PDA

View Full Version : quick muffler question baffle broken

pbgbottle
11-12-2011, 12:12 PM
hey guys i am working on an old 1988 tristar and when i pulled out the muffler i heard something sliding around inside it . the baffle has split in two and is sliding back and forth . what are my options ?
what was the baffles function ?
and where can i get a new one (muffler) ?
or what should i replace it with .
is there something better out there to use these days.
here is a pic of my muffler. is it original oem?

all suggestions greatly appreciated.

muffler had a sticker on it Fibersaust silencer

thatsmrmastercraft
11-12-2011, 12:26 PM
SKIDIM will have a muffler for you.

http://www.skidim.com/

Kyle
11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Personally I would look at Your local dealer or

Ebasicpower.com

I have purchased many things there and it was always a smooth transaction.

Kyle
11-12-2011, 02:01 PM
You could run straight pipe instead of mufflers.

pbgbottle
11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
O.K. theres an option . but what i am really curious about was what was the function of the baffle . to stop water from backing up into the engine .or was it to keep sound down to a minimum. by holding the water in the muffler .

how does the muffler actually function . and what did the baffle really do .

how loud will it be with straight pipes.

You could run straight pipe instead of mufflers.

pbgbottle
11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
what about if i just remove the broken bits and put the muffler back and continued using it .

or would this just be like having a straight pipe?

Kyle
11-13-2011, 12:32 PM
The flapper keeps water from running the wrong way. The baffle traps water to silent the exhaust rumble.

If you use the current muffler and get the broken piece out, that side will be louder than the other. Other than that there is no risk (unless your muffler leaks) running the muffler you have. Keep in mind that one side will bs louder than the other slightly.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 12:35 PM
The flapper keeps water from running the wrong way. The baffle traps water to silent the exhaust rumble.

If you use the current muffler and get the broken piece out, that side will be louder than the other. Other than that there is no risk (unless your muffler leaks) running the muffler you have. Keep in mind that one side will bs louder than the other slightly.

That imbalance would drive many of us OCD folks crazier than we were to start with.:rolleyes:

Kyle
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I run straight pipe on mine. Yes it's louder but not too loud. All I can say is try it and see. I used schedule 40 PVC pipe. I got it from an irrigation supply house to get the right size pipe. I also used a 45* angle piece to make the exact replica of the muffler size so I didn't have to buy hose.

Kyle
11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
That imbalance would drive many of us OCD folks crazier than we were to start with.:rolleyes:

Yes you are correct!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
If you cut the old one apart to determine the baffles shape and placement, you could probably reproduce the muffler out of the schedule 40.

pbgbottle
11-14-2011, 12:48 AM
thanks guys i will open up the muffler ,if i can't fix the baffle i will
if not i will run without it ,i am too cheap to by a new muffler ...8p

:(:rolleyes:

pbgbottle
11-14-2011, 12:51 AM
hey thatsmrmastercraft

i am in need of tires in the 37-39 inch range but they must fit a 15x10 inch wheel .

let me know

Appling77
07-11-2012, 04:09 AM
So if I have 2 hoses running from the engine to the back of the boat does that mean that it's just straight exhaust?