PDA

View Full Version : flywheel throws water into starter

76stars_and_stripes
08-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi,
Just bought a 76 stars and stripes w/ 351 and velvet drive. Noticed that water in the bilge hits the flywheel throwing water into the starter. I know that means that the packings are probably shot, or another small problem. It is not a terrible leak. The pump works fine, but you know how water moves to the front and the back, sometimes away from the pump. Just spent a lot of money tuning and getting the boat water worthy, so the packings might be a winter project. I was told that a lot of boats had a flywheel cover or something that kept the water off the flywheel when water accumulates. Anybody got any ideas? How hard is it to adjust, replace packings? Also where can I find a rebuild kit for a holley "fish bowl" style carb.
Thanks

MarkP
08-06-2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.skidim.com/departments.asp?dept=1009 Good for parts

MarkP
08-06-2005, 01:22 PM
I just re read your post. Not sure what you mean about a flywheel cover. You may have a part missing. Can you offer some photos??

Cloaked
08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
How about some pics of the boat, in general please? Just make sure that the wheels and tires on the trailer are clean before you take the pics... ;) 8p :D

Thanks and welcome to the board.... There are several of us here that like the Old School make of the Skier 19 models.

6ballsisall
08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
76 please post some photos if you would. I wonder if we are all thinking different parts here. Your flywheel housing connects to your transmission so if you don't have that you don't have a bolted up transmission. Can you post some pics of the problem area?

Engine Nut
08-07-2005, 08:55 AM
The flywheel housing is not designed to be a sealed unit. you have to try to keep the water level from rising above the bottom of the flywheel housing.

Engine Nut