PDA

View Full Version : Cincy Relo Info Needed

Ryan
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I was part of a hefty lay off at the end of Oct and am evaluating a couple of offers. One in Cincy is my leading choice.

I'd love to get some info on the best suburbs centered around Blue Ash (office location) and info like pros/cons to Caesar Creek state park, East Fork, or other spots I'm not seeing. Any info would be much appreciated!

2RLAKE
11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
let me know when you are here and i will take you to SkyLine ... the best lunch in the city

Honestly, i haven't had a boat in Cincy for 19 years so i can't give good advise on that

For suburbs, it depends on what you are solving for ... kid schools, neighbor type, etc ... there are lots of great neighborhoods with exciting homes for sale

Ryan
11-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm looking for the best mix of good school district, city sports programs, homes 0-10yrs (maybe 20yrs). I've got 4 kids, between 7 mos and 8 y/o.

I did find a few new homes that have 4 car garages :) in Mason (3+1tandem, or 2+2 carriage)

willyt
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Ah, good to hear cincy filled my opening... I just moved from there. Caesar's isn't great, and the fork isn't much better. Have to catch them on weekdays to get any good water... They're also really dirty (search www.cincywake.com/forum)

The river is definitely your best bet for riding. Bill, Brent and Jason over at cincymc will take care of you if need anything, they're down in Florence, KY in a new shop.

As for living conditions... Check out Hyde park or Wyoming.

MattsCraft
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Ryan - ditto what Willy said, Ceasers, East Fork (sewer), pretty much forget about it to ski on the weekends unless it is before 10 am. Brookville in Indiana, not that far is the cleanest, but known as the ocean on the weekends. Best bet is the Ohio river, well east or west of the city or the secret spot, I can tell you about it, but then I have to shoot you. Seriously, if you end up here, shoot me a PM and I will show you the best spot in the city as long as you keep it under raps. (First rule about the "Secret Spot", don't talk about the "Secret Spot"), you get the picture. Of course Willy left, so I guess we have an opening.:rolleyes:

Blue Ash has some good burbs, Montgomery is very nice, WestChester is nice as well as Mason. Home prices will go down the further north, east or even west you go, or in Northern, KY. Just depends on how much of a commute you want. West siders, (Me) are a lot of home town folks, east and north are more transplants etc. I am born and raised here, if you need any help navigating the city, just ask:D

fstaslp
11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I grew up in Loveland on the NE side. It was a good town at the time. I also lived in Hyde Park and it was a great place to live, but it is city schools.

ntidsl
11-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Born and raised in Cincy...moved to NKY and I can ski day or night on smooth water...you goota know where to look...I grew up on the river and other than a stain that most think is a tan I'm mostly normal. Got a 8 year old boy who has been skiing since 3 years old...get a hold of me if you want...I have a weekend house on the river. I also know the guys who run Extreme watersports very well and a bunch of the UC water skiers who just got a hold of the new 197 TT this week.

ntidsl
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
According to your tag line...you are a skier...>32mph...If you ski courses let me know.

JBrew
11-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Grew up in West Chester/Mason area. My advice to you would be to look into homes in Liberty Township... Still West Chester area but you can get a large home at a lower price than WC/Mason and still be in the Lakota School district. If you need a Realtor let me know, my dad can help you out.

2RLAKE
11-17-2011, 03:10 AM
I grew up in Loveland on the NE side. It was a good town at the time. I also lived in Hyde Park and it was a great place to live, but it is city schools.

I live in Loveland and its a great place ... lots of variety from basic to super luxurious

As for schools, there are no better high schools than the GCL (you have to be from Cincinnati for this) ... my high school St X plays our arch rival Moeller this weekend in the football division 1 regionals ... go Bombers

cincyskier
11-17-2011, 08:14 AM
.... I also know the guys who run Extreme watersports very well and a bunch of the UC water skiers who just got a hold of the new 197 TT this week.

Small clarification....sorry I am a details kinda guy. The 2012 TT that you are referring to is not UC Waterski Team's. I am a graduate of UC (skied for the team for four years) and am now one of the coaches. Myself, along with another promo driver (fellow UC alum, skier and coach) help the team out by using our own boats to pull practice.

With that, I cant wait to get the 2012 TT in the water. Going to be a long winter.

Ben
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
once you settle in, make sure to check out the museums at Union Station (or whatever it's called). They have a great kids museum. We usually stop there one at least one direction of any trip we take south to the beach from MI. Kids almost cry every time when we need to leave.

fstaslp
11-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I live in Loveland and its a great place ... lots of variety from basic to super luxurious

As for schools, there are no better high schools than the GCL (you have to be from Cincinnati for this) ... my high school St X plays our arch rival Moeller this weekend in the football division 1 regionals ... go Bombers

I sent you a PM. Small World!

Do you know the Tansy's? They live in Loveland and have a place on Norris.

ntidsl
11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Small clarification....sorry I am a details kinda guy. The 2012 TT that you are referring to is not UC Waterski Team's. I am a graduate of UC (skied for the team for four years) and am now one of the coaches. Myself, along with another promo driver (fellow UC alum, skier and coach) help the team out by using our own boats to pull practice.

With that, I cant wait to get the 2012 TT in the water. Going to be a long winter.

I spoke with Pat and he said below:

Thanks. Actually going today to pick it up from the factory. It's for sale . After I graduated I joined Extreme where I am currently still a member. I also am one of the coaches for UC's Waterski Team, who will now be one of the most spoiled teams in the country. Two brand new boats to have for practices... 2012 MC and Malibu.

Seems UC has alot of coaches.

BTW..is Gar still coaching at all i never hear his name anymore.

contemplating an extreme membership this year as i have a junior in high school nephew wanting to compete in college and is thinking of UC's engineering school.

cincyskier
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I spoke with Pat and he said below:

Thanks. Actually going today to pick it up from the factory. It's for sale . After I graduated I joined Extreme where I am currently still a member. I also am one of the coaches for UC's Waterski Team, who will now be one of the most spoiled teams in the country. Two brand new boats to have for practices... 2012 MC and Malibu.

Seems UC has alot of coaches.

BTW..is Gar still coaching at all i never hear his name anymore.

contemplating an extreme membership this year as i have a junior in high school nephew wanting to compete in college and is thinking of UC's engineering school.

PM Sent.

Also.... Go Bombers!

2RLAKE
11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
amen ... go Bombers

stt
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Go Big Moe

Ryan
11-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the great input. We are going to start with Mason/WC and fan out from there. Due to a long Thxgvg trip to CA, we won't be out to look at homes until the 2nd wk of Dec. Low inventory is prevalent due to the seasonality of Midwest home sales. I would otherwise prefer to rent, but I am very incentified through my relo deal to buy. After losing a lot when we moved from CBus OH, I'm a little gun-shy.

Yes, I slalom more than anything. I was finally getting the hang of course skiing in CBus when we moved to Indy.

Ryan
01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Alright, we are in contract on our Indy home only 6 days after listing it. Now we're diving neck deep in home shopping. I thought I was set on Mason, but am now concerned the city is overpriced and at risk of dropping at the first sight of school levies failing. We're starting to expanding to Loveland and Anderson tomorrow, then another swing at Liberty on Wed. Anyone have other burbs on the east side you'd reco?

2RLAKE
01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
how's the home/neighborhood search going? Boat show is this weekend if you are looking for something to do

Ryan
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
We found a place in Loveland and move in on the 28th! I will enjoy the 18 min commute to work...but will sure miss the 7 min drive from my house in Indy to the lake there.

onewheat
01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Where in Loveland? It is a great part of town for schools and kids and family. I lived there for 10 years. Unfortunately, is isn't next to a good lake though.

Ryan
01-17-2012, 11:27 PM
how's the home/neighborhood search going? Boat show is this weekend if you are looking for something to do

I'll be back in Indy this weekend. I was just thinking it would be nice to have something to do one evening after work next week but see they're not open on Mon & Tues. Wed I'm back to Indy to guide the packing then right back here for the unload the following weekend. I might have to skip it this year, but thanks for the tip!

ntidsl
01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Ryan, If you are ever looking to get together to ski let me know. I ski on the river, down river from Cincy though so it would be a haul for you, almost an hour. The river is so nice where I ski. Few people venture down my way except for on sundays and even then you can ski until 11am. I ski 2 or 3 times a day Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays. I'm even thinking about a portable course for the summer back in an inlet. It has 2000 feet of 5 foot or more of water and totally protected from the wind.

Ryan
05-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Ryan, If you are ever looking to get together to ski let me know. I ski on the river, down river from Cincy though so it would be a haul for you, almost an hour. The river is so nice where I ski. Few people venture down my way except for on sundays and even then you can ski until 11am. I ski 2 or 3 times a day Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays. I'm even thinking about a portable course for the summer back in an inlet. It has 2000 feet of 5 foot or more of water and totally protected from the wind.

Are you talking about the Licking river? I just booked indoor storage for the season at East Fork again.

I keep thinking about joining Xtreme, but I hear it's more of a guys club and I love skiing with my wife and kids so much I worry it might not be a good fit. I'm going to head out there in a couple of weeks to talk to some more people. Well, unless I buy this bigger boat I've got my eye on, then the club is pretty much out.