PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ilmor Thermostat Removal

BCarnathan
11-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I was fortunate to be able to upgrade to a 19-year-newer boat this year - a 2011 ProStar 197 TT. This of course means re-learning how to winterize the boat. I think I have most of the process down, but ... I can't figure out how to get the thermostat out of the boat to allow RV antifreeze into the block.

The manual says to pump the AF with the thermostat removed - or to pour the AF down the hoses. Problem is that - the hoses are permanently clamped onto the thermostat housing, soI can't see how pouring could work. That leaves pumping via the boat's impeller - which is how I've always done it.

The problem with pumping is the I can't figure out how to get the thermostat out. The two top bolts are easy to remove, but the two in the back are impossible to reach. The five hoses with permanent-appearing clamps restrict the movement of the housing and the fuel injection intake is above the housing.

I'll call the dealer on Monday, but ... if someone here has the answer, I'd be grateful to hear it!

Thanks!

BCarnathan
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
The answer for anyone needing to know:

To remove the thermostat in a 2011 Ilmor in a MasterCraft ProStar 197, the air filter, intake manifold cover and the sensor on the port side of the thermostat housing must be removed. The thermostat housing, after being unbolted, must be pulled hard to clear the intake manifold and provide access to the rear-positioned bolts.

Thanks,

Bryan

BlackMV8
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
If you follow the first method on the owner’s manual you will not need to remove the thermostat. The hoses that will need to be removed should have worm clamps and not odeker clamps.