (just begging for some batteries!):

EA2010
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice and neat after the cover is replaced ...

agarabaghi
11-25-2011, 10:08 PM
you batteries dont even look hooked up haha...

Nick911
11-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah poor battery placement. Wonder how big a job to move those?

gweaver
11-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't own an X-series, but I would assume that it has something to do with weight balance. If you move the batteries over under the instrument cluster, wouldn't you have the weight of two batteries on the same side as the driver? That might cause a bit of a list. Driver and batteries on opposite sides would help to balance weight distribution.
At least that's my guess.
G

bturner2
11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I would also have concerns of off gassing by the lead acid batteries in a closed area with all the switches and electronics located right above them. It could be a recipe for a fire or explosion. This could be mitigated with an alternative battery design (AGM) but MC would never know what a customer was going to install later so I would assume they would have to design to the least common denominator.

Then again I'm no marine engineer so.....

Jerseydave
11-26-2011, 09:23 AM
'05 X-star batteries are located under rear seat (port side)

I agree the battery weight should stay on the port side opposite the driver.

Your batteries are stealing away some good storage area for other items.

EA2010
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not convinced it's a weight thing. Two batteries weigh, what, 50lbs? I'm gonna have so many fat sacs in this boat that it doesn't matter, anyway.

My dealer thinks it would be ok (for safety reasons) to move them. The question will be whether the cables are long enough ... and whether they can be run thru the center hull to the starboard location.

I don't take ownership of my X-25 until April ... so it will be a while before I know for sure. Damn winter.

mikeg205
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I would also have concerns of off gassing by the lead acid batteries in a closed area with all the switches and electronics located right above them. It could be a recipe for a fire or explosion. This could be mitigated with an alternative battery design (AGM) but MC would never know what a customer was going to install later so I would assume they would have to design to the least common denominator.

Then again I'm no marine engineer so.....

Yeah I always think about that... by battery is right next to my gas tank....:confused: