PDA

View Full Version : Sticking 197 Steering

AussieMC
11-13-2011, 03:55 PM
G'day,
I've just started to notice my steering, sticking at either full lock, I've pulled the cable off at the rudder end, greased cable, rudder port and cable piviot point, and they seem free. It appears as though it may be in the rack. Any suggestions?

03 35th Anniversary
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
You need a new steering cable.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Sounds like the correct diagnosis.

AussieMC
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know what length cable to order?

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know what length cable to order?

The length will be stamped into the cable at the rudder end. Going by this will ensure you get the correct cable length.

AussieMC
11-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Can you narrow it down for me, I've look all over for a "stamped number", and as we'd say Down Under, "Im buggered íf I can find it.

Cloaked
11-15-2011, 05:03 AM
He's talking about at the rudder end of the cable. Likely you'll have to lift the floor panel to see it. It should be stamped onto the cable casing as 17', 18', etc. I have also seen the Teleflex cable co. stamp the ID and cable length at the steering end, as I just saw this on mine a few days ago when I was up under the dash looking for a wire. Small white print on the exteriror of the cable casing.

AussieMC
11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Found the number in the cable. It was about 2 1/2ft from the rudder end and was on the underside', of course (had to disconnect it and turn it to see it) Anyway for future reference the cable length is 19ft. Thanks for your help.

keith3613
11-16-2011, 07:59 AM
The same thing happened to me. It was the guide tube near the rudder. Rust and debris had collected there. I cleaned it out, painted it inside and outside. Now, the cable moves like new.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Found the number in the cable. It was about 2 1/2ft from the rudder end and was on the underside', of course (had to disconnect it and turn it to see it) Anyway for future reference the cable length is 19ft. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I wasn't more specific the first time......would have saved you some time and effort.

CantRepeat
11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
You might want to take a look at the rudder port as well. If you have a grease port on the side you'll want to grease it. If not you'll have to pull the rudder out to do so.

woodrowskis
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I also have a 197 and need to change the cable. I have been told by my dealer I need to confirm which cable length since two different l.engths were used that year (2002).
I guess to me it seems more logical, if they changed, it was for a reason and I should get the new length. Anyone have any more knowledge on the subject. Maybe the tube or something else has to change for the different cable.
By the way, having little success finding the number on my cable as well. And I have had it disconnected at the rudder so I could spin it.

Cloaked
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I also have a 197 and need to change the cable. I have been told by my dealer I need to confirm which cable length since two different l.engths were used that year (2002).
I guess to me it seems more logical, if they changed, it was for a reason and I should get the new length. Anyone have any more knowledge on the subject. Maybe the tube or something else has to change for the different cable.
By the way, having little success finding the number on my cable as well. And I have had it disconnected at the rudder so I could spin it.Look on each end of the cable. Typically, the length of the cable is stamped on one end or the other. Your mileage may vary....