PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Winterization

skongolf
11-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Long time since I last posted and even longer since I was able to take the boat out. Anyway, what I am wondering is how many of you actually winterize your boats in the Phoenix/Mesa area? I plan on using the boat a few times during the winter so I don't want to do a full winterization. What do most of you do? Just drain the block after each use of is there more to it? Just curious and want some opinions. I never winterized my I/O and since this is my first winter with my x30, I don't want to mess it up. I do store the boat outdoors so yes I do have a couple concerns there. Several people have told me that it has to be freezing for about 4-5 days consistantly to need to worry, but I am not sure how accurate that is. Anyway, tips and advice is always appreciated.
Thanks

Huskie05
11-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Winterize, if its close to the house put a heat lamp under the engine block, it will raise the temp in the engine

mikeg205
11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
are you like near flagstaff or high desert? how cold does it get by you?....

Thrall
11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I only lived in the Phx area for 2 years and did not see it get cold enough to freeze an engine, plus the boat was in my garage so I didn't drain it. Like you used it a couple times during the winter.
However, for peace of mind, storing it outside, I'd drain it. No need to pull the impeller or hoses that may have a low spot or other fancy stuff IMO, but drain the block, exhaust, heater and sleep better at night. Only takes 10 min or so to pull the plugs if you've done it once or twice.
At very least, pay attention to the weather and make sure you can get to the boat to drain it if it's in storage, or throw a light under the engine cover if it's at home.

skongolf
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I am in Phx so it never gets consistently under freezing but will drop below freezing from time to time.
Unfortunately I have no way to get power to it at my storage facility and I can't store it at home. I found out where the exhaust manifold plugs are, but I am not sure where the other plugs are. Any suggestions on where to look on line so I can see where they are.

smoketu
11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I've had a boat down here the last three years and never drained it. It does sit inside a storage facility at all times though. I generally stabilize the gas, pull the plugs and fog cylinders, change the oil{tranny and engine}, lubricate the cables, give a good washing and waxing and store it away. I'll be honest last winter when it dipped into the high teens for a couple of nights my boat was sitting outside on a buddy's trailer while mine was getting redone. I was sweating it! I think if you were further up north like Cave Creek,I might be more concerned.

east tx skier
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Just drain it. It takes 5 minutes. That way, you are protected no matter what and ready to go in the spring with little effort. It's one of those things that's way too easy not to do.

Sodar
11-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I store my boat in Ehrenberg and usually just drain the block. I actually don't do it because of a freezing risk, but to get all the sand that gets caught in the engine. It's amazing how much sand can get picked up while running in the river.

FrankSchwab
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I've planned a couple of times to put a remote thermometer on the block so I could see how cold it got in the engine compartment for those few freezing days a year. Never got around to it, so I always drain it.

I agree with ETS - spend the extra 10 minutes and drain it after use. It's worth the peace of mind.

/frank

skongolf
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. Still trying to find out where the block plug is. I found the manifold plugs and they should be fun to get out. Only reason I ask is because my manual is packed away. Thanks

Thrall
11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. Still trying to find out where the block plug is. I found the manifold plugs and they should be fun to get out. Only reason I ask is because my manual is packed away. Thanks

There's tons of winterization info on this site aw well as download able manuals, I think.
But, block plugs are bottom of the block, each side, about in the center just above the oil pan. One or both will have a knock sensor or temp sender with a wrire connected to it. Disconnect the wire, use a 1" IIRC open end or box wrench to remove.
Also drain the heater if you have one. Real easy. Disconnect the heater hose at the intake manifold and blow it out. Water will drain out the raw water intake. This won't get it all out. I'd pour a little bit of RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid into the hose to lower the freezing point of the water that is left in there.
If you trans cooler is mounted horizontal, this will hold some water as well, disconnect and drain. If it's angled or vert like most V drives, then it will drain on it's own. Good to take it apart and inspect the screen for debris anyway.

kgrove
11-03-2011, 02:33 AM
I've lived in Phoenix my whole life and have never heard of anyone having a boat, car, or vehicle of any kind damaged from freezing. It just doesn't happen here. We only have maybe a dozen nights per year where the temperature drops below freezing, and when it does it is usually only by a couple degrees and stays below 32F for maybe 8-10 hours and it's back above by 8-9 am.

I had to look this up - the lowest overnight low ever recorded in Phoenix was 16F (1913). Last year we had the coldest front I ever remember coming through here and the low temp was I think around 20, so pretty close to the lowest temperature ever recorded. My boat was stored outside and unprotected (unless you call a sunbrella cover protection) - no damage. We have exposed metal plumbing outside our house - no damage. Truck parked outside - frost on the wind shield, but no damage... (just took the garden hose and washed off the frost so I could go to work). Sprinkler system? No damage. Drip irrigation? No damage. Long story short... Phoenix doesn't have a winter. Only fair since we have three summers each year.

