PDA

View Full Version : 08 trailer bearings

obsessed
11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi, Im going to pickup my new mastercraft x2 tomorrow. I have to tow it back on a 600 mile trip. I want to change the bearings on the trailer before I do that, as theyve never been changed before.
Can anyone tell me what size bearings are used? I would like to buy them before I go.

Thrall
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Why?
Are the oil baths filled with water or something? 30,000mi on the trailer?
Unless there's a noticeable problem, no need to change the bearings. They last a long time.
If you're really worried about it, change out the oil, but no need to change bearings unless there's something you didn't mention in your post.

obsessed
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Oil seems fine, not milky.
Mastercraft manual recommends to check bearings every year. This trailer has not been towed anywhere, only kept at a marina and taken a few meters to the boat ramp every day.
Ive had a bad experience with bearings burning up, ofcourse that trailer didnt have an oil bath and I understand these are much more reliable. But its a long 600 mile trip and I dont want anything to go wrong as I wont have anywhere to get it fixed if it does.
Your feedback does make me feel less worried, but id rather prepare for the worst to be honest.

Sodar
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
There is really no reason to change bearings in the oil bath hubs, unless a) there has been water intrusion (milky oil) or b) there is no oil and the bearings have gotten hot or rusted inside the hubs.

If you are very concerned, you could pull the hubs off and inspect the bearings AND seals. In oil bath hubs, the seals are the weak link... not the bearings. Before reinstalling the hubs, be sure to coat the seal with some oil before sliding it over the axle. This will help avoid the seal from tearing or deforming while sliding it on.

On your 600 mile journey, keep your eyes on the seals and watch for any oil escaping out. No oil= no lubrication. Also, try to eliminate braking for long, long periods (ie. down slopes). I always try to brake hard, accelerate to disengage the brakes and then coast down the hill. Repeat as necessary.

Thrall
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Good advice from Sodar regarding the use of surge brakes. Make sure you do this on downhill runs to keep the brakes from dragging.
To ease your mind, my PS190 trailer (grease hubs). Had at least 25k mi on it probably more and I never even took the hubs apart (not reccomended). Kept them well greased thru the bearing buddy. Even had a couple questionable rear seals. Last time I saw the trailer, the new owner pulled out of the drive for a 500mi trip and made it home safely.
Your bearings are new.
My 06 had water intrusion in one hub, milky oil, I noticed when the PO completed his 500mi trip to deliver it to me. I fixed the leak (cracked plastic cap), changed the oil in all the wheels and that was several thousand miles ago, last big trip being 1200mi in the middle of summer. Bearing was/is fine.
Note on the brakes. Take some time to disassemble them when you get home and anti-seize the caliper slides and the lugnuts on the wheels. My 06 came from a very dry climate, was rarely even dunked in the water and the lugnuts were almost froze on from rust and the calipers weren't floating like they should, wearing down the inside pad, from being rusty.
Hook up your trailer and enjoy the view in your rearviw mirror!

sand2snow22
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
From the middle east. Not sure if he/she even has a MC trailer? OP, can you post a picture of the trailer?

obsessed
11-09-2011, 03:09 AM
It is a mastercraft trailer, however it's not in the best shape. Saltwater does terrible things to these boats and their trailers. the Brakes don't work at all. I assume they were disabled and now have rusted, trailer brakes are not a legal requirement on our roads and I have a big enough rig to control it so I'm not worried.
I'm only worried about the trailer failing and getting stranded in the Saudi desert.
I will plan to check bearings and replace oil before starting the trip, and try to make sure the brakes are disabled. That should help make the trip more comfortable for me.

http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/MCX2/IMG_0616.JPG
http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/MCX2/IMG_0617.JPG
http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/MCX2/IMG_0613.JPG

obsessed
11-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Didnt realize there were subforums within general maintenance. Thanks for moving.

Heres one more pic of the wheel.

http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/MCX2/IMG_0637.JPG

ntidsl
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Well Reliable would love a copy of that pic...seems the trailer is trashed but those hubs and bearings look great!!!