PDA

View Full Version : Cost to repair???

holdenh2o
11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Any thoughts on how much this would cost to repair? Time is of the essence here, need to know how much it's going to cost me.

MIskier
11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Closer photos both inside and out, as well as a description of what happened would be helpful. I would wager 500+ for a great looking repair.

holdenh2o
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Ty. Unfortunately this is all I have to go on until later.

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
$500 to $1000 if no structural damage underneath....unless you have a good compressor and some patience... otherwise under $200 for filler, gel cost with color matching, air brush(buy) + (compressor rental), buffing compound, misc. supplies - if you do it yourself.... If it has to be perfect refer to the first amounts....Over time I have realized damage like that is about $100 per inch....sorry about the damage....did the bow scoot under a dock?

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 05:56 PM
On second thought and zooming in on the browser viewer... you will have to take the rub rail off to get a better look. I would bet the top lip of the boat which covers the hull is smashed as well. Which means two colors of gel coat, rivets, adhesive. Sorry for the prognosis - but it looks fairly serious.

Jerseydave
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I think a repair guy needs to see this in person, you're only going to get some close but rough estimates here.

Boat still looks usable to me until you can schedule a repair job.

swatkinz
11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I think a repair guy needs to see this in person, you're only going to get some close but rough estimates here.

Boat still looks usable to me until you can schedule a repair job.
WTH is a "close, but rough estimate"?

holdenh2o
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Problem is I'm thinking of buying it, but the boat is considerably far away. I'll drive to check it out, but wanted to know what I was looking at to negotiate. I was told it was run into a dock and that the damage was on top.

Cloaked
11-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Problem is I'm thinking of buying it, but the boat is considerably far away. I'll drive to check it out, but wanted to know what I was looking at to negotiate. I was told it was run into a dock and that the damage was on top.I have had one boat repaired from a crash (traffic). Relatively speaking to what I have experienced, figure that will cost $2500 to fix and adjust the price accordingly. That's a high-end estimate (guess) but it should cover the damage repair unless there is something sight-unseen that is lurking.

Under the circumstances, that damage may favor you a good deal, as leverage for the buyer.

Hopefully the deck is all that is damaged (for a conservative repair).

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I have had one boat repaired from a crash (traffic). Relatively speaking to what I have experienced, figure that will cost $2500 to fix and adjust the price accordingly. That's a high-end estimate (guess) but it should cover the damage repair unless there is something sight-unseen that is lurking.

Under the circumstances, that damage may favor you a good deal, as leverage for the buyer.

Hopefully the deck is all that is damaged (for a conservative repair).

looks like about 25 inches of damage...cloaked...yipes. that could have been way worse...

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM

I really suggest having the owner remove the bump rail to see if the damage includes the the top and bottom of the boat...without seeing what is lurking below the bump rail. You could always send the picture to midwest mastercraft in minneapolis for a worst cast estimate.

their the guys at www.waterskis.com.... they show some repairs on their website.

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Any thoughts on how much this would cost to repair? Time is of the essence here, need to know how much it's going to cost me.

Hey Holdenho.....why does the black stripe stop and not go to the keel under the damage area? could be more issues.

Cloaked
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I really suggest having the owner remove the bump rail to see if the damage includes the the top and bottom of the boat...without seeing what is lurking below the bump rail. You could always send the picture to midwest mastercraft in minneapolis for a worst cast estimate.

their the guys at www.waterskis.com (http://www.waterskis.com).... they show some repairs on their website.Honestly though, there is only so mush area under the rail. It should be evident just under the rail if there was damage to the hull.

ahhudgins
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Exactly what it says, a rough estimate that could go higher or lower depending on the actual damage. Even a fiberglass guy isn't going to give you a firm price just from looking at one picture. Like Cloaked said, I would just "assume" you are looking at $2,500.

ahhudgins
11-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey Holdenho.....why does the black stripe stop and not go to the keel under the damage area? could be more issues.

It looks like the stripe was messed up from the Boat Buddy? The boat was loaded when the trailer was too deep. We have a huge drop off at our ramp when the water is low, so I've lost an inch or two of my stripe as well.

Jerseydave
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM

their the guys at www.waterskis.com.... they show some repairs on their website.

The deck-to-hull is a shoebox-style fit. You may find some hidden damage once the rubrail is removed since there are 2 layers under it, hull & deck.
Since you are a distance away from it, why not hire a surveyor to take a look. He could check out the entire boat for you and give you some leverage to negotiate the best deal.

mikeg205
11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
The deck-to-hull is a shoebox-style fit. You may find some hidden damage once the rubrail is removed since there are 2 layers under it, hull & deck.
Since you are a distance away from it, why not hire a surveyor to take a look. He could check out the entire boat for you and give you some leverage to negotiate the best deal.

+1 on this..

bturner2
11-21-2011, 07:24 AM
My wife backed into our 200 MariStar way back when and caused similar damage. While the damage only appeared to be on the top due to the "shoe box" construction both the deck and hull ended up needing repair. From what I can see in the picture this is fairly close to the damage I had. Cost to repair our boat was $2500 from the best shop in our area. When it was done you couldn't see or tell where the repaired area was.

If I were buying in this situation and couldn't get an estimate for repair before the sale I'd take $3K off whatever the book value or the value of a comparable boat would be minimum. I'd be expecting a smokin deal on a boat damaged like this one.

CantRepeat
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
I got something close to that repaired for under $500.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=28830

holdenh2o
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Cantrepeat - looks awesome!!!!

This is what I'm thinking can be done in this situation.

CantRepeat
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Cantrepeat - looks awesome!!!!

This is what I'm thinking can be done in this situation.

You'll be amazed at what a good fiberglass gel coat guy can do.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

mikeg205
11-21-2011, 11:04 AM
great repair... wow...

holdenh2o
11-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Update:

Well, I went to see it and here was the deal: damage was more extensive than advertised. Knew the engine was bad and had a screaming deal lined up. But, the damage to the hull looked like more than I felt comfortable with. That and the owner was very evasive in being able to answer basic questions. Got a bad vibe and drove home.

bturner2
11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
The way it was hit and the location of that damage looked more than superficial to me. I was thinking there would be spider cracks on the deck and more moving back along the rub rail. Didn't look like a $500 repair to me, at least not here in the tundra (Michigan). Usually when you see a boat that's been left in that condition that you can see you can expect the parts you can't see to be in like condition. Sorry this didn't work out for you but at least you didn't get burned either.