If you're from up north and are so used to winterizing things that you just won't sleep well if you don't winterize your boat, go for it... it won't do any harm. If you want to save yourself the effort, however, I can promise you nothing will go wrong unless hell freezes over.

kgrove
11-03-2011, 02:35 AM
I should clarify... MY POST IS FOR PHOENIX ONLY! My advice sucks for 99% of other locations, but the original poster was asking about Phoenix. Plenty of good information here about winterizing for places that need it.

coz
11-03-2011, 07:40 AM
The only thing I worry about out here is if it's warm enough to go with the wetsuit or do I have to squeeze into the dry suit.

skongolf
11-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I should clarify... MY POST IS FOR PHOENIX ONLY! My advice sucks for 99% of other locations, but the original poster was asking about Phoenix. Plenty of good information here about winterizing for places that need it.

Yeah, I am in Mesa and I do remember last winter getting a little chilly. What sucks is getting an email from a specific boat dealer that says they saw freeze damage to boats last year. Makes you wonder. Of course this is the same dealer that wanted to rebuild the carb on my I/O boat when it had just been rebuilt 2 weeks prior. Anyway, I think I will just make sure to drain the manifolds and block when I do take it out to be a little safe since it seems pretty easy to do.

GoneBoatN
11-03-2011, 11:26 AM
... Anyway, I think I will just make sure to drain the manifolds and block when I do take it out to be a little safe since it seems pretty easy to do...

Good plan!

I also live in an area that does not really have freezing. Exposed pipes outside (coming from North East I really hate that). After living here for 12 years the pipes did freeze up once a few years back. But that was a cold night with high winds. I found out all I have to do is cover the exposed pipes with a little insulation to prevent the wind chill.

IMHO, for the few minutes it will take you to drain, it is just not worth the sleepless nights.

Brian B
11-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm not winterizing mine. I plan to take it out a few times. Its stored indoors, and when it gets really cold I will put a drop light under the hatch. I did however spend two whole days detailing it and changing fluids.....

jwardenjr
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I have had a place in Parker AZ for 14 years and never do anything to the boat for winter ... I guess I am spoiled never even thought about what people in cold climates have to do for winter. I was just out last weekend it was 88 degree air and 68 water ... and not a person on the water. I am heading out Friday again ...

coz
11-03-2011, 07:28 PM
IMHO, for the few minutes it will take you to drain, it is just not worth the sleepless nights.

Just wondering, do you guys not use your boats in the winter out here?.....I do.

coz
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I have had a place in Parker AZ for 14 years and never do anything to the boat for winter ... I guess I am spoiled never even thought about what people in cold climates have to do for winter. I was just out last weekend it was 88 degree air and 68 water ... and not a person on the water. I am heading out Friday again ...

In the 28 years we've had a house there I've seen it snow in Parker twice....and you're in for a cool down this weekend...lows are going to be in the low 40's :D

jwardenjr
11-03-2011, 08:42 PM
In the 28 years we've had a house there I've seen it snow in Parker twice....and you're in for a cool down this weekend...lows are going to be in the low 40's :D

I gots the drysuit last week ... its all worth it for this

mikeg205
11-03-2011, 09:30 PM

priceless!!!

GoneBoatN
11-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Just wondering, do you guys not use your boats in the winter out here?.....I do.

And so, this means?

coz
11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Got that right :headbang:

kgrove
11-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Every year I intend to use my boat in the winter. Unfortunately I can rarely find anyone brave enough to come with me from about mid November through maybe March. I'm sure this year be different.

mikeg205
11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Every year I intend to use my boat in the winter. Unfortunately I can rarely find anyone brave enough to come with me from about mid November through maybe March. I'm sure this year be different.

kgrove, too bad I don't live in phoenix...you would have some one to ski with all year...:cool:

jwardenjr
11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Got that right :headbang:

just learned to skyski and really loving it ... hope to see you out there soon ! got 55 hrs on the new boat already !

coz
11-04-2011, 08:02 AM
just learned to skyski and really loving it ... hope to see you out there soon ! got 55 hrs on the new boat already !

A friend of mine lives on Canyon lake (in Ca. not Az Canyon lake) and he invited my son and I to go out and give it a try (he's good). My son took to it right away and was riding the skyski like it was nothing....me on the other hand :mad: I had a helluva time with that thing......doing the hop hop flop :D

willyt
11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Watching this thread from Ohio sucks.... Just sayin'

tlenard45
11-04-2011, 09:49 AM
:cool: I live in Cave Creek AZ and plan on skiing all year on Bartlett Lake... 4 of us were out on Wednesday night skiing on glass... Oh, by the way I don't winterize, I keep my boat in our attached garage (it never goes below 45 deg. inside)

http://www.meetup.com/The-North-Phoenix-Die-Hard-Water-Ski-Meetup-Group/

kgrove
11-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Watching this thread from Ohio sucks.... Just sayin'

It all evens out in the end. Come here in August when it is 115 or show us pictures of cute lake houses where you walk out your back door to your dock.

mikeg205
11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
It all evens out in the end. Come here in August when it is 115 or show us pictures of cute lake houses where you walk out your back door to your dock.

115 in august only? but I hear its a dry heat.....:rolleyes:

GT500 MC
11-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Did you really just use that word on this forum?