PDA

View Full Version : Preventing mice from nesting in my boat!

yippikaiyay
11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I had my boat sitting on the trailer in the driveway for about a week, prior to winterizing. And in such a short time, some critters, (mice or chipmunks) were well on their way on creating a cozy nest in the bow area, under the deck, right up and under the bow light.
So, I'm interested to hear of others who have success preventing this.
I've used traps in my house before, and have heard of using anti-freeze, moth balls, dryer sheets.......what works best?

mikeg205
11-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I use moth balls in empty flat trays. Layup up a bunch of gear in northwest ontario for over 43 weeks...not critters and the moth balls seem to last the 43 weeks...used to just dump the moth balls but it took weeks for the smell to go away...putting it in the trays keeps the smell out of the carpeting...

CottagerGreg
11-06-2011, 07:52 PM
good idea with the moth balls

Brian B
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Remove your transom straps. That is the only way that I can see a rodent climbing into the boat from the trailer.

SPSinclair 190
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Dryer sheets and they smell good ! Have a camper and for 2 yers no mice or rodents at all and I live in the country !!

03 35th Anniversary
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Put a grass snake in there!

sleeporbutter
11-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I use the dryer sheets also, and haven't had any nesters. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep them out of the air cleaner box in my car!

DemolitionMan
11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Buy a cat.;)

Thrall
12-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Buy a cat.;)

Buy? Heck they're free at the pound, well maybe $50 for shots. I don't like cats, but after moving up here and, in a house that sat vacant for less than a year, having to get the crawl space remeidated from Norway rat infestation, mouse and rat sh!t in all the outbuildings, little mouse activity inside the house as well, a cat has been great.
Got a kitten this summer before the rodents came out of the woods, kept him inside for several months so he was good and friendly and knew where "home" was. Now he goes out in the mornings with the dogs, roams the property pretty much all day, attached garage at night, comes in the house selectively. Gets tossed down into the crawl space a couple times a week, so that his "presence" is known if any more buroowing rats try to show up. It's great. Haven't had a trap set off or any mouse bait eaten in months and no droppings anywhere.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
For the most part I hate cats. I have nothing against dryer sheets, and they haven't failed me yet.

-V-
12-20-2011, 10:29 PM
what if..........worse case scenerio........rodents eat up your upholstery..........doesn't insurance cover it?

mikeg205
12-20-2011, 10:33 PM
read policy and ask agent.

sp00ky
12-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Good old fashioned mousetraps are the best bet

CantRepeat
12-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Good old fashioned mousetraps are the best bet

I've used the ones that are like glue boards and put a dab of peanut butter in the center of them. Never had an issue with mice in the boat but they do get into my workshop.

mwg
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Most insurance policy do not cover rodent infestation... not boat related but recently at work I had racoons tear up $140K worth of insulation in an attic of one of the buildings I am responsible for. Our Insurance/Risk Management Agent denied the claim entirely. Reminds my of an Allstate commercial.

jamisonsbrodie
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Dryer sheets is all I have used for 15+ years, and no rodents yet.

BrooksfamX2
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I use dryer sheets and sticky traps in the motorhome, works well, poison outside/under the motor home.

Put the bait, poison and traps outside/under the boat so they dont have to get in the boat to get it.

jrbishop4
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I use dryer sheets every year and have never had a problem and it is stored in a barn out in the country.

I had a buddy that had a raccoon get in his boat and the raccoon tore up every seat in the boat and insurance covered everything. I checked my policy and it didn't cover anything like that so I have changed mine so just by chance that would happen to me I am covered.

oldairboater
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
That's why I don't kill snakes unless they are poisonous and around the house. Rat snakes can make say bad words but they are on patrol silently all the time.

kjohnson
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Both pests hate fresh cut mint. If you can find it or grow it, it will do the job.

mikeg205
01-11-2012, 06:40 PM
moth balls in small containers... have boats stored in canada for 9 months...mouse crap everywhere but in boats and other protected areas... moth balls in cans keeps the smell out of upholstery when you refit... the balls seem to last longer than dryer sheets - IMO

Brian B
01-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that the ONLY way a mice has to get into your boat is by way of transom straps or cover straps?

wheelerd
01-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question . . . but how is your boat covered in storage? How do the pesky vermin get in the boat? When my cover is cinched down it is tight as a drum around the gunwales. I couldn't slide a dollar bill through if I tried. I've stored my boat and my travel trailer side by side and have had mice in the trailer but not the boat.

MattsCraft
01-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question . . . but how is your boat covered in storage? How do the pesky vermin get in the boat? When my cover is cinched down it is tight as a drum around the gunwales. I couldn't slide a dollar bill through if I tried. I've stored my boat and my travel trailer side by side and have had mice in the trailer but not the boat.

I agree with you on this one, with the MC cover with the ratchet straps, not sure how they could get in. Personally, hate the smell of moth balls and would never put them in my boat. I had mice in my shed and put one of those plug in varmint clicker things and have not seen any evidence of mice in the shed since. It's 110 V, so you would need a power inverter though.

madman
01-18-2012, 09:02 AM
put catnip in boat and rodents will not go near it. Plus it smells nice (mint works well too)

Barefooter92
01-26-2012, 07:25 AM
put catnip in boat and rodents will not go near it. Plus it smells nice (mint works well too)

Works great on mice, but attracts those damn cats by the dozens!:D

PA Prostar
01-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that the ONLY way a mice has to get into your boat is by way of transom straps or cover straps?

I don't think so. In fact, I was having this conversation with someone the other day. I've winterized in a garage for 5 years and don't have any transom or cover straps. I've had plenty of mice in traps on the ground, but I've never had ANY evidence of them in the boat. I couldn't even begin to think how they could get in, if you don't give them something to climb up.

etduc
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
You try one of these.

JohnE
01-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I've heard that mothballs will keep them away...then heard that mothballs fumes are toxic and you should never use them. (I did spread them around my attic on several occasions)

I've heard from numerous posts that the dryer sheets work well.

The mint is relatively new, but I have heard that works as well.

It really shouldn't be so difficult to prevent, we must not be all that smart.