PDA

View Full Version : Trans seal help please

liledgy
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I just replaced front trans seal on a 84 1:1 Borg warner. I was reinstalling the trans to the spline from the motor. I rotated the coupler end of trans to align the front of trans and it didn't move. My question is, should it? I kinda remember when taking the cover off the front of trans to remember the direction of the arrow on the cover. I put the cover on the same way but not sure if it was in the same position, 3 o clock or 6 o clock. Does that matter?
I originally had the arrow at 12 o clock but I had to tap on the cover to get it loose and I think it changed it's original position. Not sure if it matters. Thanks for the help.

Kyle
11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
The front pump can be bolted on 180* off and make the fluid flow the opposite way. This is how nautiques turn the other way.

Basically forward will be reverse and reverse will be forward.

Put it back together exactly how it came apart and align the splines and put the trans back into the boat and roll with it.

liledgy
11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
So, if my trans turns in the opposite direction, I will have to remove trans, remove cover and turn it 180 degrees?

Kyle
11-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes that is correct.

Wait a few days and I can take a pic and post how your front pump should be installed. I have a buddies trans out soopin up his engine. I'll take a pic and post it here so you don't have to risk removing the trans a second time. Wednesday will be the day I take pics.

liledgy
11-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Thank you for the replys! I put the cover back on The way it came off. When I pulled it off I saw that small outer gear was resting on the shaft of trans. I lost my train of thought a bit when I saw that. On my damper plate, the springs had covers riveted over them so I couldn't see if they were broken or loose, but it never made any noises either. No cracks that I could see. If I have time before Weds, I will start it in the driveway and put it in gear. I havnt reattatched the shaft yet. Thanks again. Tim

Kyle
11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I got a pic early if you care to see pump location.

The tab where I'm pointing will help you if yours is accidentally installed incorrectly.

Hope this helps if needed.

liledgy
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks again Kyle. Mine looks very similar, I also have an arrow on the cover.
I was able to find time today to run it in the driveway. It was turning CC, and no leaks that I could see. I let it run for 15 minutes. Tomorrow I'll work on the alignment. It's very close already as I only loosened the front trunnions. On the back, I removed the 4 3/8 bolts (2 on each side) that the trunnion assembly, adjustment bolts/ isolaters etc sit in next to the stringer. This may not be the correct way but I thought my alignment may not change ( or just minor adjustments) after lowering motor/trans back down.