PDA

View Full Version : 2005 X2 surf wake

shady
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I have just gotten a used 05 x2. My family has loved the boat the couple times we have gotten out on it before the end of the season. The only problem we are having is dialing in a good surf wake.

We have stock ballast which I'm not even sure how much that is. We fill the center tank, and what ever side we are surfing on all the way. The speeds we've tried vary between 8-12. The sweet spot is tiny and the wake never seems to clean up.

In the future I do plan to remove the hard tanks and put in flyhigh 750s. Is there any other places the ballast would need to be upgraded for a better surf wake? BTW I would like to avoid the IBS system in the bow because we need the storage unless some bow weight is absolutely necessary in this boat.

For now though, does anybody have any good wakesurf setups on the stock ballast for this boat and what speed are you at?

sand2snow22
11-08-2011, 12:59 AM
You need more weight. In my experience, weight in the front tends flatten the surf wake (unless you have a ton of weight in the boat). Try this. KGB full, and the full hard tank on the side you are surfing plus a 400 lb fat sac in the same rear compartment. This will be aprx. 650 lbs in the rear corner and enough to throw a killer wake! I can surf this wake all day with only 2 people in the boat. Try speeds 9.4-10.5. Verify with a GPS! 9.8-10.2 MPH has always been the best for me. 10.2 if you have a lot of people/weight in the boat.

The wake on the port side will always be cleaner b/c of the prop rotation. If you have people in the boat, put them on the same side of the boat. Nobody in the center or on the WRONG side of the boat. If you have too many people throw them on the same side floor or in the bow!

The surf wave is very respectable. It's not the biggest, but it has a lot of push! I like it better than other MC's in the lineup. If you can't surf it, it's an ability and/or equipment problem :)

peettee79
11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Slamm the bajevis out of it, the x2s can chuck a sweeet but sensative wave ! Enjoy

X-1Texas
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
(Boat '07 X1) This was taken two weekends ago with just my girlfriend in the boat driving. I removed the hard tanks and plumbed in 400's in the rear lockers and put a 370 sac in the ski locker. Since my 370 sac is not plumbed in and we didn't have any other people with us I threw it on the seat on the port side. Cruise set at 9.8. I can surf as long as I want like this, the only thing that stops me is when I start playing around and get too far back on the wake or attempting a 360.

This winter I'm thinking about bumping up the to the 750's and putting side sacs under the front seats. I have a new Jabsco pump to plumb in the center sac and the front sacs. I was thinking of using side sacs up front so I can fill them up individually. Weight in the bow really improves the starboard surf wake for us. Starboard side we go a little faster also.

Removing the hard tanks in the back opens up tons more storage when the bags are empty. Get some 1" hose and pull the 3/4" hose barbs off pumps to speed up the flow. I also polished the area on the pumps where the impeller spins, not sure how much it helps (figured it couldn't hurt).

shady
11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
You need more weight. In my experience, weight in the front tends flatten the surf wake (unless you have a ton of weight in the boat). Try this. KGB full, and the full hard tank on the side you are surfing plus a 400 lb fat sac in the same rear compartment. This will be aprx. 650 lbs in the rear corner and enough to throw a killer wake! I can surf this wake all day with only 2 people in the boat. Try speeds 9.4-10.5. Verify with a GPS! 9.8-10.2 MPH has always been the best for me. 10.2 if you have a lot of people/weight in the boat.

The wake on the port side will always be cleaner b/c of the prop rotation. If you have people in the boat, put them on the same side of the boat. Nobody in the center or on the WRONG side of the boat. If you have too many people throw them on the same side floor or in the bow!

The surf wave is very respectable. It's not the biggest, but it has a lot of push! I like it better than other MC's in the lineup. If you can't surf it, it's an ability and/or equipment problem :)

Thanks for the reply! So just to clarify the KGB is the ski locker ballast right? Also there is nothing needed besides bigger ballast in the rear corner for a quality wake? And since I surf goofy footed, have you been able to get a clean wake on both sides with this setup?

shady
11-08-2011, 06:10 PM
(Boat '07 X1) This was taken two weekends ago with just my girlfriend in the boat driving. I removed the hard tanks and plumbed in 400's in the rear lockers and put a 370 sac in the ski locker. Since my 370 sac is not plumbed in and we didn't have any other people with us I threw it on the seat on the port side. Cruise set at 9.8. I can surf as long as I want like this, the only thing that stops me is when I start playing around and get too far back on the wake or attempting a 360.

This winter I'm thinking about bumping up the to the 750's and putting side sacs under the front seats. I have a new Jabsco pump to plumb in the center sac and the front sacs. I was thinking of using side sacs up front so I can fill them up individually. Weight in the bow really improves the starboard surf wake for us. Starboard side we go a little faster also.

Removing the hard tanks in the back opens up tons more storage when the bags are empty. Get some 1" hose and pull the 3/4" hose barbs off pumps to speed up the flow. I also polished the area on the pumps where the impeller spins, not sure how much it helps (figured it couldn't hurt).

I'm not completely sure, but I thought the 06+ X1s have a different surf wake then the 05 X2? Either way thanks for the reply. I've heard you get almost double the storage space when you replace the hard tanks with 750s. I definitely plan on doing this by next summer, just making sure there is nothing else needed for a getting a great surf wake out of this boat.

sand2snow22
11-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the reply! So just to clarify the KGB is the ski locker ballast right? Also there is nothing needed besides bigger ballast in the rear corner for a quality wake? And since I surf goofy footed, have you been able to get a clean wake on both sides with this setup?

Yes and yes. A little harder to fit people on the starboard side. No seats!

X-1Texas
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not completely sure, but I thought the 06+ X1s have a different surf wake then the 05 X2? Either way thanks for the reply. I've heard you get almost double the storage space when you replace the hard tanks with 750s. I definitely plan on doing this by next summer, just making sure there is nothing else needed for a getting a great surf wake out of this boat.

05 X2 is a 205V hull just like 06+ X1 so I would think they would have the same surf wake. Boats are pretty much the same.

More weight than the stock tanks and playing around with the speed will get you a good surf wake. On the Starboard side having weight up front definitely helps clean up the wake and we usually speed up to about 10.4. I have some pics of the starboard surf wake with one person in the bow and one person sitting behind the driver.

When I bought my 400's I used a 20% off coupon code for Overton's. I plan to do the same when I upgrade to 750's and get the side sacs for the front.