PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

P Mishan
11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
what is the easiest way to get to the impeller out on the raw water pump, 2004 X star if anyone has any pics please

GoneBoatN
11-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I made a tool to assist with pulling the impeller. See http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It cost only a few dollars to do so. Take the three screws off the cover and remove it and the gasket. To make it easier to pull the impeller, squart some lubricant (like disk soap) into the pump housing around the impeller and bump the starter to spin the impeller a bit. When I do this, the impeller comes out just a bit making it easy to get behind it with the curved portion of the paint can openers. Others have said to simply grab it with some needle nose pliers and yank.

BlackMV8
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
WD40 and a pair of pliars if your replacing the inpellar.

Jorski
11-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Two stubby flat head screw drivers...takes about 30 seconds.

Lumbergh
11-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I find this informative.

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

sp00ky
11-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I just used 2 paint can openers

coz
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I made a tool to assist with pulling the impeller. See http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It cost only a few dollars to do so. Take the three screws off the cover and remove it and the gasket. To make it easier to pull the impeller, spay some lubricant (like WD40) into the pump housing around the impeller and bump the starter to spin the impeller a bit. When I do this, the impeller comes out just a bit making it easy to get behind it with the curved portion of the paint can openers. Others have said to simply grab it with some needle nose pliers and yank.

Every time an impeller thread pops up everyone's always recommending WD-40.......Says right on the box...DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED LUBRICANT. Use glycerin or dish soap is my recommendation and the manufacturers. :D

CantRepeat
11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Every time an impeller thread pops up everyone's always recommending WD-40.......Says right on the box...DO NOT USE PETROLEUM BASED LUBRICANT. Use glycerin or dish soap is my recommendation and the manufacturers. :D

For the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the WD40 you are NOT going to damage it. Moreover, if you are not going to reinstall it the old impeller it makes no difference at all. If you are summerizing you are going to run water through the motor after you install it so it's going to wash away the WD40 with your warm up.

mikeg205
11-10-2011, 05:42 PM
303 keeps it in great shape over the winter.

CantRepeat
11-10-2011, 08:33 PM
303 keeps it in great shape over the winter.

I hope you are not leaving you impeller in the pump over the winter. :confused:

mikeg205
11-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I hope you are not leaving you impeller in the pump over the winter. :confused:

lol...no...in a baggy...taped to the steering wheel so I don't forget to put it back...

GoneBoatN
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM

For the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the WD40 you are NOT going to damage it. Moreover, if you are not going to reinstall it the old impeller it makes no difference at all. If you are summerizing you are going to run water through the motor after you install it so it's going to wash away the WD40 with your warm up.

Actually, I wash the impeller after I get it out to get the WD40 off - using dish soap. I also wipe the WD40 out of the pump housing. It then becomes my spare, the prior year's spare goes in the trash and I install a new one when I summerize. This is just how I do it. I don't mean to start the great debate on how long to use an impeller between replacments. ;) As it is just my spare, I store it dry - just the way it arrived when I purchased it. :rolleyes: I do use the glycerin that comes with the new one when I install it to prevent a "dry start" as recommended on the packaging.

coz
11-11-2011, 05:56 AM

First off, WD stands for "water displacement" so it doesn't just wash away and the impeller shaft seal is made out of the same stuff the impeller is made of and it's not good to get wd on that unless you're replacing that too. I guess it all come down to.....you do it your way and I'll do it the manufacturer's way :D

CantRepeat
11-11-2011, 06:38 AM
First off, WD stands for "water displacement" so it doesn't just wash away and the impeller shaft seal is made out of the same stuff the impeller is made of and it's not good to get wd on that unless you're replacing that too. I guess it all come down to.....you do it your way and I'll do it the manufacturer's way :D

Right on.

The petroleum and rubber debate will go on and on. It's not like you're worried about your sperm swimming through microscopic holes here.

How much water will it displace? The entire lake? 8p

And you are either up way to early or out way to late!!

coz
11-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Right on.

The petroleum and rubber debate will go on and on. It's not like you're worried about your sperm swimming through microscopic holes here.

How much water will it displace? The entire lake? 8p

And you are either up way to early or out way to late!!

Up early brutha.....haven't done the out way to late in many many years. I like your sperm in the microscopic hole explanation....now I get it :D :D

GoneBoatN
11-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Good point on the shaft seal. WD40 was handy because of the tube & spray allowing me to get it directly into the impeller housing. I'll need to figure out how to get the dish soap or glycerin easily into the housing. Perhaps I'll find some small spray bottle... The impeller tends to be a bugger to get out without some lubrication. I have a v-drive and there is not much room between the engine and the transom so getting a grip on the impeller is a challenge.

GoneBoatN
11-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Fixed my original post to say "squart some lubricant (like disk soap)" instead of referencing WD-40. Just in case someone reads it and goes no further.

coz
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Good point on the shaft seal. WD40 was handy because of the tube & spray allowing me to get it directly into the impeller housing. I'll need to figure out how to get the dish soap or glycerin easily into the housing. Perhaps I'll find some small spray bottle... The impeller tends to be a bugger to get out without some lubrication. I have a v-drive and there is not much room between the engine and the transom so getting a grip on the impeller is a challenge.

You v-guys got it tough on the impeller change out, and honestly I'd use whatever needed to get it out under certain circumstances, wd, binding lube, vaseline....whatever :D

CantRepeat
11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Remember also, with whatever lube you use, after you do lube up the impeller to pull your kill switch and turn the motor over for a couple of seconds.

coz
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Remember also, with whatever lube you use, after you do lube up the impeller to pull your kill switch and turn the motor over for a couple of seconds.

How about one of these filled with dish soap to get into those tight spots....these actually might even be good for us front loaders as well :twocents:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/plasticware/images/wash_bottles.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
11-12-2011, 12:19 PM
How about one of these filled with dish soap to get into those tight spots....these actually might even be good for us front loaders as well :twocents:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/plasticware/images/wash_bottles.jpg

Not a bad idea.