PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter crushed / can't remove

prostar205
11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone -

I need some suggestions on how to get the oil filter off the engine after crushing the case with a cheap oil filter wrench. I think the only thing left to do is ram a screw driver into it and try to rotate it off with that. This happened today as I was changing the oil for winterization.

BTW - this is on a L18 with very little room to work around.

Thanks for your help.

carlsonwa
11-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I had to do the screw driver method as well. I think when the dealership did mine last year they forgot to pre-oil the gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumbergh
11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
+1, probably screwdriver method.

I have found over the years that I prefer a proper fitting cap wrench for oil filters. Clearance sounds like it may be an issue for you.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
i have an L18 and soon realized that i would benefit from adding a oil filter relocator kit that moves the filter to up high using rubber hoses. talk to your dealer. best modification i ever made. it now sits right on top of the engine.

Teason
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
You might try a strap type wrench--nylon seatbelt material that fits on a 1/2 in. drive ratchet. Can't remember where I got mine, but craftsman makes one, I think. Or go with the screwdriver. But, be careful--if that thing's really on there you could end up just mangling the filter further.

Teason
11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
This is the type--saved me lots of times: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SR4O0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

prostar205
11-06-2011, 11:05 PM
The big problem is the tranny cooler (heat exchanger) is in the way. I'll try the screw driver trick.

vision
11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Strap type or regular metal strap wrapped with the non-stick stuff used under kitchen drawers.

Kyle
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Take a piece of rubber or a piece of bicycle tube and wrap the filter and then use the filter wrench. Try tightening before loosening the filter. Should come off easier.

Kyle
11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I have used the ram the screw driver through method before. It makes a huge mess and leaves a sharp edge on the filter possibly cutting you. Be careful.

wakescene
11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Just another reason I am happy I do my own maintenance. I winterized yesterday and I unscrewed my filter by hand. It was tight and I do have some room down there, but testament to pre oiling the gasket and neat and tidy clean every oil change. I have severe trust issues with dealers and service people from stories like this.

JimN
11-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately, some people think tightening an oil filter is an even in a contest. Wear gloves, loosen the bolt for the oil cooler and move it before removing the oil filter. Use a large Channel Lock pliers if needed.

jafo9
11-07-2011, 08:30 AM
absolute worst case scenario, i've had a buddy use a dremel with a flexible bit to cut the metal ring just behind the big o-ring. obviously if you cut too far this could be disastrous. he had tried all the above tricks and basically had only a nub of the filter left.

ahhudgins
11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
The big problem is the tranny cooler (heat exchanger) is in the way. I'll try the screw driver trick.

I had to remove my cooler the first time I changed the filter in my 200VRS after I purchased it used from a dealer. If you get it off using the screwdriver method do a few things next time.

1. Lightly tube the gasket on the new filter.
2. Snug the new filter using hand pressure.

I can remove my old filter now just using my hand. And yes, I use the Fram filter with the rubber grip on the bottom.:D

JimN
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
The recommended tightness is 3/4 of a turn after the rubber ring makes contact.

I had a guy come in with a Malibu- said he needed an oil change and oh, BTW, his son tried to remove the old filter and shredded it. I asked how long since the oil was changed and he said it had been three years. DOH! The problem with that boat was, the mating surface was about 3" below the floor and there was almost no space to get my hands in to work with tools. I tried all of my tools and couldn't get the filter out. I gave up for that day and the next morning, while I was doing another oil change, I looked at the filter and that little bell went off- I stuck the tips of my shortest needle-nose pliers in the holes of the base plate, grabbed both with my largest Channel Locks and turned the pliers. Came right out.

-V-
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
best way i found was the turniquet style.

Grab a rag or towel, wrap it around the filter, cross the ends, put a screwdriver in the middle, cross the ends again, then start spinning the screwdriver around forcing the towel to get tighter on th filter, once its tight enough start to spin it, if the towel moves but not your filter then tighten up the towel some more by giving it a couple more turns. just my 2 cents.

ttu
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
i had the same problem after dealer changed my oil. i purchased one of these from sears and it has worked great numerous times.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02820523000P?prdNo=1

Kyle
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Another idea is to take a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer and kinda tap it off. Put the screwdriver on the lip of the filter nearest the mating surface of the block and hit the screwdriver with the hammer. Chisel it off in the unscrew rotation until it moves a little, then use a filter wrench to finish your job.

Sodar
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
My oil filter from the factory was on soooooooooo &^%*ing tight it was ridiculous!!! First try was a snap-on filter wrench. Second was the ole' screw driver through the filter. Third was a cold chisel and a hammer and the final was special made tool that went into the holes of the filter and that did the trick.

There is a thread about the debacle somewhere. I think I still have scars to this day.

Sodar
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Home tool looked like this....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=22613&stc=1&d=1180614644

Thrall
11-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Try large channel locks right up by the neck of the filter if you can get to it......or one of the other more desctructive methods listed above if necessary.

-V-, I'll remember the the tourniqet method, never heard of that before.

JohnE
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
The filter from the factory on my 09 was nearly impossible to remove. To the point that the strap type filter wrench crushed it and it still didn't twist loose. The screwdriver through the side got it done.

prostar205
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Another issue I have is that bottom half of the filter is CRUSHED so a standard oil filter wrench will not work.

craig3972
11-07-2011, 05:10 PM
i have an L18 and soon realized that i would benefit from adding a oil filter relocator kit that moves the filter to up high using rubber hoses. talk to your dealer. best modification i ever made. it now sits right on top of the engine.

do you by chance have a photo of your engine top mounted oil filter?

prostar205
11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
do you by chance have a photo of your engine top mounted oil filter?

I'd like to see that too...

Jerseydave
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
MAC tools and Snap-on make oil filter pliers that are curved and have teeth to grip the filter. Much better than a regular oil filter wrench and better than channel lock pliers too.

sp00ky
11-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Just another reason I am happy I do my own maintenance. I winterized yesterday and I unscrewed my filter by hand. It was tight and I do have some room down there, but testament to pre oiling the gasket and neat and tidy clean every oil change. I have severe trust issues with dealers and service people from stories like this.

I second that and is the main reason I do all my own oil changes and brake work.

-V-
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
i vote for a pic as well.........

kjohnson
11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I have used the ram the screw driver through method before. It makes a huge mess and leaves a sharp edge on the filter possibly cutting you. Be careful.

A leather belt wrapped around the filter worked for me one time.

prostar205
11-15-2011, 02:41 AM
The filter came off using a pair Craftsman oil filter pliers. It still took about 15 minutes of getting them in the correct position to grab onto the crushed filter. Next time I'm not going to tighten it up tht much.