PDA

View Full Version : Broken Alterator Bolt

prostar205
11-06-2011, 10:34 PM
As I was performing my routine winterization today, I noticed 1 of the 2 bolts used to hold the alternator to the engine had broken off. Just my luck its the one that is threaded into the bracket - not the one that is thru bolts with a nut on the other side.

Any idead on how to get the broken portion out so I can put a new stronger bolt in its place?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cdstukey
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Can you get at it with an easy out extractor? Of course it might not back it out if it is seized. Hit it with some penetrating oil first.

Lumbergh
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Got any pics?

+1 on EZ-Out comes to mind. Picture might help.

prostar205
11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
There's very little room in the engine compartment. I have an L-18 jammed into a X-30. Great motor but man there's not alot of room in there. Someone's going to have to drill a hole with a right angle drill, then get an easy out in there and hope it will come out without damaging any of the threaeds.

Sorry, no pictures yet. You probably couldn't see anything anyway because its so tight in there.

Kyle
11-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Pics will help. How much is broken off in the head or block. Include a pic of the block side and what's left of the broken bolt head.

prostar205
11-07-2011, 12:31 AM
From what I can tell, about 3/8" is inside the cast alternator bracket and it's barried "inside" the bracket. This is not going to be fun.

curtish
11-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I have had to drill broken bolts out in some tight spots before. If you use a dremel with the flexible extension, it will make drilling the pilot hole so much easier. I had someone work the speed on the dremel so I could work the extension.

gweaver
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
I had a similar problem recently. Granted, it's on a direct drive engine, but same broken bolt issue. Soaked it with liquid wrench for 2 days, then used a left-hand drill bit to drill out the center. Only had to drill in about 1/4" before the broken bolt started to back out on it's own. Got it out, cleaned the threads with a tap and put a new bolt in with anti-seize.
I did some searching and left-hand bits aren't too expensive. I got lucky and was able to borrow a set from a friend.
Greg

timvan
11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
As I was performing my routine winterization today, I noticed 1 of the 2 bolts used to hold the alternator to the engine had broken off. Just my luck its the one that is threaded into the bracket - not the one that is thru bolts with a nut on the other side.

Any idead on how to get the broken portion out so I can put a new stronger bolt in its place?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You could always weld a smaller ss bolt to the broken one in the bracket and back it out

psychobilly
11-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I had the same thing happen to mine. Look back in some of my old post and you will see where mine broke at the bracket too. The lower bolt had been broken for a while and the stress on the bracket finally broke it. The lower bolt broke off in the block about 1/8" inside. Here's what I did....

1 Center punch the bolt DEAD center
2 Find a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole, don't let it walk and don't get in a hurry. CAUTION do not break the bit off in the bolt!!!
3 Find an easy out for the bolt size.
4 Find a drill bit that will allow your easy out to get inside. You don't want to jack you threads up in your block so don't go too big.
5 PB blaser ir some good stuff for getting rusty crap out....
6 Tap your easy out in and slowly try to work it and again, DON'T break the easy out off in there or your screwed.

Now reading your post it sounds like you have some of the bolt still outside of the block in the Altenator??? If so, I would remove the altenator so I could get to the bolt sticking out. If there's enough sticking out you can get a small 8" or 10" stilson (Monkey Wrench) and it will do the job.

Good luck, hope this helps, and post some pics. TAKE YOUR TIME!!! ;)

prostar205
11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know if the bracket that the alternator is mounted to will come off the engine (L-18)? I'm going to remove the alternator (fairly simple) and my thought was to remove the alternator bracket and have our machine shop at work remove the broken bolt.

prostar205
11-15-2011, 02:44 AM
I took the alternator out of the boat over the weekend and removed the alternator bracket (3 socket head bolts). The bracket is now at work in our machine shop getting the broken bolt drilled out and the threaded cleaned up.

One thing I noticed when I removed teh alternator was that the upper bolt that holds the alternator to the bracket is considerably smaller in diameter than the hole in the alternator bracket. Is this so the alternator can float alittle?

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

psychobilly
11-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Glad to see you're move'n forward bud... Mine is old and it had two bolts through the alt into the block, sounds a bit different that your deal.

Pics are always good too fer the next feller this happens to. :-)