PDA

View Full Version : Battery help

Millertime
11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my battery. On my battery selector I have off/one/combined, I've noticed with selector on one I can run stereo for about 20 min (medium volume), which has led me to believe it should be replaced. Then I turn selector to combined were back in business. Which battery do you guy recommend? What is the proper way to use battery selector? I assume leave it on one, then if needed emergency use combined?
Thanks

bturner2
11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Here we go again. The battery haters club is about to come into session......

This is a bit of a holy war that's been going on in multiple posts for years. The short version consensus is if you're looking to do lead acid the Interstates are hard to beat. If you're looking to do high-tech AGM the Dekas seem to be hot with the stereo boys (http://www.dekabatteries.com/). Optimas seem to take a beating on this site although I've had a pair for 3 seasons and they've worked flawlessly (http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php).

The up side on the AGM batteries is that they're sealed, can be mounted in non conventional locations and typically out perform their lead acid counter parts. The down side is price and maintenance is more challenging and will typically require a high end charger to maintain the battery's performance. Many of the batteries that fail can be contributed to poor charging habits and cheap/old chargers that are not able to provide the charging cycle required by these type batteries.

If you like lead acid whether it's for price or simplicity, great they're a simple cheap battery and the Interstate is a fine product. If you're looking for something a little more the AGMs will serve you well as long as you are able to provide proper maintenance.

Below is a picture of my Blue tops installed into a pair of billet battery trays. You can also see the battery switch and isolator in front of the batteries.

bobx1
11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
After years of reading responses to similar posts (in this forum and fishing boat forums and pontoon boat forums), I think I have come to the following conclusion (as being your safest bet):

Bat 1 = Cranking
Bat 2 = Deep Cycle (stereo)
Crank and run the boat on Bat 1. Listen to your stereo, without the boat running, on Bat 2.
With this setup, never use the "both" setting on the battery switch and when you get home, charge Bat 2.

If you refuse to do this, then both Bat 1 and Bat 2 need to be the same age/type/size battery and crank from Bat 1, listen from Bat 2, and you can swtich to "both" when the boat is running.

Let the technolgical flaming begin........

Millertime
11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Bobx1 I don't have battery 2 on my switch, if I have it on battery 1 while running does it only charge that battery?

Cloaked
11-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Bobx1 I don't have battery 2 on my switch, if I have it on battery 1 while running does it only charge that battery?The on position of ignition switch from the ignition to the charging relay will close the relay and charge both batteries when the switch is on. When ignition switch is off, the charging relay will open seperating the batteries. Your crap should be tied into the auxillary battery leaving the starting battery untouched. Run on combined and allow the relay to do, for what it is intended.

Alternator capability now comes into play if you go OCD. As well, the cable from the alternator to the hot lead on the starter may also trigger OCD. :D

I have two batttries and when I get home I put each on a Battery Tender. Done deal. No need to move the selector switch. The off ignition position will open the charging relay between the two and you'll have seperate charging banks. Another done deal.

No "high-end charger" needed. The Battery Tender will do exactly for what it is designed, i.e. charge, monitor, and tend to the battery's life-cycle.

Millertime
11-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Thank you for the help guys!:)

Millertime
11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Alternator capability now comes into play if you go OCD. As well, the cable from the alternator to the hot lead on the starter may also trigger OCD. :D

OCD? What is that?

bobx1
11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Did not read your post correctly regarding your switch. The switches I have used have 1, 2, Both (or ALL), and OFF. These switches allow you to isolate each battery or combine them. I have not used an OFF/ON/COMBINED switch. Here is what I was speaking about:

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/battery_switches/product/149/

agarabaghi
11-23-2011, 02:36 PM
If you are looking for a aux battery, these are what some of the big shot audio guys are using.

http://www.kinetikpower.com/2009/default.asp