PDA

View Full Version : Starter issues

rayatrogue
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a '89 tri-star, the starter keeps getting stuck running in the start position despite key position, does it even if the motor is running!....here's what i have done to solve the issue and it's still doing the same thing...So confused!

1)replaced with a new starter(old one was pretty rusty thought it was rust causing it to stay engaged)

2)replaced Starter Solenoid(After replacing starter, it was still getting power so i though solenoid was stuck) Still had the same issue.

3) Last component was the ignition switch...replaced the other two components was still getting stuck despite the ignition being set at off, run or acc......

note: I replaced all components, it worked properly for several start attempts, but since motor was cold after start attempt 3 the starter was stuck running again...only way to kill it is to turn off all power via my battery cutoff swtich....

please help!

FrankSchwab
11-01-2011, 03:12 PM
First figure out if the starter is being powered (solenoid engaged) when it's stuck, or if it's unpowered. If it's powered, the problem may be in the solenoid (either it's getting told to turn on, or it's unable to disengage). If there's no power, then it's likely the bendix / gear on the starter being unable to return. Check by putting a test light on the big-*ss cable going between the starter and the solenoid. It should only be lit when you rotate the key to the "start" position, and should turn off immediately when you release the key.

Hook up a test light on the Starter Solenoid to the wire coming from the ignition switch. The test light should only light when you rotate the key to the "Start" position, and should shut off as soon as you release the key. If the light stays lit, the problem is electrical and between the solenoid and the key.

That should get you started (oops, sorry about that...).

/frank

Kevin&Annie
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Had the same issue last year. Wanted to pull my hair out. Go get a HEAVY DUTY solenoid ( I have no idea what the difference is). This is what finally fixed ours.

1redTA
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
check the battery condition as well as the starter to battery wires

mikeg205
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
also make sure the bendix gear and flywheel are lubricate to allow bendix to freely move....

rayatrogue
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Kevin & Annie...i think your solution is gonna work.... i think it's the solenoid, I bought two new ones and it still did the same problem...

I removed all power to it, with a voltmeter i noticed it let power out to all posts so it's stuck....I gave it a gentle bump...checked again with my voltmeter, it we went back to normal....So it if looks like if crank it over for a long time or try too many start attempts the Solenoid locks letting power out to all posts...I just picked up the cheapest solenoid at Autozone...I think the solution of getting a heavy duty or a marine grade one will finally solv the problem....too bad i spent cash on a new starter, new solenoid and a new brass ignition.....At least with a new ignition switch i can finally confirm it's the solenoid!

what a nightmare!

thanks for the responses!

sam196370
11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I had same problem this summer and it turned out to be the starter relay - bought a new one for $25 and problem solved.

Kevin&Annie
11-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I was pulling my hair out before I found the HD solenoid. Everytime I started the boat I would have my wife open the motorbox and tap on the solenoid. Our friend even painted a small hammer with the same color scheme and a mastercraft logo on it. haha. Sold the boat...kept the hammer.